• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OLED | Any Issue?

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I remember very clearly all the praise by OLED TV owners back in in 2015-16
OLED have the best blacks, the best of many things, in many parameters, scientifically measured and observed in real life.

One thing many people prefer to be blind about their beautiful and thin LG and Sony OLED TVs, this:▪ https://www.zdnet.com/google-amp/article/is-oled-slowly-burning-down/

The emissive technology employed in OLED comes with that territory.
Soon or later you are going to experience it too. And you cannot undo what is done.

One my favorite video measurements website:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Somewhat incredibly, the premium LG screens on display in my area, have (I’ve seen several examples) a burn-in of the Dolby logo!

The TVs use a Dolby film to market their performance, but this film has a logo that over time is burnt into the screen.

In other words, the commercial film shows both the strengths and (inadvertently one of the) weaknesses of OLED.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
NorthSky

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
In that photo, no.

I do see a reflection of the room's interior lighting.

You might be right. Then it would be the smaller white stain strikes near the top.
Or they just used a poor example.

Here's a better one:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-embarrasses-with-oled-burn-in-at-tradeshow/

The other link, the scientific one, has some good examples too.
And if you go in video forums for OLED TVs and Burn-in you will find owners of OLED TVs posting screenshots of their TVs with permanent burn-in images after only 3, 10, 15 months.

In particular the OLED TVs from LG model 2015, 2016 and 2017.
Even few from 2018.

When we get to December 2020, I am very quasi certain that we'll see a lot more LG Model 2018 OLED TVs with permanent burn-in images, logos, score bars, etc., on their displays.

I mean OLED are the best TVs but they are not perfect.
Should we buy top premium QLED and Fald lit LCD LED TVs with many many backlit regions behind their panels instead?
Maybe, maybe not, it depends. What each personal use and eyes is adapting and accommodating their prefer tradeoffs, values, alibis and collaterals. ...Mostly visually speaking and personal preferred own zone of comfort according to each videophile's own knowledge on the matter of scientific picture rendition.
Is it looking natural as the film director of cinematography intended or is it looking as the film mixer colorist and dynamic contrast (HDR or Dolby Vision) applicator saw it as fitting in collaboration with both directors (film and cinematography) on his professional video monitor. Is it live or is it artistically manipulated with GGI effects and psychedelic colors to create an effect different than true reality? ...See what I mean (it's no different than all the various music recordings of the same).

Me I think the viewer is also the artist who is free to explore on his own and create the moving picture he prefers best because how can you get a reference picture without having your own professional monitor. The best is to have it calibrated by a video pro expert calibrator.
Or just get one of those calibration discs. That's what I do...WOW Disney disc.

51TziBcqZFL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Which version of John Coltrane's 'Giant Steps' is the most closer to the original analog master tape and which one is the highest resolution from a digital file providing the most satisfactory sensoriel pleasure to the ears and brain?

You have a TV Ray, a cathode ray tube, or a plasma? Do you have a LCD display or an OLED 4K display? ...All of the above, none, ...a Sanyo front projector? ...An AMOLED iPad? ...An ARMORED presidential limousine?

* Remastering music with say MQA is a bit similar to remastering the movie 'The Matrix' on 4K Blu-ray. ...What audio is to video.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My plasma TV exhibits a little burn-in, then later, after more variable excitation of the phosphors, it doesn't.

The public TV above is likely on max brightness and partially static image 24x7. Not how I would use it.

Too bad, anyway.

cjfrbw

The old CRT projectors had burn in, too, but didn't stop philes from preferring them for their positive traits. I think that my OLED does some kind of pixel burn periodically to even things out. There is some streaking, too, that comes and goes on dark gray scenes. It's like vacuum tubes: there are always issues if you are perfectionist, but tubes are fine for the things they do so well if you can forgive them.

I don't have problems with vinyl noise, to some extent, because I really like the results of the medium. I'm not worried about OLED, because I doubt I will obsess on burn in issues since I don't use static displays to any extent.

My old CRT projector had some 'general' burn in the tubes that did not affect the picture quality because it was even and not specific.

Wombat

Master Contributor
I have just, sadly, replaced my 10yo Panasonic plasma TV because of burn-in. The new second-tier Sony 'LED' TV is not a patch on the old one in terms of picture and sound. I will adapt to the new image 'quality' but I have to do something about the tinny/scratchy sound. I consider sound-bars to be a rip-off so this could be interesting.

Claimed image retention, short life-span and price were common concerns re OLEDs that I saw mentioned when researching for the replacement TV.

Top Bottom