• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

woofersus

Audio Company
I bought a 55" Sony A8H a year and a half ago so I'm a little behind the latest but it's been great. LG makes all the panels so they're really close in terms of picture quality and it mostly comes down to processing and features which one you should get. Compared to the same-generation LG my Sony doesn't have HDMI 2.1 which matters if you're gaming on the latest consoles, but it has superior image processing for movies and TV. I rarely game and have an older console and mostly wanted sports to look good and am very sensitive to jitter and the consensus of reviews was the Sony had slightly better motion handling. Also, I preferred the Android TV interface over the LG system.

I came from a Panasonic plasma and like many was loathe to give it up. On the downside, the OLED motion handling is still not quite as good as plasma. It's much better than LCD, though and I find it good enough not to notice 90% of the time. (and it's not sports that are problematic - it's lower framerate cinematic content) On the plus side the colors, contrast, and brightness are unequivocally better, plus 4k resolution and HDR. Happily, off-angle viewing is similarly excellent.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nostalgia can be both ole friend and enemy.
IMO video's come a long way since the days of Plasma

Last edited:

ExEnemy

So, I've decided it's time to make the leap and get an OLED. My only issue is deciding between the LG C1 and The Sony A80J.
With price matching at Best Buy, both are virtually identical in price. My research tells me both have their strengths and weaknesses. So, I would like to hear from actual owners and of course any members opinions.

I spent a few days trying to check them out in a side-by-side comparison, and the differences are very small to my eye. Sound wise, I like the fact the Sony's sound is emitted from the screen itself. That being said, the LG didn't sound bad as far as a TV goes. Picture wise, they were almost indistinguishable from one another. Maybe the only area I would give the advantage to Sony, was the shadow or gray detail, so to speak.
Yesterday, at the end of the day, I was able to view the panels when turned off and the hours of usage. While the LG had slightly 100+ hours on it over the Sony, there was no sign of burn in. The Sony however, had a very faint hint ( i mean faint, you had to look for it) of burn in. Granted this could be due to the Stores constantly playing the same bright content over and over for hours on end. Therefore, it begs the question then, does LG have better anti-burn in protection?
Seeing how this TV purchase is meant to last me at the very least 10 years, I would like as much input before I go ahead and pull the trigger.
Thank you in advance for your input.
One thing about Sony is their 4k upscaler/sharpener is a class above the rest. I even turn it on while playing 4k contents, it's that good. Quality wise C1 and 80j are pretty similar, you can check rtings.com for detailed comparison. Personally if they are similar in price i'll always go for Sony just for their upscaler.

Last edited:

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Out of interest @Slayer, have you considered Sony’s 2022 mini-LED offerings?

They seem to be almost best of both worlds.

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Out of interest @Slayer, have you considered Sony’s 2022 mini-LED offerings?

They seem to be almost best of both worlds.
I actually looked very closely at the 65x95k. While it did look good, I still think there is work that needs to be done. Around lettering and whites, you could see a slight blooming and if I could see that in the store, I know it would be worse in the home.
The OLED looked better in my opinion. Plus for the same size offerings, the mini led is $1,000 more. To me that just made no sense. I do think mini led's are probably the future for SOTA tv's, I just don't think these first generations are quite up to where they should be. I'm sure by the 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen they will be killer, but this first gen in my opinion is not worth what they are asking.

65'' is about the perfect size for me, don't really need anything much larger, plus wrangling around anything larger gets to be a pain in the rear. I'm not much for asking for help, so i'll need to be able to do the moving and lifting myself. Also $2k is the budget I have set, anything lower is just a bonus.
FYI, Best Buy & Amazon have the LG G1s on sale today
The LG C1 and the Sony A80J have both been on sale at Best Buy here locally for a couple of weeks.
I just wish I could find out if they will go lower on the 4th of July sale day.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

steve59

Major Contributor
I bought the Sony A80j oled 65"

OP
S

Slayer

Well, the decision just got a little tougher, sending my brain into overload.
I just now got a call from the store manager i had been dealing with. She informed me, today only the LG G1 is on sale.
65'' today is $1699. To many choices, almost feel like I should just throw a dart at the board and let it decide. Grrrr

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well, the decision just got a little tougher, sending my brain into overload.
I just now got a call from the store manager i had been dealing with. She informed me, today only the LG G1 is on sale.
65'' today is $1699. To many choices, almost feel like I should just throw a dart at the board and let it decide. Grrrr
Most in this thread seem happier with the Sony. Objectively speaking it is better in upscaling and some say Sony is still better in motion handeling. If the rest is just more or less equal, why not just choose the sony and make sure you can return it if you aren't happy?

OP
S

Slayer

why not just choose the sony and make sure you can return it if you aren't happy?
Because that would make sense and be too easy of a decision. LOL
To make the decision even harder, they are now out of the sony and only have the store display. No store displays for me, no way. No date on when will be in stock, that might hint at people in this area really liking the sony.
Unless there is a flaw with the tv, whatever one i get, will be it. No going back and forth. I'm going to go down in a few hours and do some more looking just to aggravate myself. :facepalm: See if I can negotiate an even better deal. If I don't decide by the end of the day, I will most likely just wait to see what's on sale for the Fourth of July.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Fourth of July sales sound tempting. But the Stanley Cup finals are coming up before then...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Chester

Always tricky to decide. Like everything, reliability seems to be pot luck. A few have had bad experiences with LG here it seems. I’ve had an LG OLED for 7 years and it’s still as good today as when I first got it.

I also had a Samsung washing machine that fatally failed after about 15 months. One repair guy I spoke to said he very rarely gets calls about LG’s, so I replaced with an LG washing machine and that’s going strong 5 years later.

I suppose my point is, pick one, enjoy it and just hope for the best!

steve59

Major Contributor
All the oled panels are LG but the Sony software is excellent. I bought mine for $2k a week before the superbowl and it fried a week later!!! Best buy offered me whatever I wanted and I got a direct replacement which has been flawless. I replaced a panny 65''ZT60 plasma and initially the brightness from the sony was painful :) I turned all the video settings down and within a week my eyes adjusted. Plasma was supposed to be king of contrast but that was yesterday. I think my old zt could still hold its own in 1080p live sports broadcasts, but the new oled is better in every other regard, is much lighter and while does get warm uses less power. When I was reading comparisons between the C1 and A80j differences always came down to software and there Sony wins. Costco should carry both sets.

steve59

Major Contributor
FYI, Amazon has the Sony for $1,352.73
yes, they're closing them out. It never even occurred to me to wait and see if the new models broke any new ground.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I've had my 65" LG C8 for a few years now, and have zero complaints. Nothing burned into the screen, black blacks, happy camper.

Nothing of value to offer on the Sony...just perfectly happy with the LG.

Top Bottom