• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

6) ? You could also do AES IN -> USB out -> PC/computer (map channels 1/2 ->3/4) -> USB IN (bi-directional).
In other words, use the bi-directional USB as a channel mapping loop, with AES 1/2 as your source.

I have to admit I like 3) though - very clever!

Very interesting application - you could even set Ch1/2 vs Ch3/4 output gains independently, as well as change them live, with the remote.
Okto Pro is kind of the Swiss army knife of DACs.

Oh, and...
7) You could take the Okto AES outputs and feed them to a DSP/processor box, like the Venu360, but.....
:eek:
Last night I went through all the posts form the thread dedicated to the dac8 pro.
One post of Okto Research drew my attention particularly. Pavel was explaining how to get performances similar to the dac8 stereo when using the dac8 pro for stereo only:

The easiest way is just to simply connect the required number of channels together externally (DAC8 PRO outputs don't mind that). Each doubling of the number of summed channels will cause sqrt(2)-times decrease in RMS noise value due to its uncorrelated nature and normal distribution.

Because the full-scale output voltage remains the same, this results in 3dB dynamic range improvement for 2 summed channels, 6dB for 4 channels and 9dB for 8 channels (mono operation), pushing the dynamic range from the original 125dB to 128dB, 131dB or 134dB respectively (or reducing the RMS noise value from the original 2.4uV RMS to 1.7uV, 1.2uV or 0.84uV). Channel routing needs to be set appropriately in the menu

I don’t really see in practice how to do that. Have you tried that?
Does that mean that all the 4 AES/EBU inputs are simultaneously used and a 4-to-1 XLR cable is used for each channel?

Thanks for your help

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Last night I went through all the posts form the thread dedicated to the dac8 pro.
One post of Okto Research drew my attention particularly. Pavel was explaining how to get performances similar to the dac8 stereo when using the dac8 pro for stereo only:

The easiest way is just to simply connect the required number of channels together externally (DAC8 PRO outputs don't mind that). Each doubling of the number of summed channels will cause sqrt(2)-times decrease in RMS noise value due to its uncorrelated nature and normal distribution.

Because the full-scale output voltage remains the same, this results in 3dB dynamic range improvement for 2 summed channels, 6dB for 4 channels and 9dB for 8 channels (mono operation), pushing the dynamic range from the original 125dB to 128dB, 131dB or 134dB respectively (or reducing the RMS noise value from the original 2.4uV RMS to 1.7uV, 1.2uV or 0.84uV). Channel routing needs to be set appropriately in the menu

I don’t really see in practice how to do that. Have you tried that?
Does that mean that all the 4 AES/EBU inputs are simultaneously used and a 4-to-1 XLR cable is used for each channel?

Thanks for your help
B455FBD0-3E26-4108-9BE4-B2F129F5B794 (1).jpeg
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...okto-dac8-stereo-dac-review.14705/post-511180
On the top right, there's a board bridges the channels. So the board underneath are essentially the same as 8 Ch version. You can use wires connection the pins on the XLR socket pin by pin accordingly. Just to make sure different channels are outputting the same output otherwise you would short out the outputs (won't do harm but you get low output level)

Last edited:
You can use wires connection the pins on the XLR socket pin by pin accordingly. Just to make sure different channels are outputting the same output otherwise you would short out the outputs (won't do harm but you get low output level)
Can’t we just use a 4 to 1 XLR cable to connect the XLR sockets?

JohnYang1997

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Manufacturer
Can’t we just use a 4 to 1 XLR cable to connect the XLR sockets?
Well. It will be very difficult to find I suppose. If you can find one sure that will work.

Just to make sure different channels are outputting the same output otherwise you would short out the outputs (won't do harm but you get low output level)
I may see a problem with that.The outputs are not exact duplicate of one single output since the digital-analogue conversion is done separately for each input.

waynel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I may see a problem with that.The outputs are not exact duplicate of one single output since the digital-analogue conversion is done separately for each input.
That’s the point. The intended signal is the same but the noise is different so uncorrelated noise averages out lowering the noise floor.

Jimbob54

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a photo of this anywhere with the top cover off? Swear I saw one somewhere but I can't find it anymore
post 644, half a page up ;-)