• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One more headphone desktop setup thread

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ah. I Have a USB-C to USB-A adaptor floating about somewhere.
You'll need to make sure it's an OTG adaptor/cable. The phone will not act as a host unless it receives a signal that is provided by the extra pin in the OTG adaptor/cable. You'll know whether or not it's working as an non OTG adaptor/cable won't won't connect the phone to the DAC.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You'll need to make sure it's an OTG adaptor/cable. The phone will not act as a host unless it receives a signal that is provided by the extra pin in the OTG adaptor/cable. You'll know whether or not it's working as an non OTG adaptor/cable won't won't connect the phone to the DAC.

Just a rider to that - some Android phones need "OTG" enabling in settings and it disables after a period of non use. Certainly Oneplus do this- not sure of others.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Update:

I took up Bigjacko's offer on the hd6xx's and I'm loving them! Mint.
Also got some takstar hf580's
Ordered topping l30/e30

Now I just have to sort out my source machine.
Did they arrive and have you get it working?

OP
K
Yes and yes.

Got it running, Need to finish up my listening station but it's looking good. Whisky is a bonus.

Attachments

• 20200809_200815.jpg
    20200809_200815.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

Sukie

Forum Donor
Yes and yes.

Got it running, Need to finish up my listening station but it's looking good. Whisky is a bonus.
Looks great. Really like the listening station. Happy listening.

Asylum Seeker

I have been lurking for the last few weeks (So glad I found a science based audio community) with the view to setting up a satisfying desktop setup. My original thoughts were to go for something as neutral as possible so I could use my initial setup as a benchmark of sorts as I grow into the hobby. Might just get something that sounds great though. Lowish budget but might be able to spread the costs over time.

I currently have a set of Sennheiser Momentum 1's and an Audiolab M-Dac Nano

My initial thoughts are as follows.

Sennhieser HD599 (2nd hand) around $250NZD
Akg k7xx (2nd had) $300NZD
Sennheiser HD6xx $336NZD plus shipping plus tax. Prob $420NZD
Grado RS1i (2nd had) possibly $500NZD

JDS Atom Amp $250NZD
Schiit Heresy $280NZD
JDS El Amp (Love that big knob) $500NZD
JDS Element ii (Love that big knob) $700NZD

Thoughts much appreciated.
Why do you want to be bound to a desk and tethered to a wall outlet?

OP
K
Why do you want to be bound to a desk and tethered to a wall outlet?
That’s what true wireless is for. I can’t handle cables if I’m on the move. I’m also generally not really listening, at least not in the same way as when I take time to really enjoy the music.

Asylum Seeker

Some of us don't need to move around.
Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't mean listening while moving around or on-the-go. What I mean is that you listen, while stationary, wherever you want in the home or|and outside the home (e.g. a café, the library, your summer cottage, a hotel room while away from home).

Last edited:

Asylum Seeker

That’s what true wireless is for. I can’t handle cables if I’m on the move. I’m also generally not really listening, at least not in the same way as when I take time to really enjoy the music.
See post #30.

Sukie

Forum Donor
Maybe you misunderstood me. I don't mean listening while moving around or on-the-go. What I mean is that you listen, while stationary, wherever you want in the home or|and outside the home (e.g. a café, the library, your summer cottage, a hotel room while away from home).
Get you.

For me, personally, I prefer a desktop set up for in the home and a mobile set up for outside. At home I sit in the same chair in the same room whenever I listen via headphones. A bit like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory!

Top Bottom