• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old iPhone/iPad with iPeng playback and external DAC, amazing versatile Squeezebox streamer solution.

ObjectAudio

I am using squeezebox as my method for music streaming already a long time.

Till now I used the Logitech Duet and PC squeezelite player as my player clients. The limitation for the duet that they are only supporting 44.1kHz & 48kHz.

I was looking for higher bitrate support so the best solution I find is to use old iPhone/iPad and installing iPeng app and iPeng playback addon.

The setup is as follows:

- iPhone/iPad with iPeng app and iPeng playback installed.

- iPhone connected to the external DAC through Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Apple

- Using external DAC in my case I will use it with CM6631 USB to coax adapter and it is connected to my dbx VENU360.

This setup allows me to use iPeng or other Squeezebox control app running on my main iPad or iPhone to do the following:

- Play my own hi-res music library.

- Play hi-res music from Qobuz.

- Play music from Spotify , and maybe the lossless when they will release the Spotify HiFi.

This setup with the Airplay -ShairTunes2 plugin installed on the server can do the following:

- Play directly from iPhone or iPad any music application to the setup above as it will be recognized as Airplay device with bitrate of 44.1kHz.

- You can play your Amazon HD or Apple Music lossless with CD quality.

Also with UPnP/DLNA bridge and the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface plugins , the setup above will be recognize also as UPnP/DLNA Player.
Also you will be able to play your music from your Squeezebox serve on any other UPnP/DLNA player on your network.

I am not going here with the details of the Installation, as quick search will allow you to find most of the information .

This site will be a good starting point : How-tos | Max2Play

kami

I have a similar setup (sans the AVR) in order to listen deezer HiFi on my iPad with the parametric EQ built-in neutron player.

It saves me the 100 dollars of the qudelix 5k.

how do you like the iPeng playback feature?

KM

OP
O

ObjectAudio

It is great as it convert the iPhone to Squeezebox/Airplay /DLNA client.you can plug it with all your other HIFi devices and use your other iPad/ iPhone/ computer to control the music.

OP
O

ObjectAudio

Here is the current setup with Topping D10s driving VEN360 through the Coax out and nice small iPhone stand attached with double sided glue.
Works perfectly.

1622328022711.png

BitPerfect_

Thank you for sharing with us these informations.
I was trying to find a workaround to control the AppleMusic app on both devices. Not so sure why but the home sharing is not available (maybe this function can be accessed only in AppleMusic Family plan).

Having said that, I am interested in playing HiRes (24/192) files from AppleMusic using an iPad as remote to control an iPhone.
Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Using the iPeng 9.7 (the latest version) app + iPeng Playback, we are able to use the iPad to remotely control an iPhone > HiRes 24/192 > DAC (without a PC or squeezbox, etc).

Do we need to install (and pay) the iPeng app and Playback add-on twice for both devices even if we are signed in with the same apple ID on both devices?

Cam99

Thank you for sharing with us these informations.
I was trying to find a workaround to control the AppleMusic app on both devices. Not so sure why but the home sharing is not available (maybe this function can be accessed only in AppleMusic Family plan).

Having said that, I am interested in playing HiRes (24/192) files from AppleMusic using an iPad as remote to control an iPhone.
Please correct me if I'm wrong,

Using the iPeng 9.7 (the latest version) app + iPeng Playback, we are able to use the iPad to remotely control an iPhone > HiRes 24/192 > DAC (without a PC or squeezbox, etc).

Do we need to install (and pay) the iPeng app and Playback add-on twice for both devices even if we are signed in with the same apple ID on both devices?

So iPeng will allow remote control of Apple devices ? Do you need a squeezebox ?

toxotis70

I can’t find a way to control my iPad via iPhone with Apple Music…. Any ideas?

Top Bottom