• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

On Class D Amplifiers Measurements

maty

Major Contributor
But SNR-A at 1 watt 71 dB and...

54357-wzmacniacz_devialet_expert_140pro-audiocompl-lab3.jpg

At least here the Polish THD+N graph is coincident with Stereophile.

maty

Major Contributor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
One more question regarding NC400 and high capacitance load, like some ESL's mentioned in other threads. This is Hypex NC400 loaded with 6.8uF capacitor, no input signal. The amplifier oscillates at base frequency of about 52kHz - probably in interaction with its output filter. Output swing of oscillations is 3.4V1p-p. Is it OK, no problem for electrostats?

1575805782723.png

When it comes to step response with the capacitive load mentioned, it looks like this then:
1575805928703.png

(This record is measured with a LPF filter, so the carrier frequency is not visible and oscillation amplitude is reduced)

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Presumably, the electrostatics have a transformer?

(1.2V RMS not being a big deal notwithstanding)

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
One more question regarding NC400 and high capacitance load, like some ESL's mentioned in other threads. This is Hypex NC400 loaded with 6.8uF capacitor, no input signal. The amplifier oscillates at base frequency of about 52kHz - probably in interaction with its output filter. Output swing of oscillations is 3.4V1p-p. Is it OK, no problem for electrostats?

View attachment 41755

When it comes to step response with the capacitive load mentioned, it looks like this then:
View attachment 41756
(This record is measured with a LPF filter, so the carrier frequency is not visible and oscillation amplitude is reduced)

ESLs are not a purely capacitive load at 6.8 uf

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
PMA knows better, I don't know what he's up to.

I wonder what happens to many class AB amps if you put a 6.8 uF cap across the output? :rolleyes:

I often check that with a 2.2uF cap. Some are fine, some break into oscillation.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Precisely. Trying to make out this is a class d issue is just BS.

Sorta. Pavel is an extremely smart guy whom I respect a LOT, and in his mind, he's digging for potential failure modes. And of course, there are always failure modes in real-world systems, but I'm skeptical of their relevance for the intended purpose.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Sorta. Pavel is an extremely smart guy whom I respect a LOT, and in his mind, he's digging for potential failure modes. And of course, there are always failure modes in real-world systems, but I'm skeptical of their relevance for the intended purpose.

I know he is, I have come across his work previously, which is why I find this all a bit odd. There is no speaker load that's just a pure high capacitance, he knows an ESL will have an inductive transformer in series plus some resitance.

If you place that cap across an AB amp it will almost certainly break that too. All amps can go unstable into highly capacitive loads. So what are we learning?

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you place that cap across an AB amp it will almost certainly break that too. So what are we learning?

“Doctor, it hurts every time I do this.”
“Don’t do that.”

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
666SLA1JAfig01.jpg

This gets pretty far toward a cap at 1.5 ohm and negative 80 degrees around 20k. Never bothered the class D Wyred4Sound amp that I have.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Clarification: My comments on square-wave (slew) testing and stability are generic. I barely noticed they were in a thread on class D amplifiers (did not notice, actually, or pay attention). It is the sort of testing I would apply to any amplifier of any class. Nor should my comments be used to infer anything about any particular amplifier (I do not recall mentioning any specific amps but I do not remember every post).

Added due to email claiming I was anti-class D, which is not the case and took me quite off-guard.

Reactions: pma

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
Clarification: My comments on square-wave (slew) testing and stability are generic. I barely noticed they were in a thread on class D amplifiers (did not notice, actually, or pay attention). It is the sort of testing I would apply to any amplifier of any class. Nor should my comments be used to infer anything about any particular amplifier (I do not recall mentioning any specific amps but I do not remember every post).

Added due to email claiming I was anti-class D, which is not the case and took me quite off-guard.

Really? Someone did that? To me the context of your comments was obvious, ie generic.

Top Bottom