• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

old headphones broke, looking for a new ones around 300

DrFlimFlam

Hi

my old 599 broke and I am looking to purchase a new headset but I'm a bit confused on what to buy. Around 300€, I ended with things like LCD-1, sundara or HD600. They are going to be used with a topping dx3 as all-rounders, movies, music and some games.

Any idea between those 3, or if I should add another competitor to the comparison?

thanks

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi

my old 599 broke and I am looking to purchase a new headset but I'm a bit confused on what to buy. Around 300€, I ended with things like LCD-1, sundara or HD600. They are going to be used with a topping dx3 as all-rounders, movies, music and some games.

Any idea between those 3, or if I should add another competitor to the comparison?

thanks
You want to hear reality, in my opinion, the HD 600 is in its class of its own regardless of price. I'm talking about disregarding price, not just "good for the money", this is in pure absolute terms. They are impressive, better (except bass quantity) than anything I've ever heard, no matter the price. The other two are better in some aspects such as bass quantity, but their FR is way more messed up than the HD 600.

OP
DrFlimFlam

DrFlimFlam

You want to hear reality, in my opinion, the HD 600 is in its class of its own regardless of price. I'm talking about disregarding price, not just "good for the money", this is in pure absolute terms. They are impressive, better (except bass quantity) than anything I've ever heard, no matter the price. The other two are better in some aspects such as bass quantity, but their FR is way more messed up than the HD 600.
yeah, I was leaning 600 mostly because if something is still great after 20 years, must be REALLY great, but I want to hear other people opinions, mostly maybe about sundara as it seems it's going to be another classic headphone that marks another reference point in the future and for some reviewers are the 600 replacement.

but still, you can't trust blidnly people who didn't spend their hard earned money on them

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
my old 599 broke
If you don't mind me asking how they broke and where I would appreciate knowing that. I have a pair of 598 and I take very good care of them but one day they could take a fall. I'm curious what the weak point is. :D

Bob-23

HD600s are no doubt very good headphones - but it depends on your preferences: if 'soundstage' is of importance to you, the Hd600s are not the first choice - it's relatively narrow.
Sundaras' soundstaging seems to be clearly 'better':

"The Sennheiser HD 600 and the HiFiMan Sundara are both impressive audiophile headphones, though they have slightly different sound profiles. The HiFiMan produce more thump and rumble while slightly reducing the intensity of vocals and instruments. The Sennheiser sound a bit more bass-light in comparison, and they put more emphasis on vocals and instruments. The HiFiMan have a more natural soundstage and are much more comfortable, but there have been reports of quality control issues from the brand."
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/t...iman-sundara/325/589?usage=9287&threshold=0.1
Read the whole comparison.

The HD560s also seem to be better in that regard. People are divided with regard to their sound quality (see below).

Fidelio X2Hr would be a 'cheapo' alternative, with very good build quality; open spacious soundstage and, they are, generally, a good sounding alrounder (when eq'd to Oratory). Vocals maybe hissing on some recordings. (Note: genuin earpads no more available).

"The Philips X2HR have a very good passive soundstage. Thanks to their open-back design, their soundstage is very spacious and open and music is perceived as being in front of you as opposed to inside your head."
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/philips/fidelio-x2hr

With regard to the 560s , Crinacle is more skeptical, and is favouring the HD600s - but, of course, we're in the realm of subjective impressions:

"The closest thing in tuning to the HD560S within the Sennheiser lineup, in my opinion, would be the HD600. It’s far less warm than the HD650 and, while the upper-mid/treble emphasis does evoke a sense of “HD800ish-ness” due to its intensity and relative forwardness, I would say that the overall tonality is actually better done on the HD560S.
But still, going from the 560S to the 600 is like milk after a spicy curry. The HD600 still remains as one of my tonal benchmarks for headphones, and highlights the little quirks that would make me avoid the HD560S as a true daily driver."

Also with regard to imaging:
"Imaging: a little weird. Vocals are up front and centre all the time and instruments tend to blend together despite the wide stage they are placed in."
https://crinacle.com/2020/11/06/sennheiser-hd560s-review-the-evolved-500/

pez

The HD600s were my old headphones. I don't trust my ear to make subjective judgments without a proper A/B setup (though they sounded fine to me) but one thing I can add here is that they feel very plasticky and cheap. That's why I ultimately stopped using them. Other cans I got (Oppo PM-3, Focal Clear) feel much nicer and sturdier.

Maybe some of these issues were resolved later, after I bought mine in 2013, but the all-plastic construction was all creaky and chintzy, the ear pads quickly fouled up with sweat and dust, and the headband was always getting my hair painfully stuck. After about 4 years of daily desk use they had scratched paint all over and the pads were crusty. I tried looking for them to get a pic for you but I can't find them. I think I might have thrown them in the garbage during a move. Yeah, I wasn't very happy with the 600s once I finally branched out from upgrading through successive Senns.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
I own the HD-650 and the HD-600 are similia enough for me to draw the comparison.

Overall Sundara>HD600 imo, see my sig pic :)

BUT... if you are big on vocals, HD-600 are pleasantly warm and textured and can give you goosies with old timey singers like Frank or Patsy.

Last edited:

Bob-23

The HD600s were my old headphones. I don't trust my ear to make subjective judgments without a proper A/B setup (though they sounded fine to me) but one thing I can add here is that they feel very plasticky and cheap. That's why I ultimately stopped using them. Other cans I got (Oppo PM-3, Focal Clear) feel much nicer and sturdier.

Maybe some of these issues were resolved later, after I bought mine in 2013, but the all-plastic construction was all creaky and chintzy, the ear pads quickly fouled up with sweat and dust, and the headband was always getting my hair painfully stuck. After about 4 years of daily desk use they had scratched paint all over and the pads were crusty. I tried looking for them to get a pic for you but I can't find them. I think I might have thrown them in the garbage during a move. Yeah, I wasn't very happy with the 600s once I finally branched out from upgrading through successive Senns.
Well, let's not be unfair - the Focal cost 4-5 times more than the Senns, and, although 'plasticky', the HD600s don't fall apart that easily; and the 'plastic' makes them relatively light weight.

I can confirm, that the paint tended to become a bit scratchy, I hope, in the new 2019 model this issue is resolved? (Those how 'suffer' from that issue, might employ a paint stick in order to make the phones sound alright again.)

With regard to the earpads - well, 4 years of daily use, sounds a bit like natural wear and tear? A tip: You can take off the pads and wash them, I I'd done that several times, before I bought knew ones.

And that's a great plus: The Hd600s are fully modular: You can, still today, replace every single component (headband, pads, drivers). That's how it should be.

Rayman30

Forum Donor
Well, let's not be unfair - the Focal cost 4-5 times more than the Senns, and, although 'plasticky', the HD600s don't fall apart that easily; and the 'plastic' makes them relatively light weight.

I can confirm, that the paint tended to become a bit scratchy, I hope, in the new 2019 model this issue is resolved? (Those how 'suffer' from that issue, might employ a paint stick in order to make the phones sound alright again.)

With regard to the earpads - well, 4 years of daily use, sounds a bit like natural wear and tear? A tip: You can take off the pads and wash them, I I'd done that several times, before I bought knew ones.

And that's a great plus: The Hd600s are fully modular: You can, still today, replace every single component (headband, pads, drivers). That's how it should be.

Agreed 100% my HD-650 are from 2005... and besides some fading are in pristine condition, they're tough as nails, a few years back I replaced the pads and top pad (mostly due to cleanliness) they are tanks.

pez

The Oppos are a similar price to the Senns though, and they have the same sort of heavy metal-case construction and the leather earpads don't need to be cleaned. I poked around on Amazon and it seems like there are a bunch of cheap Chinese headphones using a similar style. It's just strange to me that the HD-600s cost so much but don't "feel" like premium headphones at all.

(Again though I'm not commenting on the sound and that might be more important to people. I actually kept using the HD-600s after getting my PM-3s because I liked the sound better.)

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
The Oppos are a similar price to the Senns though, and they have the same sort of heavy metal-case construction and the leather earpads don't need to be cleaned. I poked around on Amazon and it seems like there are a bunch of cheap Chinese headphones using a similar style. It's just strange to me that the HD-600s cost so much but don't "feel" like premium headphones at all.

(Again though I'm not commenting on the sound and that might be more important to people. I actually kept using the HD-600s after getting my PM-3s because I liked the sound better.)
But they sound like it and feel sturdy, unlike the creaky $1,500 of Focal Clear i had.

OP
DrFlimFlam

DrFlimFlam

thanks everyone, after reading all suggestions and more reviews, I finally decided to purchase the hifiman sundara.

The HD600 are a classic, and was tempting but everywhere I look, sundara was a bit higher in the list.

560 seemed ok, but a slight downgrade, definitely would have bought if my budget was a bit smaller.

so everything went to the way of sundara, I just hope I don't get with build quality issues at it seems its the only problem they could have

Last edited:

Rayman30

Forum Donor
thanks everyone, after reading all suggestions and more reviews, I finally decided to purchase the hifiman sundara.

The HD600 are a classic, and was tempting but everywhere I look, sundara was a bit higher in the list.

560 seemed ok, but a slight downgrade, definitely would have bought if my budget was a bit smaller.

so everything went to the way of sundara, I just hope I don't get with build quality issues at it seems its the only problem they could have

In case you're curious about it, or find them a little to bright.

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 510 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 1250 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 3.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 10400 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6

Oratory EQ settings for Sundara, just paste these in the default config.txt of Equalizer APO.

threni

Major Contributor

I needed a shower after reading that! :)

OP
DrFlimFlam

DrFlimFlam

In case you're curious about it, or find them a little to bright.

Preamp: -7 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter: ON PK Fc 510 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 2
Filter: ON PK Fc 1250 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.9
Filter: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 3.5
Filter: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.4
Filter: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 10400 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6

Oratory EQ settings for Sundara, just paste these in the default config.txt of Equalizer APO.
Thanks, I'll try :)

Top Bottom