• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On the fence ready to buy VTV 1ET400A Purifi or VTV NC502MP hypex...?

IowAudio

Forum Donor
On the fence VTV 1ET400A Purifi or VTV NC502MP hypex. Looking at a Topping D30 Pro as a DAC pre for it. Is there really a audible difference in fidelity between these or is it more sound sig.

iraweiss

On the fence VTV 1ET400A Purifi or VTV NC502MP hypex. Looking at a Topping D30 Pro as a DAC pre for it. Is there really a audible difference in fidelity between these or is it more sound sig.
Same here.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't owned those exact models but have owned both a Hypex NC252MP and Purifi with VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps. Both were very good, but IMHO, the Purifi is significantly better having superior transparency and dynamics. (This judgment is subjective, and as some would say, might only be my imagination :) )

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't owned those exact models but have owned both a Hypex NC252MP and Purifi with VTV buffer and Sparkos SS3602 op amps. Both were very good, but IMHO, the Purifi is significantly better having superior transparency and dynamics. (This judgment is subjective, and as some would say, might only be my imagination :) )

And it wouldn't be hard to imagine the superior transparency that $300 more should get you.;)

amarsicola

Forum Donor
"Only bats can hear the difference."
:D (half minute laughing at this genial joke and compelling truth)

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Whichever costs less. Only bats can hear the difference. The endless pursuit of numbers will get you nowhere.
I dunno. A friend of mine who was an accounting professor just sold his house for like $6 million, so pursuing numbers worked out pretty well for him.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Purifi needs a buffer and most companies try to save money and provide their own buffer which worsens the performance.
nCore does not need buffer, so there is less chance for manufacturers to screw the design. No custom schemes/chips needed.
So, my vote goes to nCore.
Then there r cheap nCore "clones/redisigns" ... :)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Purifi needs a buffer and most companies try to save money and provide their own buffer which worsens the performance.
nCore does not need buffer, so there is less chance for manufacturers to screw the design. No custom schemes/chips needed.
So, my vote goes to nCore.
Then there r cheap nCore "clones/redisigns" ... :)

To avoid having the make the buffer choice decision, one can opt for the Eigenkat model such as NAD, VTV's, or DIY though only two channels are offered (except for the DIY route I guess).

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got my first Buckeye amp, NC502MP. I like it a lot so far, see no reason to buy the much more expensive brand name ones such as NAD and ATI's. The Ghent audio case does look very plain, basic and may not look good enough to some, but for money it looks good enough to me.:)

Last edited:

beren777

Building a Purifi EVAL1 amp is simple, but it's probably cheaper and faster to buy the VTV version of the EVAL1 given issues with PSU availability.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Building a Purifi EVAL1 amp is simple, but it's probably cheaper and faster to buy the VTV version of the EVAL1 given issues with PSU availability.

That's why I bought from VTV, got it within a few days and yes it would have cost me much more to buy the parts for DIY even if the PSU was available (it wasn't at the time). Clearly Purifi isn't keen on people building it themselves.

amper42

Major Contributor
That's why I bought from VTV, got it within a few days and yes it would have cost me much more to buy the parts for DIY even if the PSU was available (it wasn't at the time). Clearly Purifi isn't keen on people building it themselves.
@peng - Now that you have both the Purifi from VTV and the NC502MP from Buckeye would you be willing to share which one is your favorite sound wise? Thanks!

Schollaudio

Just got my first Buckeye amp, NC502MP. I like it a lot so far, see no reason to by the much more expensive brand name ones such as NAD and ATI's. The Ghent audio case does look very plain, basic and may not look good enough to some, but for money it looks good enough to me.:)
Get yourself a nice little piece of wood (or whatever) and prop it up in front.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get yourself a nice little piece of wood (or whatever) and prop it up in front.

Again, to me it looks good enough. I actually thought the Ghentaudio cases look better than many brand name power amps. It just look so weird that this 350/500 W NCore amp is so much smaller than all my preamps including my Sonica and HA-1 headphone amps. The VTV Eigentakt amp is at least larger than the Oppos. So when put them side by side it will take some time getting use to.:D

1636895253682.jpeg

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@peng - Now that you have both the Purifi from VTV and the NC502MP from Buckeye would you be willing to share which one is your favorite sound wise? Thanks!

It is going to take some time to find out if I would actually favor one over the other in terms of "favorite sound wise..". At the moment, my impression is that this thing does not have a different sound than any of my other amps. May be because of the engineer thing, I am biased in the sense that I know specs and measurements are all one needs, anything the ears/brains tell us are not anecdotal, and in a blind listening comparison all such amps will in fact do the same "sound wise".

If you look at the pretty comprehensive ASR measurements (a lot more than just SINAD) will not support any claims of one being more transparent than the other unless those who make such claims did their comparisons in tightly controlled tests and followed DBT protocol.

Regardless, I can certainly post my subjective findings, but it will take at least a few days for me to do some serious music listening using the best media contents I have in my collection.

amper42

Major Contributor
It is going to take some time to find out if I would actually favor one over the other in terms of "favorite sound wise..". At the moment, my impression is that this thing does not have a different sound than any of my other amps. May be because of the engineer thing, I am biased in the sense that I know specs and measurements are all one needs, anything the ears/brains tell us are not anecdotal, and in a blind listening comparison all such amps will in fact do the same "sound wise".

If you look at the pretty comprehensive ASR measurements (a lot more than just SINAD) will not support any claims of one being more transparent than the other unless those who make such claims did their comparisons in tightly controlled tests and followed DBT protocol.

Regardless, I can certainly post my subjective findings, but it will take at least a few days for me to do some serious music listening using the best media contents I have in my collection.

If the Purifi and the NC502MP are indistinguishable to your ear and feature taste then the NC502MP at 40% less (or more) than the Purifi seems like an easy choice.

My Buckeye NC502MP amps (stock case) are scheduled to arrive mid. Dec. It will be interesting to compare them to my March Audio P452 Purifi amp. My Purifi amp is really clear and powerful. But it makes a soft single "tick" in the speakers when it's first turned on. Do you hear any noise from the Buckeye NC502MP when turned on or off?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Again, to me it looks good enough. I actually thought the Ghentaudio cases look better than many brand name power amps. It just look so weird that this 350/500 W NCore amp is so much smaller than all my preamps including my Sonica and HA-1 headphone amps. The VTV Eigentakt amp is at least larger than the Oppos. So when put them side by side it will take some time getting use to.:D

View attachment 165340
That silver front plate is very nice! Congrats.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the Purifi and the NC502MP are indistinguishable to your ear and feature taste then the NC502MP at 40% less (or more) than the Purifi seems like an easy choice.

Too early for me to say, but I do like the bigger case for the Purifi and it seems to run cooler probably because of that single fact. You can see that its size is comparable to the Sonica DAC's, still much smaller than my smallest preamp.

1636904539748.jpeg

Top Bottom