• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old System Falling Apart

Rick69

Hi, first post and I have very little, to no audio experience. My 20+ year old system is failing. My NAD 515 CD player failed and I no longer have it. My Classe' CP-35 pre-amp is cutting out, so I am no longer using it. I contacted Classe' and they said I could ship it to them in NY (I am in ID) and for $140, they would diagnose the problem and give me an estimate of how much it would cost to fix. I'm hesitant to do that with a 23 year old pre-amp. So currently, I am running a cable direct from my six year old macbook air headphone jack, to my Classe' CA-101 amp and Hales Revelation 3 speakers. I am listening to iTunes and YouTube. Question: to start to rebuild/add to what I currently have (not much), should I purchase a DAC, like a Topping D90 or SMSL M400 and/or should I repair or replace the pre-amp? Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
for $140, they would diagnose the problem and give me an estimate of how much it would cost to fix.
That's a very expensive estimate fee.

Question: to start to rebuild/add to what I currently have (not much), should I purchase a DAC, like a Topping D90 or SMSL M400 and/or should I repair or replace the pre-amp?
What is the complaint regarding the preamp?

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would check with Peter at https://quirkaudio.com/ Just because your product is not mentioned, that does not mean that they won't do it (by the same token, it does not mean that they wil)l. But there are some ASR people that have had stuff done by them (including myself [my triplet {3} NAD 2200's, one of which is the one that was tested by Amir, 2 APT/HOMAN preamps, a not listed as something they do ADVENT 300]. I have had nothing but exemplary experiences with them. They will also let you know if something is not worth sinking the money into it.

OP
R

Rick69

I would check with Peter at https://quirkaudio.com/ Just because your product is not mentioned, that does not mean that they won't do it (by the same token, it does not mean that they wil)l. But there are some ASR people that have had stuff done by them (including myself [my triplet {3} NAD 2200's, one of which is the one that was tested by Amir, 2 APT/HOMAN preamps, a not listed as something they do ADVENT 300]. I have had nothing but exemplary experiences with them. They will also let you know if something is not worth sinking the money into it.
I will contact him, Thank you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet that the preamp controls and switches need a clean and lubricate and a small small chance there might be some bad solder in it but unlikely. Unscrew the lid, access the switches and controls and squirt in some control cleaner/lub and then use those controls and switches a few dozen times while the unit is unplugged to work in the cleaner/lub.

and... there might be a relay in it too.

DO NOT use Nutrol control cleaner because it dries up after a few months to a year or two and then needs reapplication otherwise it works good.

OP
R

Rick69

I bet that the preamp controls and switches need a clean and lubricate and a small small chance there might be some bad solder in it but unlikely. Unscrew the lid, access the switches and controls and squirt in some control cleaner/lub and then use those controls and switches a few dozen times while the unit is unplugged to work in the cleaner/lub.

and... there might be a relay in it too.

DO NOT use Nutrol control cleaner because it dries up after a few months to a year or two and then needs reapplication otherwise it works good.
I'll get some control cleaner/lube and give it a try, thank you. My brother is a retired EE, I'll see if he would like to help.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Caig makes good products.

Why not rip your CDs onto a computer and avid worrying about CD players?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's a very expensive estimate fee.

Let's be honest here- a comprehensive estimate really means they essentially have trouble shooted the entire product and are just waiting for the go ahead to put the components in, and melt the solder. :)

In a fully functional state, just serviced by Classe', the preamplifier has a decent value.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's be honest here- a comprehensive estimate really means they essentially have trouble shooted the entire product and are just waiting for the go ahead to put the components in, and melt the solder. :)

In a fully functional state, just serviced by Classe', the preamplifier has a decent value.

True but in a sensibly updated state (if your intent is to keep it) it may be more enjoyable than it ever was.

OP
R

Rick69

Caig makes good products.

Why not rip your CDs onto a computer and avid worrying about CD players?
I have ripped some of them and need to finish the rest. I won't replace the CD player.

OP
R

Rick69

True but in a sensibly updated state (if your intent is to keep it) it may be more enjoyable than it ever was.
I'll try some cleaning/lube and if that doesn't fix it, I'll send it to Classe' for diagnosis/estimate. I contacted Peter @ quirkaudio.com per EJ3's recommendation and he thinks it's worth repairing. Thanks everyone for input.

Top Bottom