• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Older and/or lower quality DACs vs newer and/or better quality

The Mule

Patreon Donor
Quick question, in that I think I know the answer, but just want to check.

Because of the freqs involved, lengths of the wavelengths, speed of the transients, etc,, I'm thinking an older/lesser performing DAC would have more trouble with high frequencies, than lower.

??

Define "older". Please provide an era or some devices as examples.

The only time where "older DAC" and "high frequency problems" go together that I can think of is in the very first generation of CD players, where their simple brickwall filters caused noise in the higher frequencies.

And I could be very wrong about that.

The Mule

Patreon Donor
Define "older". Please provide an era or some devices as examples.

The only time where "older DAC" and "high frequency problems" go together that I can think of is in the very first generation of CD players, where their simple brickwall filters caused noise in the higher frequencies.

And I could be very wrong about that.
Yes! This is the detail I'm looking for, and yes, I'm talking about (in general) '80's DACs, well, I guess also ADCs too. (The "1st gen" CDs from back then, creation and playback.)

...where their simple brickwall filters caused noise in the higher frequencies.

And I could be very wrong about that...
The so-called 'brickwall filters' were far from simple and had no issues with noise in high frequencies. It was more about phase delay plus interchannel sample delay in the early single D/A converter machines. Personally, I could never hear it, but I sure could measure it. :)