• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel the D90 and A90 complement each other very well though. The A90 “softness” compensate some of the sonic signature of the D90.

I do listen only via speakers (I have no cans on my ears except when flying).
So I need that damn remote control and like to "see" the volume level.
Regretfully my reason not to have the A90.

Okto's panel volume indicator is truly nice .
My imagination could command my wallet for that reason alone :cool:

AudioExplorer

I just find it to sound very natural, which is something I’ve always been looking for. Nothing seems hyped, but yet all the information is there.

This year I had the following DACs playing in my main system:
Schiit Yggdrasil (latest version) - sold
RME Adi 2 DAC - returned after 2 weeks
Topping D90 MQA - now on desk system paired with the A90
Schiit Modius - now on home office paired with the Freya S
Dac8 - keeping it in the main system for now

I was wondering if you have had the Modius in your main system earlier and if you could characterize the degree and nature of any differences between the Modius and the DAC8.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I do listen only via speakers (I have no cans on my ears except when flying).
So I need that damn remote control and like to "see" the volume level.
Regretfully my reason not to have the A90.

Okto's panel volume indicator is truly nice .
My imagination could command my wallet for that reason alone :cool:

I hear you, a remote control is essential! The Apple remote complements the Dac8 very well. That big display is easily readable from my listening position, ~2.5 meters away.

I have it to turn off after 10 seconds to minimize distractions.

Last edited:

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I was wondering if you have had the Modius in your main system earlier and if you could characterize the degree and nature of any differences between the Modius and the DAC8.
When I compared the D90 MQA (in DAC mode) with the Modius using the Freya in passive mode, I perceived both being able to provide similar levels of detail and sounding almost identical, same timbre and tonal character. I felt the D90 to have a “denser” midrange sounding a bit “bigger” and a small edge in transparency. Not night and day, these are 2 high performing DACs after all.

I haven’t had the chance to compare that back to the Dac8 yet. My motivation to do so right now is low - I just want to enjoy the Dac8 and all its prowess. But I plan to subjectively compare it at some point.

Last edited:

wannarock2

... the D90..
Another question. I’m curious about the D90’s filters. On my current DAC I find the slow-roll off filter more pleasing to me. The music seems to suspend a little longer which I feel enhances the note decay. I see the D90 has a mode 4 super slow-roll off which has peaked my interest. I note you have previewed a number of DAC’s and query if you have had sufficient time to evaluate the D90 filters and would provide any feedback?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Another question. I’m curious about the D90’s filters. On my current DAC I find the slow-roll off filter more pleasing to me. The music seems to suspend a little longer which I feel enhances the note decay. I see the D90 has a mode 4 super slow-roll off which has peaked my interest. I note you have previewed a number of DAC’s and query if you have had sufficient time to evaluate the D90 filters and would provide any feedback?

I played a little bit with the different filters, but I felt their differences to be really really subtle, to the point I’m not sure I’m hearing anything different. I always end up going back to the default sharp filter. I haven’t played with those in the Dac8 yet, maybe it will be different given the level of transparency.

Now that the D90 MQA is on headphone duty paired with the A90, I might be better able to perceive nuances between the filters.

Vasr

Major Contributor
I played a little bit with the different filters, but I felt their differences to be really really subtle, to the point I’m not sure I’m hearing anything different. I always end up going back to the default sharp filter. I haven’t played with those in the Dac8 yet, maybe it will be different given the level of transparency.

Now that the D90 MQA is on headphone duty paired with the A90, I might be better able to perceive nuances between the filters.

I have no opinion on this but you are sending a whole lot of people here into fetal position screaming "this isn't SBAF". ;)

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I have no opinion on this but you are sending a whole lot of people here into fetal position screaming "this isn't SBAF". ;)
Just sharing my subjective opinion... I’d recommend anyone reading it to throw as much salt as needed. Subjective differences can be perceived, but that doesn’t nullify the objectivity of ASR. And that’s really the point I’m trying to make when sharing my subjective perception.

Or do what I do and buy a bunch of different gear that test well and see which one you can live with.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
Last edited:

poopy

Does anybody know what's the current lead time to get a dac8 pro or stereo?

I sent a couple of messages to [email protected] but never gotten any replies.

poopy

So that's about the right time to order for a Xmas present then :)

Aldo

Indeed a nice Christmas present !
but for the whole family to be able to play with it would need bluetooth or airplay, at home ...
Apparently he doesn't have it, my wife and children will gut me if Santa drops this streamer / DAC at the foot of the tree :'(

poopy

but for the whole family to be able to play with it would need bluetooth or airplay, at home ...

Apparently he doesn't have it, my wife and children will gut me if Santa drops this streamer / DAC at the foot of the tree :'(

For Bluetooth, you can find a cheap Bluetooth receiver with optical output. I have an Audioengine B1 doing that. But you can find cheaper.

For Airplay, well maybe matrix element X would be a better choice? Not the same price though.

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
I use RoPieeeXL on the built in Pi and it supports AirPlay. Even if you don’t use Roon. Some (or perhaps all - not sure) versions of Volumio also support AirPlay. Volumio comes pre-installed.

Attachments

• BEE7CDF3-2F6F-4D2D-AB46-B522C984E4F8.png
    BEE7CDF3-2F6F-4D2D-AB46-B522C984E4F8.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 150

poopy

I use RoPieeeXL on the built in Pi and it supports AirPlay. Even if you don’t use Roon. Some (or perhaps all - not sure) versions of Volumio also support AirPlay. Volumio comes pre-installed.

Thanks for that I was forgetting about Volumio!

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have never encountered this particular issue with the RME, usually it is ‘seen’ instantly.
Very odd.
Keith

Top Bottom