• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Old Formula 1 video. Nearly an hour long so only watch if you are interested in fairly historic F1. May be spoiled for some by me being in it

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Frank, maybe Bernie E. can arrange a good ghost writer. These insider insights disappear with the individual unless published, and the sport loses parts of its history. Possibly a good retirement project. How many Engineers get to put their perspective forward. No pressure of course. o_O
Well I have been getting pressure to do it for at least 20 years and loads of offers of ghost writers.
I can't be arsed, or not so far.

Wombat

Master Contributor
"A Frank Look At F1" sounds good to me. :rolleyes:

You probably worked in the biz. before eternal non-disclosure clauses in contracts became the norm.

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well I have been getting pressure to do it for at least 20 years and loads of offers of ghost writers.
I can't be arsed, or not so far.

I appreciate anything you are interested in sharing Frank. Thank you...irreplaceable first person history.

Dimitri

.irreplaceable first person history
One of the things that "modern" technolgy has brought us is a greater separation of those that know the stories and those that would like to know the stories. We know the names of Pharaohs and their nieces and nephews but probably can't name our own parent's second cousins.

I don't know for how long this site or any site will last.
But I know after I'm gone my grandkids are not very likely to go and open "granpa's bookmarks" folder. By that time maybe the word bookmark might have lost its meaning.

Books live forever, unless burned, they are easier to print than chiseling stone and they can't be edited to the whims of whatever the whim of the day is.

So yeah...that's what I think .

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Unfortunately F1 is becoming a show and not a sport anymore. Nonsense is spreading, this year we have Mercedes bringing DAS that has been ruled illegal but only for next year when the rules are the same (wtf?), we have a car which is the same exact copy of the Mercedes one that should be not permitted by the rules but it's there, there are more and more common parts, restrictions to aero work, can't test the cars on track but you have to spend twice the cost for simulators. It is just freaking nonsense.
I am sad for the future of the sport, unfortunately Ecclestone sold and Liberty Media has been dreadful since then.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Liberty Media has been dreadful since then.
I tend to agree. I hope they don't do to F1 what commercial people did to CART, which was a great series until they started restricting making changes with the same sort of explanations as Liberty are using at the moment.
It died and the one make Indycar series isn't a patch on it IMO.
Bernie knew how to market the show, but sold to CVC who raped it, leaving a mess of debt and stupid contracts so maybe Liberty are painted into a corner.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Problem is that the American way to market sports (sorry American friends) maybe works for NFL, MLB and basket, maybe works in US but is not going to work for F1 and in Europe. See the choice to go racing in tilkodromes around the world in weird boring locations when we have the best classical tracks in Europe. I mean you take out Imola which is one of the most exciting track out there to make room for some boring track designed by Tilke where overtaking is impossible. This sport is becoming a mess.

jeffbook

Seb's car is slow and it seems that Charles is just a bit quicker.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to agree. I hope they don't do to F1 what commercial people did to CART, which was a great series until they started restricting making changes with the same sort of explanations as Liberty are using at the moment.
It died and the one make Indycar series isn't a patch on it IMO.
Bernie knew how to market the show, but sold to CVC who raped it, leaving a mess of debt and stupid contracts so maybe Liberty are painted into a corner.
Any thoughts about the plan for Stefano Domenicali to replace Chase Carey as CEO of F1 in January?

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any thoughts about the plan for Stefano Domenicali to replace Chase Carey as CEO of F1 in January?
Stefano is a top man and very knowledgable.
I don't know Chase Carey so have no idea how well he understands F1 or what he has put in place.
I would think Stefano is as good a choice as could possibly have been made.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

here is an older one from the same director, about 40 years ago
Nothing really changes with F1 it seems, almost identical stories then and now. Suspect rule changes, drivers want more downforce, engineers get inventive with with rules, small teams complaining about the budgets of the big teams.

Top Bottom