• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Omnidirectional loudspeakers ?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Very much agree with you! Although given that many people will - whether owing to budget, space, or habit - have only two speakers in their room, I don't think it's fruitless to ask what the best way to do it is, within this limitation.
I think multcihannels can be smaller than conventional stereo speakers (part physics and part psychoacoustics, I reckon), so you can buy smaller-cheaper channels.

5 x Genelec 8341 and 2 x 7380 would be more than most «need». Cost is about $25k for a complete system. How much is a pair of Revels?

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Multichannel requires a tighter sweetspot, though, unlike omni speakers. But I agree, multichannel is probably the superior alternative for those who can manage to arrange it in their homes - at least in the sweet spot.
I am not so sure about the sweetspot thing. When the sound is immersive, in a genuine way, I think you will think of multi-channel sweetspot a bit differently compared to stereo sweetspot.

It’s not like omni math is intelligent and creates a sweetspot wherever you want it either ;)

andreasmaaan

Major Contributor
Patreon Donor
I am not so sure about the sweetspot thing. When the sound is immersive, in a genuine way, I think you will think of multi-channel sweetspot a bit differently compared to stereo sweetspot.

It’s not like omni math is intelligent and creates a sweetspot wherever you want it either ;)
Do you have a multich setup @svart-hvitt? I think I'm gonna do one in this studio I'm building when I finally finish it...

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Do you have a multich setup @svart-hvitt? I think I'm gonna do one in this studio I'm building when I finally finish it...
I heard a mch setup based on even smaller Genelecs. And this convinced me how good a mch setup based on good speakers in a DSP environment can be. The clarity was mind boggling! I heard the same sound in another «competent» setup (no DSP, conventional bigger speakers) and the difference was depressing... I walked around in the circle, of say 3-3.5 meters in diameter, and the sound was «there» all the time.

I have one: 5 focal trio + 6 focal shape small one + 2 subs. I use a daw and a NUGEN plugin to generate a 5.2.4 sound.
After that I have a convolution plugin for room correction (with various latency trade off).

The main surprise for me is that it is much harder to hear the room correction effect. In stereo that’s obvious.

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a set of the multichannel Beethoven symphonies from Tacet I’m waiting to try.
Performance is OK if a bit scrappy. Sound is too unnaturally immersive, by intention, for my enjoyment.

IMO multichannel done well in the new frontier in better sound reproduction, but it’s impractical for most people in most rooms.
All it takes is a commitment.

Kal Rubinson

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Agreed. The concept of a sweet spot is a result the severely constrained soundstage present in stereo. Taking that concept to a good multichannel system shifts the onus to the production of the source material.

MattHooper

I think @Floyd Toole asks the right question: Why not bring the right equipment to the job?

If the job is creating an immersive sound, multichannel is the tool. Choose good speakers on conventional metrics to do the job of each channel.
That certainly makes sense if taken as a narrow goal, and for certain tastes.

On the other hand, many people find that two speakers is the most they want to deal with, and getting a nice spacious stereo image isn't that hard with two speakers.

In my home theater/listening room I have both: A dedicated surround set up (with projection screen) and a separate system for 2 channel (a pair of speakers for two channel listening, positioned closer to the seating position, and driven by a separate amps/sources). That's of course not the "easy way" but an even more complex route than most want to go. I listen to music on both systems. But I generally prefer listening via the stereo speakers. While the sound doesn't surround me to the degree of the surround sound, the two channel presentation is still extremely spacious and quite immersive (I've often had guests listening ask if it was surround sound!), and the sense of instruments detached from speakers and floating in localized focused space is more pleasurable and 'convincing' to me.

I don't think my surround sound set up is too bad btw: At least one professional home theater installer said it was the most coherent, immersive home set up he'd heard. However, I recognize there are leagues in surround sound performance beyond what I have (which is merely a good 5.0 system). I'm just commenting that, sure going all out for a killer surround system will get the most sonic immersion, but there are still reasonable positions on why many don't go that route over a 2 channel set up which can still produce an excellent spatial presentation without the added complexity.

Theo

What about well focused stereo speakers (Kii or D&D, for example) to which you add convolution reverberation to mimic omni? So you get to choose;)
While, of course, surround 5.1 would be better at this game:)

One of the most memorable in store listening experiences I ever had was with the old Magnepan 8 panel setup.
That was my first exposure to Magnepan as well. Some boutique audio store in the SF-Berkeley area. Not omni-directional but bipolar, the Tympani I-D 8 panel array was driven by a stack of Bryston amps and the sound was glorious.

It took decades but I finally ended up with a set of IIIa whose crossovers I tweaked and added a big 18" sub to the mix. They were used but in great condition with new tweeter ribbons. Made a great 1999 Christmas gift to myself. Been using them ever since. Drive them with Odyssey Audio monoblocks.

Last edited:
Sounds like what they say about boats. People love Maggies. For whatever reason there are ML electrostatics in every Magnolia Design store making them the most available panel speaker in the USA. However, Harman has done some great research and their products show it.

Just because there is a statistically significant preference does not mean everyone has that preference.
Tastes can change with time. In 1989 I heard the MG 1.6 at a dealer where I had recently purchased a DAC, fell in love, took them home and never brought them back. They replaced a DIY speaker based on the KEF CS7.

15 years later I helped a colleague to find new speakers, and on this quest we finally went to a dealer for musicians who had lots of nearfield studio monitors ready to hear. There my colleague bought a pair of small 3-way active studio monitors. I liked them as well but financially they were a bit out of reach, and I was not very unsatisfied with the Maggies. About 6 months later I stumbled about a very good offer in the bay and bought them. The first thought which entered my mind after hearing them for the first time in my home: "I didn't know the Maggies were sooo bad!". So clean, so precise, such a solid imaging, such a deep bass. On the other hand the Maggies were more forgiving with really bad recordings - everything sounded nice and "big".

But going back was no longer an option. After another 15 years these monitors are still running (while I write this and listen to Metallica black album declipped), just helped by a subwoofer in the mean time.