• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED - Sony or LG,

Moonhead

maybe this can help…

OP
S

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
am sceptical about this because there are many reports in forums with oleds having problems after 3 - 4 years.
True, at this stage of the game, any tv, oled, lcd/led all have their problems and complaints. Most of it seems to boil down to the panel lottery so to speak. From everything i can find, both sets out0of the box settings are so good, many say you don't even need to calibrate as people did with the older models.
Both the LG C1 and Sony A80j seemed plenty bright to me. So my main concerns if I had to pin point them, would be, reliability/longevity and the grey/shadow details. Perfect blacks is no concern, but crushing the fine details seems to vary.
I'm probably being overly knit-picking here, I just don't want to deal with buyers remorse thinking "Oh man I should have gotten the other one".

@Moonhead As i stated earlier, already checked out Rtings. No clear winner in their book. Thanks anyway.

OP
S

Slayer

Appreciate all the input offered up. I will be making my decision very shortly, but I do wonder if I should wait for Independence Day sales. Hmmm
Then again, that's almost a full month away and I don't know if I can hold out any longer. Got the craving and got the money now. :)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Appreciate all the input offered up. I will be making my decision very shortly, but I do wonder if I should wait for Independence Day sales. Hmmm
Then again, that's almost a full month away and I don't know if I can hold out any longer. Got the craving and got the money now. :)
Let us know what you find! I’m still holding off, but it is nagging ;) There is also a World Cup upcoming, usually that means TV discounts well.. we’ll see..

AudioJester

Forum Donor
I have had an lg oled in the bedroom for about 5 yrs. Still the best blacks, like an audio setup with really low noise floor - things just "pop out".
No burn in, if I pause something and forget to turnoff it goes into standby mode by itself. Built in android tv is awesome.

Having said that I feel the new QLED screens have just about caught up. Much cheaper in the larger sizes.

These days modern tvs are like dacs/amps - really a solved problem, most more than up to the task.
Now a 8k hdr laser projector....

Yasuo

Speaking from experience LG is not very reliable in time, they use cheap components which makes it a lottery. If you do decide to buy LG get some extended warranty (for up to 5 years).

If you can afford go with Sony or wait a bit for the Samsung QD-OLED series. Other brand to be considered is Philips (again, personal taste as it has 2 huge advantages: Android TV/OS and Ambilight).

Always get the latest model, TVs evolve so fast these days. OLED is not great for HDR content - not as bright as LCD, but the infinite black levels makes it somehow overcome this, but forcing a high brightness on OLED burns it faster (even if now there's "no burn-in", I know).

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking from experience LG is not very reliable in time, they use cheap components which makes it a lottery
LG makes Sony's OLED panel. Both sets use the same panel

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Copied from Consumer's Reports if one believes their owners surveys.
1654895057057.jpeg

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a C1 in April and paid around $1250 for a 55". I have no complaints. At the time A80J's were $200 more expensive. I might have gone with the Sony if it allowed the speaker panel to be driven by an outside source the way the A90J is, but it didn't so I spent the extra $200-300 to buy a Kef CTC 3005 SE and an Aiyima A07 for my center instead. Almost certainly a better match for my LS 50 Metas anyway.

The LG will definitely tick a few more boxes with gamers and the Sony was rated as having a slightly better picture. If calibrated, both will be so close as to be indistinguishable IMHO. I also do think the super thin LG Panel and heavy pedestal base are better looking than the Sony.

BlackTalon

Forum Donor
I have a $$$ Sonly XBR paperweight somewhere in my basement. It was a great TV. But it died far too soon. It cost close to $2k USD when I bought it ~15 years ago, and died at about 5 years. I decided no matter how good the picture on their TVs I was not going to risk the cash by buying another Sony TV. And I was not alone; my brother-in-law bought one at the same time and his dies about one year after mine.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
@Sal1950 I'm with you on the burn issue. My choice was a Samsung 65" Neo QLED. In darkened rooms the OLED will look better, but the OLED advantage has become narrow. In a discussion like this there will always be people who say they have no burn on an OLED. Just go on the internet and there are thousands of complaints. If the TV is used as a computer monitor or for anything else with static images there will be burn in.

Unfortunately, I'm having to exchange my one-week-old Samsung due to a defect. I don't like lifting a 50 lb tv myself, but I don't have any help. That's another reason why I have a 65" and not a 75".

AudioJester

Forum Donor
Can break anything with user error.
No one doubts the burn issue with oled. If your going to have long duration static images dont use an OLED, or come up with an auto-standby solution. For the rest of us enjoy an amazing viewing experience.
I agree in non darkened rooms QLED is amazing.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm using an LG 3D tv close to 10 years now. When it kaputs, planning to get an LG OLED

Last edited:

Yasuo

LG makes Sony's OLED panel. Both sets use the same panel
Yes, only LG makes most if not all the OLED panels, but the way the TV is made by others can make the difference. And we see this every day here with different implementations having various results.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Beware brain dead apps on your oled (looking at you, YouTube app) that leave constant features on screen. My 2018 lg oled has a couple of blocks burned in :mad:

soundwave76

Forum Donor
I bought the C1 a few months ago and it’s been mostly great. Games in XBox Series X look awesome. The OS could be faster and I don’t like the shiny and hard remote surface at all. Sound and remote volume settings to Bluesound Node and Genelecs worked very nicely.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Copied from Consumer's Reports if one believes their owners surveys.
Consumer Reports, Hummm.
Don't you find it a bit strange they give el-cheapo king Insignia the highest mark for Predicted Reliability.
But Owner Satisfaction has them rated third from worst?
IMO There's something very fishy going on there. LOL

Can break anything with user error.
No one doubts the burn issue with oled. If your going to have long duration static images dont use an OLED, or come up with an auto-standby solution. For the rest of us enjoy an amazing viewing experience.
I agree in non darkened rooms QLED is amazing.
Is it user error to watch TV stations that constantly display their logo?
I find the possible problem, maybe probable over long term, just something I'd prefer to avoid when modern LCD's are so incredible. Maybe it's just once burned, twice shy for me. oops LOL
YMMV

Top Bottom