• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

TheInquiring

The Dac8 landed to replace a Benchmark Dac2. Only need to set up Volumio, till then will feeding from a mac mini. Will follow up with fist impressions and comparison to the Dac2.
Could you please share your findings on <Mac mini> vs. <embedded PI> SOUND in your system?;)
And another question for you, dear experts: Would you consider the s82 from exaSound a step up from Okto DAC?:facepalm:

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And another question for you, dear experts: Would you consider the s82 from exaSound a step up from Okto DAC?:facepalm:
Depends on features you need, both will obviously sound the same

Burki

Could you please share your findings on <Mac mini> vs. <embedded PI> SOUND in your system?;)
Only compared Okto DAC8 Pro ans the exaSound e68. After that, I've sold the Okto...
By the way: Support from exaSound is multiple better, than the not really available support from Okto Research.

Feyire

Only compared Okto DAC8 Pro ans the exaSound e68. After that, I've sold the Okto...
By the way: Support from exaSound is multiple better, than the not really available support from Okto Research.
Would indeed be nice if Pavel started answering e-mails or checking the forum here once in a while again. The only communication as of late seems to be when they have something to sell available.

poopy

Depends on features you need, both will obviously sound the same
Depends also on the budget available. The exasound s82 is about 5 times the price of the dac8 Stereo (in Europe). In terms of measurements, the dac8 Stereo may in fact measure better. Main difference seems to be in customer service, but hard to justify the high price tag though.

poopy

Would indeed be nice if Pavel started answering e-mails or checking the forum here once in a while again. The only communication as of late seems to be when they have something to sell available.
That depends. The only time I had an issue, Pavel replied me within an hour. For other questions related to settings or further customization, never got any replies.

For a 8 channel DAC, there is no competition to the dac8 pro in terms of price tags and possibly measurement's. They know it. They already have more customers than products to sell. In fact, they don't need to reply emails except the ones mentioning their unit does't work anymore.

TheInquiring

Could you please elaborate a bit on the differences in sound you observed, if possible? IMHO, the support customers receive is extremely important...

Burki

Could you please elaborate a bit on the differences in sound you observed, if possible? IMHO, the support customers receive is extremely important...
I've not made a test protocol, but for me the Okto sounds similar to the RME ADI-2. Clean und shows all from the source.
With the exaSound I can't stop to listen; not the source, but the music.
ExaSound has an own implementation in the USB stack (also ASIO drivers for MAC and you can use until DSD256 with eight channels). On the other side, Okto Research is using a standard implementation and so you can use it with Linux or Android. In the S82 (and S88) there is also running a Linux (not open and in here they have build there own drivers).
Pavel has since now not developed an update util for the firmware.
What I want to say: exaSound takes much more care about the software and firmware than Okto Research.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I have both on-line and I choose to play the exaSound almost all the time.

My only concern with exaSound E68 (Made in Canada!) would be no XLR balanced output. This would be no problem at all as you use it almost all the time, right?
https://www.exasound.com/Products/e688-channelDAC.aspx
WS003663.JPG

Do you know the possibility or not of having two of exaSound E68 "in full sync manner" to be recognized as 16-channel DAC by our PC through the dedicated USB ASIO driver?

I assume that the outer DC 12V 1.5A PS is very nice concept and design for excellent sound quality...

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
My only concern with exaSound E68 (Made in Canada!) would be no XLR balanced output. This would be no problem at all as you use it almost all the time, right?
Not my problem because I use an s88.
Do you know the possibility or not of having two of exaSound E68 "in full sync manner" to be recognized as 16-channel DAC by our PC through the dedicated USB ASIO driver?
I believe it is possible in MacOS but not in Win.
I assume that the outer DC 12V 1.5A PS is very nice concept and design for excellent sound quality...
Yes.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe it is possible in MacOS but not in Win.

Thank you for your quick reply.

I do not use Mac at all; just for my curiosity, how does MacOS synchronize two independent DACs through USB connection?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you for your quick reply.

I do not use Mac at all; just for my curiosity, how does MacOS synchronize two independent DACs through USB connection?
MacOS allows for the creation of a (single) virtual output device consisting of more than one real device and to distribute multiple channels over those devices.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
MacOS allows for the creation of a (single) virtual output device consisting of more than one real device and to distribute multiple channels over those devices.

Thank you. Is it true for two separate USB DACs (each has own clock) in full sync manner with each other? If so, looks really nice.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Thank you. Is it true for two separate USB DACs (each has own clock) in full sync manner with each other? If so, looks really nice.
I did it with Mytek DACs that had clock-links.

veloaudio

Has the headphone amp SNR on the Okto Stereo been posted? I went back through the thread and I couldn't find it.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Reporting after 1.5 years of almost daily use: flawless functioning, I did not test yet the streaming function. An excellent DAC that has gifted me hours and hours of listening pleasure with no gremlins during its use.
I second that!

Top Bottom