• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto Research dac8 Stereo custom output voltage for FirstWatt F5

Jaje

Hi there,

what custom output voltage should I request from Okto Research for connection from OktoResearch dac8 Stereo to FirstWatt F5 and how XLR pins should be connected to RCA ones? I know it is not ideal to connect XLR to RCA but that's what I need.

Thank you for an answers

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1642590322951.png

So @8Ohm (Nelson did not provide rated power @ 4Ohm) you will need ~2.47 Vrms to drive it to the advertised 25W power @ 8 Ohm

the measurements he shared shows that the amp begins to clip with 0.3% THD+N @ 50W @ 2 Ohm. To drive it to that output you need ~1.74 Vrms.

you're free to make an informed decision at this point.

Last edited:

helsington

I think F5 has a gain of 15dB. That makes the voltage to be ~2.5V based on the equation.
This is unbalanced signal. Okto Research custom output voltage can be in range from 1 to 12V RMS. But they have balanced output!
@abdo123 Does that mean that Antti needs a 5V custom voltage (because of the balanced voltage being double)? Or should he go with 2.5V? :D

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think F5 has a gain of 15dB. That makes the voltage to be ~2.5V based on the equation.
I'm a little sick and i divided over 10 instead of 20 for some reason, i edited the post.

It is not disclosed at which wattage the amp actually clips, so i'm not going to recommend any specific values for them just rough guidelines.
@abdo123 Does that mean that Antti needs a 5V custom voltage (because of the balanced voltage being double)? Or should he go with 2.5V? :D

.yes if he's going to use balanced output and only use one of the two pins then he needs to double whichever value he picks by 2.

maybe more experienced members like @restorer-john and @solderdude can comment on that though as i'm not exactly sure.

OP
J

Jaje

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The F5 starts to clip at 20V RMS
amplification = 5.82x so you need 3.43V to clip it.
When driving it from the + side of a balanced connection the output voltage (balanced) should be 6.86V.

Now there is the practical matter when listening to music.
Not all recordings reach 0dBFS so a little extra gain can be very useful.
As the power amp has no volume control it has to be done digitally.

So I would recommend for the Octo to reach at least 12V out (balanced)
This will give you the opportunity to add 5dB gain for recordings that need it.
When you hear the sound getting less smooth at high levels you just dial back.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When driving it from the + side of a balanced connection the output voltage (balanced) should be 6.86V.

wouldn't the amp clipping aggressively damage the tweeter? Is this a risk worth taking?

solderdude

Grand Contributor

That will only be the case at maxed out volume (owner will know the volume is set at max) with recordings that are reaching 0dB.
The owner will know that when the volume control is set above -6dB he should be more careful.

In most cases his volume control will be between -40 and -10 at best.

OP
J

Jaje

As I am usually listen to classical music where 0dBFS is quite rare and I listen currently via Burson Conductor 3P (I guess unbalanced 2V RMS) at 2 o'clock at most, I'll opt for 12V out balanced (max. they offer as custom output voltage). Thank you both @solderdude and @abdo123 for answers!

Top Bottom