• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So the good news is a part arrived today. The bad news is that he sent me an 8 channel board for a 2 channel DAC. Didn't notice until I was ready to plug it in.

The fun continues....

I've asked them to overnight the replacement.
Again, I will update when I know more.
Aren't they the same just more sockets?

mp006ltk

It looks like the other difference is the headers for the board that plugs in on top to rewire the sockets in parallel.

If I wasn't selling this I would totally convert it.

revelution

So the good news is a part arrived today. The bad news is that he sent me an 8 channel board for a 2 channel DAC. Didn't notice until I was ready to plug it in.

The fun continues....

I've asked them to overnight the replacement.
Again, I will update when I know more.

Ooof... that sucks. Hopefully this is just growing pains as their business expands. With any luck they’ll improve their operations so stuff like this doesn’t happen, otherwise I don’t see many consumers wanting to take the chance on buying their stuff.

hampestampe

Just received an answer from Okto about my order #281. They are telling me, that it will be 2-3 weeks further delayed. If that is correct the lead time will be around 11-12 weeks. The order was placed December 27.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Arrived. Listening to it. Rediscovering old tunes. Transfixed like a butterfly on a pin. I guess it is a good sign. As a personal observation, wider volume of space, more air around players. Enough for now.

hampestampe

Arrived. Listening to it. Rediscovering old tunes. Transfixed like a butterfly on a pin. I guess it is a good sign. As a personal observation, wider volume of space, more air around players. Enough for now.
Did you just recive it? You wrote before that they sipped your unit the 21 of february and you placed your order in September.
Did you whait for something like 5 months?

Kemp

Just received an answer from Okto about my order #281. They are telling me, that it will be 2-3 weeks further delayed. If that is correct the lead time will be around 11-12 weeks. The order was placed December 27.

My order is 280, placed on 26th December. I have just had similar reply yesterday that it will be 2-3 weeks.

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any manufacturing requires supplies. How much to store in your warehouse is a variable that influences the retail price of your product. If Okto sold the DAC Stereo at 10 times its current price (like many of its competitors do) it would likely decrease the wait-time. But I would likely not enjoy it. Just consider this.

Last edited:

John1959

After reading the extremely favourable Stereophile review in the February issue, I am not very optimistic about their lead times in the near future. Unless they manage to speed up their production considerably, which is not a trivial task or even very risky I guess for such a niche product. It's a small company after all (only a few people involved). Maybe this is also the main reason that their products are extremely well designed and assembled.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ummmm, my Okto Dac8Pro (order #222) is supposed to ship tomorrow and my order was placed Oct 1st. Yes consideration for the new factory, Covid and the last batch of faceplates had bad anodizing and were returned. Happy my 5 month saga is near the end.

JohnM-73

And it still says, “Our current lead time is 6-8 weeks” on their website. Very misleading to a new customer potentially unaware of the real time scales...

Veri

Master Contributor
Is this an ES9038PRO design or some other ESS chip? The website doesn't say exactly.
It is an ES9028Pro design. And it's currently ranked #1 here so safe to assume a redesign based on ES9038 cannot improve much if anything here :)

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How would I add a subwoofer out this dac if the sub doesn’t have XLR. Can I use two of these Benchmark cables?
https://benchmarkmedia.com/collecti...dapter-cable-pin-3-floating?variant=547761981
Yes,,, and you also have two other options which work always simultaneously.

Option-1:
We can use nice haedphone out (CH1+CH2) of DAC8PRO and DAC8 Stereo for RCA unbalanced input into amplifiers, if you really would like to do so using stereo TSR to RCA adaptor like XCaliber's DAP XGA-18.

One nice feature of this route is that the headphone out (CH1+CH2) is also under the volume/Gain control of DAC8's preamp functions. I use this RCA unbalanced headphone out (CH1+CH2) of my DAC8PRO into L and R active sub-woofers (capable of both RCA line level and speaker level inputs) as shown here.

Option-2:
If you have another DAC capable of AES/EBU digital input and RCA unbalanced output,,,
DAC8PRO and DAC8 Stereo has one AES/EBU digital out of "CH1+CH2 through digital out". You may connect this into another DAC capable of AES/EBU digital input like ONKYO DAC-1000. In this case, DAC8PRO and DAC-1000 are fully "in sync" since AES/EBU signal contains the "sync clock info" for DAC-1000; DAC-1000 does not use its internal clock but it uses the AES/EBU signal for synchronization. You may use DAC-1000's RCA unbalanced output into sub-woofers or amplifiers.

I fully confirmed this with my DAC8PRO and I can use this route, as shared in my specific post.

Please note that the AES/EBU digital out of DAC8PRO and ADC8 Stereo is the "Through digital of CH1+CH2" which is not under the control of DAC8's preamp functions including the Volume and Gain controllers. In case we can control the "Master Volume" in upstream before DAC8, i.e. by JRiver's or Roon's or Digital Crossover Software's Volume controller, we would have no problem in Master Volume control. This is the case with my system using JRiver or Roon. Or you may apply "Volume Control" in downstream at active sub-woofer with volume control.

Consequently, in my multichannel multi-amplifier project using DAC8PRO, the L & R sub-woofers are now fed by either of Option-1 and Oprion-2, as shared here.

Last edited:

Dealux

Do those dual XLR outputs work at the same time? In my set-up I would like to connect two headphone amps at the same time and perhaps use them simultaneously. That would be sweet.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do those dual XLR outputs work at the same time? In my set-up I would like to connect two headphone amps at the same time and perhaps use them simultaneously. That would be sweet.

Yes, these "headphone unbalanced RCA out" and "AES/EBU digital out" are "always simultaneous" and "in sync" output of CH1+CH2, together with the main XLR balanced CH1+CH2 out; I have fully confirmed these with my DAC8PRO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom