• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old pearls, songs made 1900-1950

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
A Swedish classic:

Life in the Finnish forests (an area in Sweden, despite the name) is a waltz from 1913 attributed to Calle Jularbo. In his memoirs [1], Jularbo writes about how he behaved during the summer of 1913 in Järpliden in Värmland (Sweden):
"The hardy peasants, the beautiful and lovely Värmland women, the brave servants, the cover maids - everything united into 'Life in the Finnish forests'." [2]

As well as then, a cover, became a classic in the US (I think it is well known in the US). :)

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
This is not just a song and it's most popular interpretation adds especially hard trough to the past times.
Second one is probably one of the greatest love poems ever written and I won't even bother regarding interpretations (as they will always fall short to the story).
Those are not just songs or poems they are cultural goods.

Katji

Major Contributor
This is not just a song and it's most popular interpretation adds especially hard trough to the past times.
Truth?

Song seems to reflect reality. ...Singing style, the combination.

It led to me reading 10 minutes of wiki Bosniak. Need 10 hours. If lifetime was unlimited, I would like to just read history of the region for 3 years - like the time for a B. degree. Maybe all European history is so but that region seems complex like o_O

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Truth?

Song seems to reflect reality. ...Singing style, the combination.

It led to me reading 10 minutes of wiki Bosniak. Need 10 hours. If lifetime was unlimited, I would like to just read history of the region for 3 years - like the time for a B. degree. Maybe all European history is so but that region seems complex like o_O
You would need more to read historiography of the time along with author's biography to even remotely can put it in right angle. Second one is even taughter in that context (Santa Maria della Salute).

Katji

Major Contributor
Second one is probably one of the greatest love poems ever written and I won't even bother regarding interpretations (as they will always fall short to the story).

google.translate also reflects reality...I suppose. It's like rolling the dice - see if it identifies text as Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian.

Let's find the music...

"...the Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute is one of the best known in Venice, whose dome is visible from all over the city. It was constructed to celebrate the end of the plague in 1631. Santa María della Salute is one of the most important religious buildings in Venice. ..."

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
google.translate also reflects reality...I suppose. It's like rolling the dice - see if it identifies text as Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian.

Let's find the music...

"...the Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute is one of the best known in Venice, whose dome is visible from all over the city. It was constructed to celebrate the end of the plague in 1631. Santa María della Salute is one of the most important religious buildings in Venice. ..."

You won't find it translated on wiki, just on original language. Translation I linked ain't half bad to be honest.

Katji

Major Contributor
I thought google would give me youtube but no.

Second one is even taughter in that context (Santa Maria della Salute).
I am a bit puzzled...it seems google will not explain why ...I dunno... was it first translated hundreds of years ago? :)

I was going to leave the second one [of the post] because my head was already o_O from wiki about Middle Ages and DNA.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I thought google would give me youtube but no.

I am a bit puzzled...it seems google will not explain why ...I dunno... was it first translated hundreds of years ago? :)

I was going to leave the second one [of the post] because my head was already o_O from wiki about Middle Ages and DNA.
Hardest thing is to translate poetry and second one is beyond (literal) interpretation even on original language.
YouTube will give you a complete series (movie, series, lyrics...) and it's all bad and superficially in my humble opinion.
Both are impossible, forbidden love songs and will remain even controversial to a very end but don't bang your head over it (it takes time and lecturing). ;)

Katji

Major Contributor
You won't find it translated on wiki, just on original language. Translation I linked ain't half bad to be honest.
Yes I see it was done by human...and I did see both side-by-side............but seeing the google literal translation is interesting / it can be helpful. People translate to meaning, choosing english words they think gives best meaning, but the original words translated ...sometimes shows a different feeling.

Very interesting person.
https://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/Лаза_Костић

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Yes I see it was done by human...and I did see both side-by-side............but seeing the google literal translation is interesting / it can be helpful. People translate to meaning, choosing english words they think gives best meaning, but the original words translated ...sometimes shows a different feeling.

Very interesting person.
https://sr.wikipedia.org/sr-el/Лаза_Костић
It happens that we share the first name while my avatar one is actually turned around syllables. Had a my own hard time regarding the second one but that's a long story.

Katji

Major Contributor
Hardest thing is to translate poetry and second one is beyond (literal) interpretation even on original language.
I learned about that from a friend who did much translation of Bengali poetry/devotional songs. Much is lost, the layered and subtle nuances.

I'll leave the movie.

forbidden love songs
:-s I disagree with such forbidding. [And I grew up with some of it.] Better to forbid the forbidding. Let people mix if they want, they do it naturally anyway.

Katji

Major Contributor
Lazar ? Famous prince Lazar, and a famous poem.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I learned about that from a friend who did much translation of Bengali poetry/devotional songs. Much is lost, the layered and subtle nuances.

I'll leave the movie.

:-s I disagree with such forbidding. [And I grew up with some of it.] Better to forbid the forbidding. Let people mix if they want, they do it naturally anyway.
It's way more complicated than cultural or religious when I used term forbidden in both why its impossible love. Both are part of cultural heretige and probably wider locally studied (on language study programs in region [former Yu]).
Lazar as Lazarus. ;)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Those are not just songs or poems they are cultural goods.
Beautiful, incredible song!:)
First one that comes to mind
The classics of the classics. About modern society, about the big city and its sounds, rhythm. About combining different music styles. Hear the beginning of the piece of music and I see New York directly in front of me.:)

Rhapsody in Blue is a 1924 musical composition written by George Gershwin for solo piano and jazz band, which combines elements of classical music with jazz-influenced effects. Commissioned by bandleader Paul Whiteman, the work premiered in a concert titled "An Experiment in Modern Music" on February 12, 1924, in Aeolian Hall, New York City.[2][3] Whiteman's band performed the rhapsody with Gershwin playing the piano.[4] Whiteman's arranger Ferde Grofé orchestrated the rhapsody several times including the 1924 original scoring, the 1926 pit orchestra scoring, and the 1942 symphonic scoring.

The rhapsody is one of Gershwin's most recognizable creations and a key composition that defined the Jazz Age.[5][6][7] Gershwin's piece inaugurated a new era in America's musical history,[8] established Gershwin's reputation as an eminent composer, and eventually became one of the most popular of all concert works.[9] The American Heritage magazine posits that the famous opening clarinet glissando has become as instantly recognizable to concert audiences as Beethoven's Fifth.
[10]

shot_2022-01-03_08-25-44.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom