• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

gvl

Major Contributor
Not sure why people pay $30k for an APx-555. I can measure SINAD up to 128 up to 24v, and 116 SINAD up to 100v up to from 20hz to 100khz. And I have only $5K into my setup. Lots of suckers out there!

All depends on the perspective. One driving a Toyota Corolla doesn't usually call an MBZ owner a sucker, on the auto ownership basis alone anyway, both go from A to B without issues.

Sonic delight

All depends on the perspective. One driving a Toyota Corolla doesn't usually call an MBZ owner a sucker, on the auto ownership basis alone anyway, both go from A to B without issues.

With measurement equipment what matters is results. You’re not going to get laid because you tell a woman you spent $30k on an audio analyzer. But with the $25k you saved you probably could purchase something that would give you a bit more luck.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
And for the record, it is a huge boon to all of us that Amir was willing to show such a commitment. Consider that when people don't like measured results they question the process, the equipment and the technician doing the measurement. In this case with such a well regarded piece of equipment it adds some credibility and weight to the reviews. I am not saying that a less expensive setup cannot also be very competent and respected, but I do not think it is at all appropriate to come into somebodies home and tell them the wine they served you is too expensive and that for way less money you can have just as good wine.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With measurement equipment what matters is results. You’re not going to get laid because you tell a woman you spent $30k on an audio analyzer. But with the $25k you saved you probably could purchase something that would give you a bit more luck.
In any measurement device, what matters is precision and accuracy. I'm 50/50 whether you are trolling ASR - I guess it will depend on whether you start another thread about your $5k audio analyzer.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Amir bought it to bring in traffic, and increase the value of the forum. Plus a massive increase in donations.
Even so, why would that be wrong to do and does that still mean that you should be denigrating and demean his actions? It is hard to not see your posts as anything but deliberately provocative. You could have made your point without implying anything negative about our host.

Sonic delight

According to Alexa the forum value has increased by over $130000 since Amir bought the analyzer. That’s without including a cent of donations. So good investment on his part. But I’m sharing my info on analyzers for everyone else. Folks who would rather save $25k for better results.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
If I had to guess it would be that you have allegiance to another community or some axe to grind. If you are American isn't the cornerstone of your society that people seek to maximize their quality of life through wealth acquisition? So why would it be wrong for Amir to do so?

Sonic delight

If I had to guess it would be that you have allegiance to another community or some axe to grind. If you are American isn't the cornerstone of your society that people seek to maximize their quality of life through wealth acquisition? So why would it be wrong for Amir to do so?

Why are you insinuating there’s a problem here? Have I said anything derogatory about anyone? I’m just providing solid, factual information to science oriented individuals.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Why are you insinuating there’s a problem here? Have I said anything derogatory about anyone? I’m just providing solid, factual information to science oriented individuals.
Yes, but you have couched it in a manner that implies that for one Amir is silly enough to waste money and or two that his motives are nothing but a cash grab. Both are rather negative and you could have just started another thread without making those points. I think you doth protest too much.

Sonic delight

Yes, but you have couched it in a manner that implies that for one Amir is silly enough to waste money and or two that his motives are nothing but a cash grab. Both are rather negative and you could have just started another thread without making those points. I think you doth protest too much.

Perhaps you should take a break from the screen. I already mentioned it was a wise and lucrative investment for Amir. The poor value proposition comment is geared towards others with only the goal of achieving the best measured results without taking out a 2nd mortgage on your house.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps you should take a break from the screen. I already mentioned it was a wise and lucrative investment for Amir. The poor value proposition comment is geared towards others with only the goal of achieving the best measured results without taking out a 2nd mortgage on your house.
Please contradict yourself in a new thread.

gvl

Major Contributor

I would say the people flashing their APs results here are in one way or another connected to the industry, and it's unlikely they spent their hobby money on it Amir perhaps being an exception, it was either a business decision or the equipment belongs to their employer.

Sonic delight

I would say the people flashing their APs results here are in one way or another connected to the industry, and it's unlikely they spent their hobby money on it, it was either a business decision or the equipment belongs to their employer.

Yes it is a business decision for them. But if all you’re interested in is data for your own internal needs, you don’t need the AP badge bragging rights.

gvl

Major Contributor
Yes it is a business decision for them. But if all you’re interested in is data for your own internal needs, you don’t need the AP badge bragging rights.

I doubt anyone here is in that category. For your own needs you just buy an RME ADI FS PRO.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm Is the bandwidth used for dashboard correct?
I use the same template for every test so no mistake can happen. The bandwidth is at the bottom of the dashboard:

1594782310796.png

Maybe AP hand picked my unit when it comes to noise and distortion. :D

Top Bottom