• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On Moore's Law, Code And The Future

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Tks

Major Contributor
Moore's Law, more like Moore's Lie(which I am glad Moore himself saw as a circlejerk that will be coming to an end when he spoke about it in 2010), a nonsensical observation as stupid as the economics that drive the majority of the world. What I mean by this is - all economics today depend on economic activity today to continue growing. Stagnation isn't even possible (these are what economists call recessions) or heaven-forbid a shrinkage in economic activity (this is what we call depressions).

SO, the actual problem you might ask? Well perpetual growth on a finite planet is simply a lunacy ridden machination, in the same way Moore's Law was in its' inception (Oh and to any literalists harking on the term "finite planet" in this case, it simply means depletion of resources faster than they can be replenished). Likewise with Moore's Law.. It's not impossible keep some semblance of it, as the process of ephemeralization(doing more with less basically put) is interestingly continuing overall. We can even see it in audio for example with the various Class of amplification, and in computing efficiency gains through every node shrink (though Intel is making a complete mockery of this trend with their disastrous handling of the 10nm process they've been fucking up).

Adding more "programmers" is all nice and well, but it seems at virtually every corner of our existence every life supporting mechanism is being strained to breaking points. It's a long time coming, but as the article mentions, it may be time to start quelling expectations. Though what this means is, demand has to lessen, which is easier said than done. But luckily most people couldn't care less about the pace of the world. Where this really becomes an issue, is in industry.

As for the programmers, I think we need more scientists, rather than code monkeys. Barring any logic/inventive explosions (like someone discovering a whole new paradigm that sparks an entirely new field of computing research) I see no solutions to this stagnation issue. Though you will from time to time see the odd person here and there sing the praises of quantum computing, and for that, we'll need much more than simply programmers.

Also personally speaking, while we're at it, can we get some better education systems? They resemble the halls of governments (adaptation to trends slower than biological evolution itself) outside of schools like MIT that foster some semblance of against-the-grain ingenuity and experimentation.

Top Bottom