• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On the lookout for mixing headphones

tikky

Thanks for looking into that. Hmm, ok, well, that doesn't seem particularly ideal, because it seems as it's down to the user to simply flip between 3 EQ profiles to find the one they think is the most accurate, so there's no attempt to derive the "ear calibration" through photographs or measurements (not that I'm saying photographs would work, they probably wouldn't), but it's not "ear calibration", it's just 3 different EQ profiles that the user has to try to see which one they think is more accurate. It doesn't seem like a magic bullet for creating a headphone that is supposed to mimic a studio reference system (Anechoic Flat Speakers).
I totally agree with you. If we were to work together in a great studio, we'd likely hear things differently, and what sounds accurate to one of us might not be so accurate to the other. An ideal studio isn't an anechoic chamber. I've been in an anechoic chamber, and everything sounds overly bright there. You will end up asking for more bass response, even if the measurements indicate that it's perfectly flat. The best way to use profiles is to choose the one you like and mix your song with that profile. Later, when you mix-check your song, you can determine if it's too bright or dull, and adjust the profiles as needed. It's all about translation, and that's exactly what the VSX is designed for.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I totally agree with you. If we were to work together in a great studio, we'd likely hear things differently, and what sounds accurate to one of us might not be so accurate to the other. An ideal studio isn't an anechoic chamber. I've been in an anechoic chamber, and everything sounds overly bright there. You will end up asking for more bass response, even if the measurements indicate that it's perfectly flat. The best way to use profiles is to choose the one you like and mix your song with that profile. Later, when you mix-check your song, you can determine if it's too bright or dull, and adjust the profiles as needed. It's all about translation, and that's exactly what the VSX is designed for.
Anechoic Flat Speakers are the known best target, that doesn't mean you should listen to speakers in an Anechoic chamber, definitely not in fact, so you're confused on that one point. Anechoic Flat Speakers in a room are the proven best option. (The other stuff you talk about in your last two sentences does nothing to prove that the VSX profiles and headphone are any good for mixing or indeed "neutral").

tikky

Anechoic Flat Speakers are the known best target, that doesn't mean you should listen to speakers in an Anechoic chamber, definitely not in fact, so you're confused on that one point. Anechoic Flat Speakers in a room are the proven best option. (The other stuff you talk about in your last two sentences does nothing to prove that the VSX profiles and headphone are any good for mixing or indeed "neutral").
I thought you meant having a studio as good as an anechoic chamber. My bad.

No, but if you are a mix engineer you would definitely tell that they translate perfectly. It does not have to be flat or neutral the purpose of these headphones is "mix translation". It's really useless for other things like listening to music, watching movies, etc.

markanini

Major Contributor

No, but if you are a mix engineer you would definitely tell that they translate perfectly. It does not have to be flat or neutral the purpose of these headphones is "mix translation". It's really useless for other things like listening to music, watching movies, etc.
Being familiar with F Toole and S Olives findings make me see red flags....Either you get it or you don't.

Last edited:

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yeah, no worries re Anechoic Chamber. Well, I'm not overly impressed with what I've seen of the VSX Slate and I think it's dubious to think that they're better than some other headphones for mixing which are likely to be arguably more neutral, but I'm not gonna hammer on you....if they work for you I'm not gonna tell you that they don't work for you. Thanks for finding out some of the details of the headphone & posting them up in here.

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well, I bought Slate VSX Platinum to for $349, including tax and shipping. B&H with their card, so the actual CA tax is rebated against the price, and shipping is free. $100 off the usual $499 price courtesy of Slate, through tomorrow (12/1), and B&H had a $50 coupon to click. The $50 put me over the edge. At $349, it met my curiosity threshold and I won't cry if it gets little use. And if it serves as a decent alternate reference, it will be well worth it.

andymcbain

Well, I bought Slate VSX Platinum to for $349, including tax and shipping. B&H with their card, so the actual CA tax is rebated against the price, and shipping is free. $100 off the usual $499 price courtesy of Slate, through tomorrow (12/1), and B&H had a $50 coupon to click. The $50 put me over the edge. At $349, it met my curiosity threshold and I won't cry if it gets little use. And if it serves as a decent alternate reference, it will be well worth it.
Nice - well do let us know what you think. I mix and produce electronic music so the VSX has been an absolute blessing for sub bass, among other things :)

earlevel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Nice - well do let us know what you think. I mix and produce electronic music so the VSX has been an absolute blessing for sub bass, among other things :)
They came in today. I find them reasonably comfortable, they don't stand out much from my other headphones (AKG, Blue, Sony, all circumaural). The headband doesn't bother me at all, the ear cups of any of these will fatigue my ears with heat buildup given enough time—they're a little flatter, so a little more skin contact, might prove to be a little worse, but I don't wear headphones for hours. I'd seen comments that the cable was skimpy, but it seems fine to me, braided sheath.

I did some listening with my own tracks, just one that is in progress and only loosely mixed, but I hear a lot lately. Then I used SoundSource to listen to Apple Music reference tracks I had in a playlist. It not going to be "wow", unless a person's playback system or room is poor, then it will be a boon. Headphones are useful for scrutinizing a mix, and tracks, and there are advantage such as not requiring you to be properly seated the whole time. It seems like a good mixing tool, and at the price I paid, a bargain.

Top Bottom