• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto DAC8 Stereo review and measurements-Stereophile

Celentano

1611299491877.png

Celentano

Ye, that is really impressive... That DAC cannot properly construct a sine wave and what is the point to have a good noise floor if it cannot do essential DAC properly

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ye, that is really impressive... That DAC cannot properly construct a sine wave and what is the point to have a good noise floor if it cannot do essential DAC properly

I doubt that you can hear anything at -90db even with your ears closely against the speakers.
Even at -60db it would be a faint sound.
Compare to -99db = absolute silence.

dkfan9

I doubt that you can hear anything at -90db even with your ears closely against the speakers.
Even at -60db it would be a faint sound.
Compare to -99db = absolute silence.
? dB is a relative scale. -90dBFS can be made audible. If you have your system set up to movie reference level, -90dBFS is at 15dB SPL at the listening position--above 0dB SPL, the inaudible level. Whether it ends up audible at listening position in a room depends on many factors, but if listening position is 10 feet and you get about an inch from the speaker, that 15dB SPL becomes 55dB SPL. I think the more relevant counter to the misinformed criticism is to take a look at other DAC reviews at Stereophile and see that this is not bad performance.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
? dB is a relative scale. -90dBFS can be made audible. If you have your system set up to movie reference level, -90dBFS is at 15dB SPL at the listening position--above 0dB SPL, the inaudible level. Whether it ends up audible at listening position in a room depends on many factors, but if listening position is 10 feet and you get about an inch from the speaker, that 15dB SPL becomes 55dB SPL. I think the more relevant counter to the misinformed criticism is to take a look at other DAC reviews at Stereophile and see that this is not bad performance.

Of course, I made a short cut avoiding a long post.
There are so many test cd's, Chesky and else.
The usual way is to hear at usual listening level and then get the same samples at -20db, -60db from that previous listening level.

My point was just to put in real perspective what a -90db would mean and not just on a graph.

dkfan9

Of course, I made a short cut avoiding a long post.
There are so many test cd's, Chesky and else.
The usual way is to hear at usual listening level and then get the same samples at -20db, -60db from that previous listening level.

My point was just to put in real perspective what a -90db would mean and not just on a graph.
Ok, understood.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
If the signal is at -90dbFS, the distortions of that -90dbFS signal are significantly below, otherwise it would not even remotely looks like a sinusoid.
DAC8 Stereo measurements gives distortions at -135dbFS, so 45db below that -90dbFS signal.

Top Bottom