• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OMG, the forum was offline for an update...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So a few hours ago, to my great dismay, my eyes started twitching after I found out that the forum was offline for an update o_O. Those minutes were unbearable.. Was the forum finally hacked by the audiophile cabal? Would the forum ever come back? Would it still be the same?

Luckily as it turns out, it was just a regular update, and the forum seems to be once more safe :cool:. So if the cabal has taken over, it surely did it very secretly...

I do notice some changes though. Some good, some bad. I especially noticed that the "alerts" features has become a bit more confusing. Or possible just something to get used to. Would be nice to have a list of new and changed features. There might be new things of interest for users? Or possibly some annoying things can be configured to make the experience better? Might be fun to discuss...

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Notice in Sinister voice over:

“There is nothing wrong with your computer/Tablet screen. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume. If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical. We can roll the image, make it flutter. We can change the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity. For the near future, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear. We repeat: There is nothing wrong with your Computer/Tablet screen. You are about to participate in a great adventure. You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.”

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Who knows? Maybe the aliens have taken over?
I tell you bro, when amir says his stealth with new cables, sounds so..o much better. We are into deep shiit. ;)

tomtoo

Major Contributor
During the minutes the forum was offline, I realized how much info would be lost if it ever disappeared completely.
Strange, me too. Imagine all that data lost? Hope they have a bulletproof backup strategy.

Last edited:
OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh, I found another annoying thing: you (at least by default) no longer see the number of likes somebody has. It used to be below the messages count, now it seems to be gone. It's kind of a street(forum) cred identifier, always handy to have (or at least the ratio to messages is a good indicator).

raif71

Major Contributor
Was there an announcement that the forum would be updated? I suppose a few days announcement in advance would allay some fears that the site was taken down or subjected to ransom etc. :)

raif71

Major Contributor
Oh, I found another annoying thing: you (at least by default) no longer see the number of likes somebody has. It used to be below the messages count, now it seems to be gone. It's kind of a street(forum) cred identifier, always handy to have (or at least the ratio to messages is a good indicator).
The new "Likes" has been termed as "Reaction Score". One can see this hovering the mouse over the user's name. The new term kinda feels official and professional like :eek: Maybe it's just me

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
hovering the mouse
What’s a mouse? I haven’t used one of those in almost a decade :facepalm:… Yes, you can still find the score, but it needs user interaction => annoying

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The new "Likes" has been termed as "Reaction Score". One can see this hovering the mouse over the user's name. The new term kinda feels official and professional like :eek: Maybe it's just me

On a thouch you have to stay on the like to see it.OMG... this opens new worlds. ;)

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s a mouse? I haven’t used one of those in almost a decade :facepalm:… Yes, you can still find the score, but it needs user interaction => annoying
I've been living mouse-free as well, but they are useful for professional graphical work.

Re: Cumulative Reaction Score: You can hover over a profile avatar or name and it pops up.

OP
voodooless

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
On a thouch you have to stay on the like to see it.OMG... this opens new worlds. ;)
Wow, mind blown o_O.. again crappy UX, but nice functionality.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sorry about that you all. I didn't realize our server consultant was going to do the switchover when I went to sleep. He is on UK time so I wasn't aware of it till now. I also have to go get my car fixed so can't do anything about changes. Continue to document what you see as an issue and I will start working on them a few hours from now when I get back.

Top Bottom