• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On paper experiment of a Bessel line array

ppataki

Major Contributor
I haven't personally, but just confirmed it with my friend, he is going ahead with the project that I have descibed above. We will have some hands-on experience then.
One additional note I forgot to mention in my last post: he is also using Dirac Live - that does optimize phase too, so I hope it will work out well.
As soon as the project starts I will open a separate thread for it (ie. when the speakers arrive - I'd say 3 months at least, knowing the current stock/transport challenges)

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi guys, did somebody hear those large arrays in the average living room or even a bedroom ?

What is the max distance between the drivers (from a practical point of view)?
I’d say you’ll want to have them as close as possible.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't personally, but just confirmed it with my friend, he is going ahead with the project that I have descibed above. We will have some hands-on experience then.
One additional note I forgot to mention in my last post: he is also using Dirac Live - that does optimize phase too, so I hope it will work out well.
As soon as the project starts I will open a separate thread for it (ie. when the speakers arrive - I'd say 3 months at least, knowing the current stock/transport challenges)
Would be interesting to see what Dirac makes of this.. keep us posted!

ppataki

Major Contributor
Would be interesting to see what Dirac makes of this.. keep us posted!
Most definitely I will :)
I am also super-curious about it...
The BassBox Pro simulations that I did for him look extremely promising, but of course they would not show the eventual phase (in)coherence, comb filtering, etc. - but again, I do have high hopes for Dirac based on my experience with a number of my own projects it can indeed do miracles

Yevhen

Forum Donor
I’d say you’ll want to have them as close as possible.
But then from practical point of view, would you invest into 10 drivers instead of 5 or rather spend that extra budget on the slightly better drivers?

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But then from practical point of view, would you invest into 10 drivers instead of 5 or rather spend that extra budget on the slightly better drivers?
It’s not a line array ;) more is not always better. If you look at the patent and do some simulations, you’ll see that a 7(6) driver array will not necessarily perform better. You also can’t just stack two 5 driver arrays. It’s needs the special Bessel shading to work.

Yevhen

Forum Donor
Would this thing also sound like an array?
DYNAUDIO-EVIDENCE-TEMPTATION.jpg

Yevhen

Forum Donor
In my imagination it gives a feeling like the source sound is somewhere far from the listener. Something that you cannot get with a tiny point source speaker

ppataki

Major Contributor
FYI @Yevhen this is another project intended into my living room:
I guess this is closer to what you are asking for

BenB

In my imagination it gives a feeling like the source sound is somewhere far from the listener. Something that you cannot get with a tiny point source speaker
In my experience, an exaggerated source distance is not a characteristic sound of array speakers.

Top Bottom