• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old system, need budget upgrade advice.

Petejw

Hi from Australia,

Old noob looking to improve my system and funds are limited.

My current setup is Royd Minstrels and a NAD C326BEE. Used to have a cd player that died 20 years ago so haven't used the system much at all since then.

I've recently been using it again with a chromecast audio hooked up and it sounds ok.

Been looking at maybe getting a Bluesound Node 2i to hook up to it. Plan is to use system purely for streaming from Spotify and Tidal. I also have a mate who can give me a Schitt Modi 3 for free in a couple of months time.

I can stretch my wallet enough to buy the node 2i and then hook up the Schitt to it down the track.

I should also add that I have a NAD 7020 in the cupboard that needs a service but I seem to recall it sounded nicer than the c326BEE. So that's also an option.

The question I have is, is it worth it given my current old gear or should I just stick to my chromecast audio?

Thanks for any advice given. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited:

Pennyless Audiophile

Bluesound+Schiit may be a good solution, if you like the NAD sound.
However, if you already have a PC, consider using it as a source.
Other, cheaper, alternatives to the Bluesound could be a Rasberry Pi with Volumio or a mini-pc with Daphile

SloPoke

Forum Donor
Hi from Australia,

Old noob looking to improve my system and funds are limited.

My current setup isand a NAD C326BEE. Used to have a cd player that died 20 years ago so haven't used the system much at all since then.

I've recently been using it again with a chromecast audio hooked up and it sounds ok.

Been looking at maybe getting a Bluesound Node 2i to hook up to it. Plan is to use system purely for streaming from Spotify and Tidal. I also have a mate who can give me a Schitt Modi 3 for free in a couple of months time.

I can stretch my wallet enough to buy the node 2i and then hook up the Schitt to it down the track.

I should also add that I have a NAD 7020 in the cupboard that needs a service but I seem to recall it sounded nicer than the c326BEE. So that's also an option.

The question I have is, is it worth it given my current old gear or should I just stick to my chromecast audio?

Thanks for any advice given. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete
Chromecast Audio plugged into the Schiit Modi 3 with a digital cable would sound as good through your gear as the Node 2i plugged into the Schiit. I'd vote to stick with your Chromecast Audio, add the gifted Schiit when available and do something else with the upgrade funds.
(you'll need a Mini Toslink to Toslink Digital Optical cable to connect CA and Schiit)

OP
P

Petejw

Chromecast Audio plugged into the Schiit Modi 3 with a digital cable would sound as good through your gear as the Node 2i plugged into the Schiit. I'd vote to stick with your Chromecast Audio, add the gifted Schiit when available and do something else with the upgrade funds.
(you'll need a Mini Toslink to Toslink Digital Optical cable to connect CA and Schiit)
Thanks SloPoke,

I was wondering about that. The Bluesound is $900AUD here and given I'm going to get a free Schiit and there may not be any apparent difference on my gear......sounds like the Bluesound is a waste of money for me.

If the Schiit doesn't end up coming my way would the Bluesound be a worthwhile investment over the CCA?

SloPoke

Forum Donor
If you don't get the Schiit, I still don't think the Bluesound is necessary. For example, if instead of a Node 2i, you added a Topping E30 to the Chromecast, you'd have as high/higher performance for significantly less cash.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
If the Schiit doesn't end up coming my way would the Bluesound be a worthwhile investment over the CCA?

Although it'll take some time to learn the measurement methodology used on ASR, you can can get detailed info on both devices via Amir's reviews:
Both are relatively poor performers for audio. Unless the features of the Bluesound Node 2i are worth it to you I agree with @SloPoke : you can bump up your audio performance for significantly less money, most likely including the features you want. (You could even think about a high-quality DAC/amp combo for less money than the Bluesound if you wanted to use headphones.) Or just stick with the Chromecast.

OP
P

Petejw

Thanks for the input everyone.

I do like the CCA it's simple and it works. We are also an google/Android household so it's easy for my kids to use.

Given my antiquated system it sounds like a Schiit modi 3 or Topping e30 are the way to go for me. Even if the modi 3 for free falls through a Topping e30 is $650 cheaper than the Bluesound node.

Top Bottom