• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ken Fritz - Audiophile Documentary

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Does it have measurements?;)

Reactions: Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My dream has measurements

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Available rooms vary so much....

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
At 42:00, he shows his vinyl collection room, and he has... 28,000 LPs.
Holy shamoley!!!!

Let's say 40 minutes per LP... That's 148667 hours = 778 days, or if he "only" listens 8 hours a day, more than 6 years!

...Winamp says I have only 58 days worth of (digital) music.

BobbyTimmons

Holy shamoley!!!!

Let's say 40 minutes per LP... That's 148667 hours = 778 days, or if he "only" listens 8 hours a day, more than 6 years!

...Winamp says I have only 58 days worth of (digital) music.
Sadly he has been diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and may only have a few years to live now, according to the end of the documentary. Apparently he invites anyone to listen to his vinyl though. Hopefully his listening room could be turned into a kind of museum after his death - I'd like to be able to listen to those speakers one day.

Moonhead

No WAF love here… shit they are ugly. :D
A bit over the top Maybe, but got to admire a bloke going all the Way.
thx for sharing.

Katji

Major Contributor
I'll take the rugs.

I've seen this pic a few times, just now realised he has Atmos grandfather clocks.

BobbyTimmons

I'll take the rugs.

I've seen this pic a few times, just now realised he has Atmos grandfather clocks.
I think he builds the grandfather clocks himself. There's a photo in there of him building some kind of grandfather clocks anyway.

dorirod

I remember seeing this, don't remember all the details, but I'm guessing he didn't do much in terms of measurements. Also the part about gluing and pouring concrete/rebar all over the place, quietest A/C, etc., and then having some huge grandfather clocks swinging all the time and rattling your teeth when they chime threw me off (did he mention taking them out when he listens or something?). That is some commitment to spending money and effort though :) Probably a descendant of pharaohs.

BobbyTimmons

I remember seeing this, don't remember all the details, but I'm guessing he didn't do much in terms of measurements. Also the part about gluing and pouring concrete/rebar all over the place, quietest A/C, etc., and then having some huge grandfather clocks swinging all the time and rattling your teeth when they chime threw me off (did he mention taking them out when he listens or something?). That is some commitment to spending money and effort though :) Probably a descendant of pharaohs.
On another forum (I think it was Steve Hoffman's forum), people who visited his listening room said that the clocks seem to be muted when the system is on. Apparently he invites anyone who emails him to visit and listen with him, although he's very ill at the moment.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It was a very nice but sad video to watch. Highly recommend people put in the time to watch the first and last videos. What dedication to the cause.

polmuaddib

Forum Donor
Great respect for Ken! Enormous undertaking.
There are some interesting concepts in his design. He basically made a surround sound setup. Wonder if he is playing vinyl in stereo or upmixing it through AVP/AVR of sorts....
As for speaker design, is that some line array or some sort of CBT concept?

Ayebee

Great respect for Ken! Enormous undertaking.
There are some interesting concepts in his design. He basically made a surround sound setup. Wonder if he is playing vinyl in stereo or upmixing it through AVP/AVR of sorts....
I was interested about this too, and found some discussions where Ken himself said that he only uses the centre and surround channels for home theatre. Considering the enormous undertaking I almost hoped that he made use of the whole system for music too, but apparently not. I really liked the movie, very fascinating.
As for speaker design, is that some line array or some sort of CBT concept?
It seems to be a "traditional" line array, no "shading business" going on...

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
First time I saw pictures of this system I thought things like another rich guy's beyond any scale "audiophile jewelry madness", but now that I watched the videos I have great respect for this man. The fact that he dreamed this big and had enough persistence, above anything, to follow all the way through... just wow.
It's so sad that he is terminally ill, but when I think of how many people work their entire life and don't even live long enough to enjoy anything... At least he has nothing to regret and achievement to be truly proud of.

Top Bottom