• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

AudioExplorer

I just received my DAC8 stereo on Wednesday. It was shipped a little more than a week before that. The order number was 257. Others that had higher order numbers got their DAC sooner but those were the silver finish. Pavel said they were having problems with the black finish ones due to some issues with anodization of the face plates.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
After being delayed 4 weeks from the initial 4 to 8 week wait, it has been delayed another 3 weeks. Lol.. Oh well.
Anyone else received their units recently?
Normal for Okto. See my other posts about wait time as inevitable given the competitive price. Probably a $ 20 k similarly performing DAC would not be delayed.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Normal for Okto. See my other posts about wait time as inevitable given the competitive price. Probably a $ 20 k similarly performing DAC would not be delayed.

I definitely agree with this. It seems like typical wait time is ~20 weeks. While Okto could be better about support/communication I think the long wait time is mostly due to low cost relative to performance and the resulting high demand. While I do not quite get the appeal of the stereo version, the 8 channel version is really in a league of its own in terms of performance, input functionality, fit/finish and user interface. There is nothing that comes close for the price.

Michael

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my Dac8 Pro almost 3 weeks ago now (ordered 10/1/20, #222) and all I can say is it was totally worth the wait to implement with my active XO speaker set up. Going from a Minidsp 4x10 performing the same duties there is no comparison with the noise floor.

If you have genuine use, just order one once available again and be prepared to wait it out. All good things come to those who do....

edit: mine was black face and also subject to the bad anodizing hold up for delivery.

Last edited:

AudioExplorer

Looking at the jitter plots from Amir’s review and from John Atkinson’s review in Stereophile, there seems to be some difference in the jitter performance using coax, optical and AES inputs. In Amir’s measurements, coax had some low frequency jitter components but AES/EBU and optical were fine. In the Stereophile measurements all three of these inputs were reported to have these types of components and only USB was clean. Does anyone have insight into what is the most likely cause of this discrepancy?

officialsm

Wrote 2 weeks ago to Okto asking about Raspberry integration. Never replied. Not so serious, so difficult to buy from someone who is not reading and replies emails.

Order #335ish here: I reached out to Okto regarding delivery date last week, got a reply within 3 hours time, unfortunately delivery is delayed by 5 more weeks.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor

hampestampe

Order #335ish here: I reached out to Okto regarding delivery date last week, got a reply within 3 hours time, unfortunately delivery is delayed by 5 more weeks.
Ok.
My order number is #281, the latest answer I got was on Sunday April 11. They told me that the unit should be shipped within two weeks. That meens it should be shipped this week.
But they don't have a good track record in estimation of delivery time.

Kemp

My order is #280 for black stereo. Not received any communication so far since last email back in early March.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've hit the 15 week anniversary of my order. At least it's not as bad as the wait for an A16 Realiser (yet) :(.

SimonSambuca

As written in the other thread - I've been waiting for my Dac8 Pro (#254) for 20 weeks now. I hope now that it will not be more than 25 weeks...

AudioExplorer

I saw a comment above about Raspberry Pi integration. I had a similar concern when I ordered the DAC. Since I have received it, I have been quite happy with how the streaming solution works. I installed Ropieee XL and am able to do both DLNA and Airplay without any issues. And it seems very stable as well. Very convenient with no loss of quality that I can discern versus USB.

hampestampe

Finaly, after 19 weeks of waiting my #281 Okto dac8 stereo, silver non-streaming, is ready to get picked up. The unit arived at my pick up point yesterday, but since I'm not home until tommorw I have to wait like 21 more h.
I look forward to get it playing some music tommorow.
A lot of delays but finaly! ❤️❤️

Kemp

My #280 black Stereo unit, ordered in December is being delivered on Monday. It was shipped last week but there was delay in customs clearance and it’s finally here. Can’t wait..:)

Top Bottom