• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

poopy

I haven’t received mine yet but looked at the manual. If appears that you assigned the same input to multiple outs, so that would be the simplest solution.

Thanks for checking. Where did you see on the manual that one can assign multiple outputs to a single input?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for checking. Where did you see on the manual that one can assign multiple outputs to a single input?

Page 15 of the DAC8 pro manual: routing submenu

poopy

I haven’t received mine yet but looked at the manual. If appears that you can assign the same input to multiple outs, so that would be the simplest solution.

When did you order yours by the way?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

poopy

I looked into it for you, but mine is so tightly nestled into the rack now that getting at those bits would be prohibitive.
Perhaps someone with a fresh stand alone one not yet 'embedded' could try it?
OR, WHEN/IF I get the correct, proper rack mount ears from Pavel I could do it then....

Would you be in a position to confirm (see posts above) that 1 input could be assigned to multiple outputs by using the routing submenu?
Thanks

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure. Yes, it works as described.

poopy

Sure. Yes, it works as described.

Thanks a lot for checking! And this is not specific to the USB input, this also works with AES/EBU inputs?

Looks like I'm going to order one next week :p

Qwin

Order number 153 placed late June.

@EchoChamber: I see you received your DAC8 Stereo on the 10th September.
Mine is order #152 and still waiting. :rolleyes: I have gone for a non std 2v output which may have pushed it back a bit.

I'm curious, what version of the Pi4B is fitted to the DAC8 Stereo-Streamer, the 2GB or 4GB RAM version?

I have a Pi4B currently (4GB) running into a Topping D90 (std) and Freya Plus Pre in valve mode ( I also have a vinyl source to accommodate).
It was mentioned earlier about temperatures on the Pi. I know this has been a point of contention generally with the Pi4B, but this must be when doing some serious number crunching. As a music streamer the demands on the processor are not great and I have never had heat problems.
Mine is running in open air (no case) and has a low profile heat sink attached to the processor with thermally conductive adhesive.
At 20 deg C ambient, after several hours running, playing music, it's no more than 41.6 deg C over the processor. The RAM chip has no heat sink and runs at 42.1 deg C.
Running Inverted in the DAC8 case, might increase temperatures, I have the option of fitting my existing Pi4B with heat sink, so was curious what RAM is in the supplied Pi ?

Feyire

@EchoChamberI'm curious, what version of the Pi4B is fitted to the DAC8 Stereo-Streamer, the 2GB or 4GB RAM version?
When I asked @Okto Research back in April, I was told it would be the 2GB model with 16GB SD card.

But after checking my DAC8 stereo just now:
  • Model:
    • Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.1
  • Revision:
    • a03111
The revision, according to this document:

1600606845875.png

So I'm a bit disappointed that @Okto Research said it would be the 2GB model, when in fact I received a 1GB model.

Also confirmed by running top:

1600606959791.png

Attachments

• 1600606931047.png
    1600606931047.png
    13 KB · Views: 72

Qwin

1 GB is enough to run most apps.
I may put my 4GB Pi with 32GB SD card in there. Its already set up and running MoOde, with LMS also installed.

I like the sound quality of MoOde better, which like Volumio and Rune, has Music Player Daemon running in the background as the actual player.
These three were all forks from a common project.
LMS uses Logitech's own Squeezelite player, which is also included in MoOde, you can turn this on in the MoOde GUI, Audio settings and control LMS from any networked device. I use LMS purely for its Qobuz plug in, it sounds full bodied and richer than MoOde, but ultimately is a bit over ripe (coloured) and not as realistic in my set up. YMMV.

DaaDaa

ya'll were right that the non streaming model comes with everything needed for the pi. ordered a 4GB model install in it. i love this DAC. it sounds great with in my system. next week im gonna compare it to matrix element X. I put the photo on reddit but im gonna put it here too:

4bD4bgT.jpg

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
@EchoChamber: I see you received your DAC8 Stereo on the 10th September.
Mine is order #152 and still waiting. :rolleyes: I have gone for a non std 2v output which may have pushed it back a bit.

I'm curious, what version of the Pi4B is fitted to the DAC8 Stereo-Streamer, the 2GB or 4GB RAM version?

I have a Pi4B currently (4GB) running into a Topping D90 (std) and Freya Plus Pre in valve mode ( I also have a vinyl source to accommodate).
It was mentioned earlier about temperatures on the Pi. I know this has been a point of contention generally with the Pi4B, but this must be when doing some serious number crunching. As a music streamer the demands on the processor are not great and I have never had heat problems.
Mine is running in open air (no case) and has a low profile heat sink attached to the processor with thermally conductive adhesive.
At 20 deg C ambient, after several hours running, playing music, it's no more than 41.6 deg C over the processor. The RAM chip has no heat sink and runs at 42.1 deg C.
Running Inverted in the DAC8 case, might increase temperatures, I have the option of fitting my existing Pi4B with heat sink, so was curious what RAM is in the supplied Pi ?

I’m not sure how much RAM I have, not sure how I can find that out easily... I have RoPieeeXL installed, right now it tells me the Pi board is at 51°C.

I had no issues streaming so far. But I don’t use streaming that often though... Right now I’m mostly using the AES or Toslink inputs. I’ll move to USB and Toslink once I get my Genelec 8351B’s delivered.

My guess is that Okto had to go for 1GB Pi4 boards due to supply issues. It should be an easy swap though. Everything is modular inside the case.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m not sure how much RAM I have, not sure how I can find that out easily... I have RoPieeeXL installed, right now it tells me the Pi board is at 51°C.

I had no issues streaming so far. But I don’t use streaming that often though... Right now I’m mostly using the AES or Toslink inputs. I’ll move to USB and Toslink once I get my Genelec 8351B’s delivered.

My guess is that Okto had to go for 1GB Pi4 boards due to supply issues. It should be an easy swap though. Everything is modular inside the case.
Why do you need a DAC with Genelec 8351B’s?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Why do you need a DAC with Genelec 8351B’s?
Well... I have multiple digital inputs and the Dac8 usage is more user friendly for non critical usage. But I might find myself with redundant functionality...

wineds

Check the document linked in post 674. You will need to SSH in using putty and run
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then look up your model number in the document.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Check the document linked in post 674. You will need to SSH in using putty and run
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Then look up your model number in the document.
Cool, I was able to SSH and my board revision is "b03111", looks like my Dad 8 came with the 2 GB board.

@Qwin

Qwin

Cool, I was able to SSH and my board revision is "b03111", looks like my Dad 8 came with the 2 GB board.

Looks like there is no fixed spec for the Pi, it's what ever was available when stock needed replenishing.
There are plenty of folks running music streaming apps on earlier Pi3 etc with 1GB RAM, so its not a critical factor.
My first Pi was a 4B with 4GB fitted and I fitted heat sinks to this, it's what's used in my current Topping D90 set up.
It makes sense for me just to transplant this into my imminent DAC8 Stereo, as it is up and running as a system, including NAS.

DaaDaa

why does there need to be a usb cable connected between the rpi and the usb input 2 on the DAC8stereo when the pi is already connected via GPIO and recognized? i dont get it.

Top Bottom