• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On My New Topping DX3 Pro

Androxylo

Does DX3pro sound better if connected to a separate pre-amp instead of using it in preamp mode? What about external passive preamp, like Schiit Saga?

SEKLEM

Does DX3pro sound better if connected to a separate pre-amp instead of using it in preamp mode? What about external passive preamp, like Schiit Saga?

It should get you a better signal to noise ratio by going direct to the amplifier, essentially nothing gets in its way. The DX3 does approximately 2v which is enough to drive most amplifiers to full output, so headroom shouldn’t be an issue. The passive pre would be unnecessary unless you intend to run the DX3 in DAC mode with fixed output to safeguard your amplifier from sudden full output if you make a mishap with the remote or press the knob on the DX3 one too many times.

o2so

Forum Donor
It should get you a better signal to noise ratio by going direct to the amplifier, essentially nothing gets in its way. The DX3 does approximately 2v which is enough to drive most amplifiers to full output, so headroom shouldn’t be an issue. The passive pre would be unnecessary unless you intend to run the DX3 in DAC mode with fixed output to safeguard your amplifier from sudden full output if you make a mishap with the remote or press the knob on the DX3 one too many times.

Hi, is the volume controlled in the digital domain when used as a preamp? And does this affect sound quality at low volume levels compared to an analogue preamp, or is this another myth?

SEKLEM

Hi, is the volume controlled in the digital domain when used as a preamp? And does this affect sound quality at low volume levels compared to an analogue preamp, or is this another myth?

Digital domain I believe. It seems to be excellent to me, at low levels and high.

Top Bottom