• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

old Sennheiser HD-600 and distorted bass

Gruust

My Sennheiser HD-600 headphones are probably like 10+ years old. I had them in storage for quite a time. Now they distort stronger bass parts when I connect them to my digital piano. That effect also occurs when switching left and right channels, ie. on both sides, so it's not dirt/hair or something. I also replaced the earpads, and everything looks clean.

Are these headphones known to develop such issues when aging?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It actually sounds like you're not giving them enough power. I don't know what model piano you have, but it's hard to imagine they put a lot of effort into the headphone jack. Try any headphone amplifier and see if it improves. For the HD600, you wouldn't need to spend more than $100, probably even less.

Personally I stick to portable solutions because they add so much flexibility. For example the Topping NX series or some of the FiiO stuff (check the reviews, FiiO can be very hit or miss) but you'll get a little more value for your $ if you're ok with something that needs a mains connection (topping L30, etc)

Chagall

Forum Donor
No such issues on my old HD600.
You'll want to check if distortion occurs when connected to another source.
Also, check if the drivers are fitted properly in the driver slots. I've had this happen, one of the drivers needed to be pushed into the latches holding driver in place.

3125b

Major Contributor
Oh I hate that video, why does he have to destroy the poor, poor driver?

My HD 600 is over 20 years old and works absolutely fine. Granted, the drivers are different from the ones in a 10 year old HD 600, but I doubt that is your issue.
With Beyerdynamic headphones one known thing to couse distortions are hairs getting stuck in the protective disks and touching the membrane of the driver, I haven't really heard of that with the HD 600, but you could check if something like that has happened. You can always just take the HD 600 apart and put it back together, it's all just clipped and nothing's glued, but be careful with the drivers unlike the guy in the video.

And maybe before all that you should of course check:
Does the piano work with different headphones? Does the HD 600 have the same issue driven from another source?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My Sennheiser HD-600 headphones are probably like 10+ years old. I had them in storage for quite a time. Now they distort stronger bass parts when I connect them to my digital piano. That effect also occurs when switching left and right channels, ie. on both sides, so it's not dirt/hair or something. I also replaced the earpads, and everything looks clean.

Are these headphones known to develop such issues when aging?

Nothing wrong with the headphones.
As has been mentioned the Piano simply cannot supply enough voltage to properly drive the HD600.
Try to use some low impedance headphones or use a (headphone) amplifier.

Top Bottom