• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Andreas007

Impressive results. Whether we need them or not.
But it‘s nice to see what can be done in terms of measured performance.

Last edited:

ENG

Forum Donor
I'm tempted to buy this Okto dac8 stereo. Are there some members who owns this and know how it works with Dirac ? Perhaps MiniDSP SHD is better to room correction but is not at the same level for the rest compared to Okto dac8 stereo.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods

kaa

I'm tempted to buy this Okto dac8 stereo. Are there some members who owns this and know how it works with Dirac ? Perhaps MiniDSP SHD is better to room correction but is not at the same level for the rest compared to Okto dac8 stereo.
I am considering pairing this with a SHD Studio sometime later this year.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Very dry sound, i'm tired from that dac, sold it.

How does it sounds is not interest to anyone in this forum. Only measurments!
Or DACs that measures well enough are completely transparent to our ears. Then the numbers and performance are just companies showing off their design skills. If a product is expensive then it better be measuring superb.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I bought my analyzer I prefer to just take the actual measurements. I can measure up to 128 SINAD with my setup.
What I mean is put measurements or theoretical calculations side by side in one post that prove/show that your DAC provides the same results as the Okto DAC8 in this review when combined with the same amp. I'm just asking you to clearly show that, for my benefit & others. I provided you with an online calculator that can combine SINADS of different components in an audio chain, which would help you illustrate it on a theoretical level. I'm just looking for you to show me/others in one post in a side by side fashion so we can see what you mean. Theoretical would be fine, just plug in the numbers of the theoretical SINADS and show us the result in a side-by-side fashion. (You could choose a rubbish amp and the best amp and put up two seperate sets of comparative results showing if there are any benefits of using a better performing DAC with a better amp for instance)

zskyper

Well designed, nice results but overpriced for this luxurious "PI metal" case + poor DAC (limited), I recommend the D90 STANDARD + Raspeberry PI 4 + any good and free linux distro (not volumio)...
TOPPING D90 DAC AK4499 DSD512 $700
Raspberry Pi 4 Model B – 4Gb $55
Cheers,
z

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What is a drive? You mean golfing panther? If so, I use the soccer one for European products to mean the same. :)
I could be wrong with my minimal knowledge around the Golf glossary. I thought the first shot is called a drive from the tee box :D

Sunship

So nice to read!
This very DAC, Pavel and his colleagues were here:
https://www.sunshipaudio.com/2020/02/okto-dac8-stereo.html
Great DAC, great people.
IMG_3671.jpg

Last edited:

miero

Very dry sound, i'm tired from that dac, sold it.

How does it sounds is not interest to anyone in this forum. Only measurments!
It is not true, Amir does listening tests for speakers.

@amirm would you mind to listen to this DAC for couple of days in your listening room instead of your current DAC?

Sunship

This DAC sounds amazing! I listened to it for several days in the listening room pictured above and on my similar system at home. "Very dry sound" means nothing. If you don't like the sound you have a problem elsewhere in your system.

It is very well built too. Nice CNC-machined panels case, very tight tolerances. 20/20.

Top Bottom