• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why there is no drive from Panther @amirm?

Surprisingly I was browsing their website this morning :)

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone know what D/S chip they used?
Probably also worth mentioning that the display is OLED...I would be concerned about burn in after long term use.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Look at the price, I'm not seeing anything remotely close to what it offers. Small company, small output, and still within a "sane" pricepoint.
Oh yeah, I love it, I ordered one a few weeks ago! :-D

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feels like a bit like hack, doesn’t it? I thought the whole DAC integrated with the Pi like a “hat”. I think they might have run into issues integrating the Pi that way. Should work just as well though. Good thing there are 2 USB inputs.

If Roon can Volumio can control the DSP volume it would be well integrated.
I posted this question twice on the Okto site with no response.

- Rich

PuX

Volumio allows you to stream files in basically any format the other way - not to Volumio, but from Volumio, using another server as source.

Just set up an DLNA server (very easy) and put some files in it. Then open Volumio interface and pick the files you want to play. Should not lose any resolution, bits etc - it's just a computer running Linux.

John1959

BTW, nice to know that since the review of the original 8-channel version DAC8 Pro by Amirm that unit got several improvements including a slightly better technical performance (a few dB higher SINAD) and an improved case. And some firmware upgrades too. Of course it can never reach the performance of this stereo version because of the benefits of combining the 8 channels to a stereo pair.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
They still taking forever with orders and communication though?
Well... Okto Research is a start up and they are trying to get a high end, high tech product out the door. It’s demanding, many details to get right. Especially during a global pandemic. But based on this review, I’d say Pavel and team are doing an awesome job.

Sonic delight

Here's what $20 buys you. Who could tell them apart blind?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...earchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_
Meizu hifi 2 SINAD.PNG

Last edited:

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Volumio allows you to stream files in basically any format the other way - not to Volumio, but from Volumio, using another server as source.

Just set up an DLNA server (very easy) and put some files in it. Then open Volumio interface and pick the files you want to play. Should not lose any resolution, bits etc - it's just a computer running Linux.

Volumio also has a plug in for a Roon endpoint that supports the full bitrate and bit-depth of the DAC.

- Rich

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Volumio also has a plug in for a Roon endpoint that supports the full bitrate and bit-depth of the DAC.

- Rich
Since I’ve been only using Roon lately, I plan to set it up with RoPiee XL like I currently do with my Pi 3b+.

filo97s

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is great, but isn't the miniDsp SHD at $1200 USD a better value given it includes streaming (Volumio) and Dirac Live?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like my new electronics will consist of the Octo 8 Pro and a Purifi Eval 1 and the THX 789. The Octo 8 Pro would be absolutely perfect if they added on board DSP. Something like the miniDSP 2 x 8 Nanodigi maybe.

Last edited:

Sonic delight

Looks like my new electronics will consist of the Octo 8 Pro and a Purifi Eval 1. The Octo would be absolutely perfect if they added on board DSP. Something like the miniDSP 2 x 8 Nanodigi maybe.

Any DAC with a SINAD better than -105dB is pointless with those amps. As the amp SINAD is the bottleneck. In fact the $20 dongle I just posted measurements of is overkill as well with that amp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why there is no drive from Panther @amirm?
What is a drive? You mean golfing panther? If so, I use the soccer one for European products to mean the same. :)

Top Bottom