• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto Research 8 DAC Stereo as a streamer

Zenek73

Hello :)

I have a question about this okto DAC - there is an option to buy streaming or non-streaming version. I could see only non-streaming version available so far...
1. Can I buy such a basic version and install my own RP4 without loosing garantiee? Or maybe its not possible - not sure about antenna etc...
2. Streaming version shows information about artists etc while playing stream from ROON? Is it Roon Ready btw?

Best regards! :)

Mike Rubin

You posted this a long time ago and Oktos are pretty unavailable, so you may already know the answer or no longer care about it, but, for the record, you definitely can install a Pi without affecting the warranty. In fact, Okto Research sent me instructions for so doing and they were very easy to follow. Despite the goofy USB back panel connection, the Pi works well with the DAC. I prefer streaming to another device that I connect to the other USB port, but the Pi is a fabulous backup and it will stream to other DLNA renderers on your network even if you are using the other Okto USB port at the time.

You can stream to the Pi using Ropieee XL software, which can be configured as a Roon endpoint. There probably are other ways to do it, as well, but that one worked well for me.

Top Bottom