• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I use the same template for every test so no mistake can happen. The bandwidth is at the bottom of the dashboard:

View attachment 73381

Maybe AP hand picked my unit when it comes to noise and distortion. :D
Loopback maybe? What's the loopback performance of your apx555 given the same condition? I mean it's possible that ap has different output noises at different output levels independent to the input. So in that case it may make sense.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir bought it to bring in traffic, and increase the value of the forum. Plus a massive increase in donations.
Mike, you always give yourself away. You have so little common sense. You can buy all the precision measurement gear you want. You won't get anywhere until you have my good looks:

97094bceb5de60f5f2e8d12323bd2d53.jpg

And that was *before* I grew chest hair!!!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Loopback maybe? What's the loopback performance of your apx555 given the same condition?
How do you get loopback with ASIO digital on the output and analog balanced on the input???

You can't get the same measurement from APx555 since its DAC is not as good as okto.

Looks like you are confusing the performance of AP when it is producing digital samples (which is as perfect as it can get) versus using its analog generator. The former is essentially noise-free to -140 dB.

Sonic delight

How do you get loopback with ASIO digital on the output and analog balanced on the input???

You can't get the same measurement from APx555 since its DAC is not as good as okto.

Looks like you are confusing the performance of AP when it is producing digital samples (which is as perfect as it can get) versus using its analog generator. The former is essentially noise-free to -140 dB.

My rig can do analog SINAD up to -128dB. But limited to 24v with that performance. So good for everything but speaker amps. With speaker amps up to 100v I’m capped at just over 116dN SINAD. But I do have $5k into it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
In any measurement device, what matters is precision and accuracy. I'm 50/50 whether you are trolling ASR - I guess it will depend on whether you start another thread about your $5k audio analyzer.
He is definitely trolling us. I have lost track of how many times Mike (aka Mivera) has come back with a different login.

Stuff he builds have been shown by us to be totally unsafe. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...design-of-diy-originated-audio-products.1865/

Just last week I had to walk someone into fixing a safety issue with an amp he sold.

He assembles electronics without understanding anything about them. And hates measurements because they show he doesn't know how to engineer them right.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

I meant same input condition.
Yesterday I measured AP's output noise with my 40dB noise amplifier at minimum output level that still has an output about 30nV iirc. So I assumed it wouldn't change with levels. But it may actually change. The output noise is 0.18uV much lower than the input of 0.85uV at 310mV range.

The way to test the noise at higher level is to set output higher than 20khz and use external low pass to remove the tone to crush the amplitude. Then put it through the 40dB amplifier. I'll try that later.

What it shows is possibly that the noise of DAC8 stereo is lower than AP's output. But it's that the dynamic range is not that high (only 127dB) made me confused. The input equivalent noise at 5V range is about 5uV so the dynamic range number should always be higher than dashboard so no issue there.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand all the bragging about anplifier distortion when the distortion of transducers is so much higher.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My rig can do analog SINAD up to -128dB. But limited to 24v with that performance. So good for everything but speaker amps. With speaker amps up to 100v I’m capped at just over 116dN SINAD. But I do have $5k into it.
You don't know what you have. You have a Prism Sound dSound. It uses a DAC for its signal generator which means it is not remotely useful to measure high performance analog electronics. APx555 uses a superb analog generator that allows us to test just about any electronics without its own performance becoming the limitation.

Prism dSound is a good starter analyzer and nice that you finally bought one assuming you are not lying and using someone else's pictures.

Sonic delight

I don't understand all the bragging about anplifier distortion when the distortion of transducers is so much higher.

Because the objective isn’t better performance, it’s more traffic. So the more you can generalize and dumb down, the more people you’ll connect with.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
You don't know what you have. You have a Prism Sound dSound. It uses a DAC for its signal generator which means it is not remotely useful to measure high performance analog electronics. APx555 uses a superb analog generator that allows us to test just about any electronics without its own performance becoming the limitation.

Prism dSound is a good starter analyzer and nice that you finally bought one assuming you are not lying and using someone else's pictures.
Oh.....

Sonic delight

I have already shown screenshots with better than 115 SINAD. Does that model have that capability? I can measure analog electronics up to 128 SINAD.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He is definitely trolling us. I have lost track of how many times Mike (aka Mivera) has come back with a different login.

Stuff he builds have been shown by us to be totally unsafe. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...design-of-diy-originated-audio-products.1865/

Just last week I had to walk someone into fixing a safety issue with an amp he sold.

He assembles electronics without understanding anything about them. And hates measurements because they show he doesn't know how to engineer them right.
Well this just got weird....so about that Okto DAC...

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I have already shown screenshots with better than 115 SINAD. Does that model have that capability? I can measure analog electronics up to 128 SINAD.
I can use 250 dollar rig to measure down to -130dB THD+N. so...
But it would take me a whole day to produce the graph posted above or may not be able to.

Last edited:

miero

I miss amir's listening impressions in this review.

Top Bottom