• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One microphone recordings

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
http://www.johncuniberti.com/onemic/

Below is a series of example excerpts. More videos are on the above website.

One microphone is a bit deceptive. It is one stereo ribbon mike in this case. AEA R88. So actually a Blumlein pair. Still a different perspective vs multi-mike and process.

My favorite way to record which should be no surprise.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Intriguing. What's the main difference with regards to puristic recordings with two mics - omni or cardioid or whatever - which are spaced?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Intriguing. What's the main difference with regards to puristic recordings with two mics - omni or cardioid or whatever - which are spaced?
They are not spaced! :D Sorry couldn't resist.

You can do single point recordings with two ribbons. In this case one stereo mic simply makes alignment and everything else simpler. You can do single point recordings with two cardioids or any of the others. The differences are mainly two things. A pair of figure 8s have identical (though reversed) stereo pickup on the front and the back. So you can spread musicians around better on two sides instead of simply in front of a pair of mics. Figure 8s also pick up more of the room sound or the sound of space than other single point stereo miking techniques. That is good if the space is okay. Maybe detrimental if the space is poor. When it works you get a better cushion of air around the sound of the instruments.

Another potential advantage that usually isn't fully obtained, is crossed 8s can reproduce the captured sound field more accurately than other techniques. This fully true only if your playback speakers are at a 90 degree angle from the listening position. Usually few people have speakers more than 60 degrees apart.

Whenever mics are spaced apart you de-correlate the two channels which causes noise to add artificial spaciousness. That can sound fine, but it isn't an accurate rendition of the space. This is true of cardioids or omnis. You also can get comb filtering effects that sometimes aren't objectionable, but aren't high fidelity to the original music. If you read the patents on stereo by Alan Blumlein you find that single point miking works for stereo as the playback effectively adds delay equivalent to the width of your head between channels (sort of like dummy head recordings over headphones). If you space mics apart you can alter the proper effective spacing and muck up the real stereo soundfield.

Finally, a purely blind subjective opinion. I have listened to at least a dozen online comparisons where a performance was recorded with multiple techniques using only two mics, and you were given the files to listen to and rank. You didn't know which technique was which until you made your choices. I always have chosen for enjoyment, natural sound and simply what seems the best quality those that were done with single point mic pairs. Normally a mid-side or blumlein I rank the highest. Single point cards are usually next. Spaced techniques vary more. A well done spaced pair of omnis can be very beguiling itself.

Now when I have recorded both ways you sometimes do a test and the false space of spaced pairs seems the way to go. Quite often people will use a single point pair as the main mikes and flank them with spaced omnis. The omnis give excellent bass and some space. This is blended in whatever amounts seem appropriate (often one third or so). So your imaging is anchored with the single point pair and some ambiance and low end come from the spaced omnis. Yet at the highest levels over a very good playback rig, the one pair in one point of space seems to work the very best.

A quick comment on ribbons. They just have this sound. It varies and some of the niceties seem common to most of them. They are quick and clean and smooth and musical. You can hear the deficiencies in frequency response and yet they seem to transcend that. Now something like the fine AEA R88's don't have much in the way of those deficiencies. One can also use bidirectional condenser mics in much the same way. Yet they don't quite sound the same. They sound excellent, yet different. One is a velocity gradient mic and the other is a pressure gradient mic. Something J_J can tell us more about if he will.

So these are some of the legion of reasons that Watchnerd mentioned.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Very enlighetening!

Can you point me to links to sites with examples of different recording techniques?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! Very enlighetening!

Can you point me to links to sites with examples of different recording techniques?

About to turn in here. I'll see about getting some examples tomorrow.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have often used a pair of mics in a Blumlein configuration to record an orchestra or big band (see e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blumlein_Pair). I tend to prefer it over standard X-Y. I have used M-S only rarely; nice when it works, but gives me too much opportunity to fiddle around, and I don't have a great pair of figure-8 pattern mics right now. I don't usually use ribbons live as they tend to be fragile (and do not have a ribbon now, got rid of most of my mics years ago and have just a few for occasional use).

There are tons of articles about mic techniques from Wikipedia to Sweetwater Sound to many online magazines and blogs as well as web sites for Recording and other magazines. The Wikipedia article linked above has links to tons of other articles that might help.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@oivavoi

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...comparative-samples-30k-mic-test-session.html

Here a good example of things I have heard. They test a number of high quality mics recording the same space, and let you compare. You can download and listen. A few pages in they tell you which file was done with which mics. A link for downloading the recordings in post #17.

Over time you run across such things pretty regularly on pro audio forums. Not all still have the files available for download. This one does so far. Sound On Sound magazine has done similar such tests making the files available at times, but I don't know of any still there for download right now.

Here is another from the same person. ORTF pair vs a pair of omni mikes spaced. Recorded concurrently. You can read the discussion, and the files to download are in post #13

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...ion-recording/331780-ortf-vs-spaced-pair.html

Here is one where the same technique using a pair of cardioids were used, but the recordings are of 6 different pairs. So you can get an idea how different mikes used identically can give a different sound and feel.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gea.../397790-six-cardio-sdc-pairs-grand-piano.html

This one is a vocal mic comparison Sweetwater music put together. Won't tell you much about different techniques, but they did test a few dozen different microphones. You get to hear just the vocal track or that track in a mix with other instruments. I think it is educational how the same vocal track from the same mic can leave a different impression when it is in a mix vs solo. The microphones range from very inexpensive to very expensive. Unfortunately (for me) my favorite couple of picks were two of the very expensive variety.

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/...campaign=mic-shootout&utm_content=thread-link

c1ferrari

Forum Donor
Hey - thanks for turning us on to this, Blumlein :D
So, this is one-take material...not multi-tracked? ITB?
What mic pres do you like with the AEA R88?

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey - thanks for turning us on to this, Blumlein :D
So, this is one-take material...not multi-tracked? ITB?
What mic pres do you like with the AEA R88?

I have only had vicarious listening to the AEA R88. Don't have one myself.

I do have the opinion most microphone preamps that are quiet enough with enough gain are like DACs a solved problem. Now some have intentional color. Making a clean high fidelity preamp doesn't seem to be difficult. Like speakers and amps you need to pay attention to input and output impedances.

The original post at the website was with only a little mastering as I recall the fellow saying. It is one pair of channels with no processing during the recording and only a little afterwards. Not much you can do with just a pair of channels. Don't know if it was one take or not. When I have done similar recordings it is common to do two or perhaps three takes. Sometimes a player misses a couple notes or something. You don't have multiple tracks so no chance to fix it in the mix. As to whether it is ITB or some hybrid I don't know. You could probably write John Cuniberti and ask. He has contact info at the bottom of his web page.

Last edited:

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@oivavoi

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...comparative-samples-30k-mic-test-session.html

Here a good example of things I have heard. They test a number of high quality mics recording the same space, and let you compare. You can download and listen. A few pages in they tell you which file was done with which mics. A link for downloading the recordings in post #17.

Over time you run across such things pretty regularly on pro audio forums. Not all still have the files available for download. This one does so far. Sound On Sound magazine has done similar such tests making the files available at times, but I don't know of any still there for download right now.

Here is another from the same person. ORTF pair vs a pair of omni mikes spaced. Recorded concurrently. You can read the discussion, and the files to download are in post #13

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/rem...ion-recording/331780-ortf-vs-spaced-pair.html

Here is one where the same technique using a pair of cardioids were used, but the recordings are of 6 different pairs. So you can get an idea how different mikes used identically can give a different sound and feel.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gea.../397790-six-cardio-sdc-pairs-grand-piano.html

This one is a vocal mic comparison Sweetwater music put together. Won't tell you much about different techniques, but they did test a few dozen different microphones. You get to hear just the vocal track or that track in a mix with other instruments. I think it is educational how the same vocal track from the same mic can leave a different impression when it is in a mix vs solo. The microphones range from very inexpensive to very expensive. Unfortunately (for me) my favorite couple of picks were two of the very expensive variety.

https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/...campaign=mic-shootout&utm_content=thread-link

Great! Thank you so much!

Top Bottom