• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

One headphone that can lasts my whole life to choose from?

Sorry for bothering here! Newbie here.
So here I am trying to find the one headphone that can last me a lifetime. I have a Sennheiser HD 206 that I have used for years now and I am deciding to retire it due to its bad condition. I am not an audiophile, but I do want a headphone that can sound as accurate and neutral (harman?) as possible while having a build quality that at least won't break easily.
My budget is around and below 200 dollars and I think I am choosing between Sony MDR-7506 and Shure SRH440. I live in Chile so I can't get my hands on every single product to try. Are there any other recommended headphones that you experts might have in mind? My only rule of thumb would be it having a good accurate sound and long-lasting build quality.

buscon

I think you should add a little information like:
  • are you going to use it mostly at home or for travelling/commuting?
  • do you want an open-back (more realistic soundstage but more sound coming from outside) or closed back (less realistic soundstage but less sound coming from outside)?
You mentioned two headphones which are both closed back. In that case you should consider the AKG K371 too. The build quality for travelling is not the best, but the sound and price are both very good.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
When buying the SRH440 make sure it is the SRH440A version (the new one)
The headband of the original SRH440 will start to flake within a few years and become very ugly.
440-headband.jpg

The 440A headband is cloth and should last longer.

I replaced it with Tech-flex ... should last a lifetime.
refurb-srh440-kl.jpg

Sony is bright and bass-light, Shure is a bit bassier with sharpish treble.
Sony is more durable. Pads on both headphones may have to be replaced within a few years, certainly in your climate.

Last edited:

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In order of price (you didn't give budget):

Denon AH-D9200 (in terms of build quality, probably also 5200/7200, Ive just never seen them in person so not 100%)
DCA Noire
EtherCX
HD-600 variant of your choosing

9200 is dead simple to drive with dongle, others you may want an amp.

Edit: (lame-ass "haven't had my coffee" joke); used HD600 if open back is OK

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Don't know about the Shure, the Sony is nearly bulletproof and pretty comfortable. However, it was designed mostly for speech. Sonically, the Drop 6XX [Sennheiser HD 650 with a different paint job] is very easy on the ears, very comfortable for long term use. I suspect they aren't as durable as the Sonys, but they are easier to wear for a longer period of time. Open backed, FWIW.

MKreroo

I'm not sure about the neutrality of Beyers (EQ helps), but they are probably one of the most durable ones out there.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Sennheiser HD25-1 II allows you to easily buy spare parts to make it last a lifetime. Basically every little part is available, so you could (in theory) keep it going forever. :) It's not the BEST sounding headphone on the planet, but it's far from the worst and it might just be the most durable.

2fcfeb13b1a45df79406b6ec76030609.jpg

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure about the neutrality of Beyers (EQ helps), but they are probably one of the most durable ones out there.
I've some DT880's. Love the build quality and comfort. Not quite crazy about the sound.

I think two ESL's are among some that have held up to use over 20 years. The Stax Lamda, and the Koss ESP9. At one time both companies would send new pads upon request. Not sure if that is still the situation.

Despite all these high dollar options, I think the K371's I use now sound much better than any of those.

MKreroo

I've some DT880's. Love the build quality and comfort. Not quite crazy about the sound.

I think two ESL's are among some that have held up to use over 20 years. The Stax Lamda, and the Koss ESP9. At one time both companies would send new pads upon request. Not sure if that is still the situation.

Despite all these high dollar options, I think the K371's I use now sound much better than any of those.
how's the 371 holding up in terms of build? I was thinking about getting one but worry about it breaking in a few months

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Do you have an amp? are you ok with EQ?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
how's the 371 holding up in terms of build? I was thinking about getting one but worry about it breaking in a few months
I've not had them long yet. They are okay. I'm pretty sure they aren't as robust as some phones. Not flimsy, but not heavy duty like the DT880. The best thing is they don't cost a huge amount though not cheap enough to be disposable. So if you are rough on phones maybe not the choice.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) Sorry for bothering here! Newbie here.
2) So here I am trying to find the one headphone that can last me a lifetime.
1) Welcome. Never a bother.

2) It depends upon how long you intend to live. I've gotten about twenty years out of a headphone. But often less. Generally, the headband and foam around the ears starts to deteriorate after a while. YMMV

Then, its the connections. Intermittent electrical stuff.

My longest lived phones were a set of Senn HD-565, which I bought, I guess, in the late '80s or mid '90s. I replaced the connectors three times, the headband once, and the foam ear surrounds a couple of times. Eventually the plastic 'hinges' that connected the ear speaker cups to the band assembly became too loose to hold the thing together, and it was time to deep-six them.

I'm not a phone guy, so I can't relate to spending thousands of dollars on a headphone. But if I was considering that, I be thinking about a) do I expect to be able to buy parts for this down the road (you never know about that), and b) I'd examine the quality of construction before I bought. With real leather-type ear pads, and metal/wood construction using hardware, and replaceable cables, you're likely going to be ahead of the game.

Best...

Robin L

Master Contributor
Remember, we're talkin' 'bout under $200. I've seen drop 6XX go for slightly less than $200. But Sennheiser 600, 650, 660? All much closer to $400. I don't know if Drop products are available in Chile.

I've had the AKG 371 headphones for over a year. Not as durable as the Sony V-6/7506 but a little more comfortable. However, the 371s are much better sounding. It would be great if AKG could make a more durable version, maybe "AKG 471" with more metal in the build. I got my pair of both the AKG 371 and the Drop 6XX over a year ago, there are signs of wear with the AKG 'phones, but the only wear I see with the Drop 'phones is from the pads settling in. Everything still works for both sets of 'phones, the 371s are the ones I throw in the bag because of monitoring school musical performances that first go through a mixing board on the way to a Zoom assembly. I have to be careful not to rotate the right-hand cup of the 371 in the wrong direction, as it can be folded in both directions, unlike the left cup which is limited to rotating in one direction. And now the action on those headphones is loosening up, though they fit and stay on my head just fine. The AKG 'phones are more comfortable and sound better than the Sonys. Having gone through too many headphones, I can tell you that headphones are more likely to fall apart than any other audio component due to being portable, thrown into bags and such. I think that was the primary consideration for the design of the Sony headphones, intended to track dialog and be used as a production tool rather than as an audiophile product. If durability is your biggest consideration, the Sony 7506 would be a good choice. Having owned and used the 7506's close cousin the V-6 for many years, I'd say comfort and sound quality are better with the 371s, but the Sonys are harder to kill.

A few things about the Drop 6XX headphones. I don't throw them in the bag for monitoring because they are open backed. They are better sounding than the 371s, but the bass voicing for the 371s is nearly perfect and the headphones are efficient, so one can have both volume and bass with little power. and no EQ. The Sennheiser 'phones were not designed or intended for portable use. The Sony headphones don't have deep bass, are efficient so they play loud with little power but don't seem to eq in the bass without audible distortion. The 6XX 'phones do take to EQ, I usually use them with the desktop stereo with parametric EQ in the bass below 100 hz. The 6XX headphones with EQ are power-hungry but the Topping L30 headphone has more than enough power for them. When I plug my 6XX 'phones into my little Fiio M3K DAP the sound is usually fine, save that the bottom octaves are weak. Mind you, the same would also be true of the Sony headphones. But the AKG 371 into my low-power DAP is sonically fine in those bottom octaves.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
I have an original pair of Sennheiser HD-580, bought in 1999. They still sound and measure like new. Of course I've replaced the earpads, headband pad and cable several times. But everything else is original.
Within your budget, check out the Massdrop HD58x, which is a revised version of this headphone, using the same pads.

OP
K
The Sennheiser HD25-1 II allows you to easily buy spare parts to make it last a lifetime. Basically every little part is available, so you could (in theory) keep it going forever. :) It's not the BEST sounding headphone on the planet, but it's far from the worst and it might just be the most durable.

View attachment 193028
How about the current new HD 25 and the new HD 25 light? Or even the HD 26 model?
I might get into HD 25 but in my region the HD 25 is double the price of the HD 25 Light while having the same acoustics… I really wonder which one to choose from…
Should I go for HD 25? Or MDR-7506? Or even going the step up and buy a freaking HD 600?

buscon

If you are considering open back headphones, I would strongly suggest the Sennheiser HD 560s.
It is within your budget and it has an excellent sound.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD25 are on-ear. On-ears with a strong clamping force are not comfortable for most people. Not suited for longer listening sessions.
Sturdy but not hifi. They are intended for monitoring on site.

Sennheiser options: HD58X/HD600/650/6XX perhaps HD560S though I suspect support for those will end before that of the earlier mentioned ones.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
My Sennheiser HD-650 were purchased in 2009, the only thing I have done is replace the pads. If I was you, I would grab a pair of HD6XX and not look back.

Top Bottom