• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto Dac8 Pro alternative?

goldistan

Thanks.

1. My source is Topping D10 (SPDIF) and I also have a Gustard handy (AES).
2. I'm using the terrible miniDSP volume so I have no volume control at all, the new DSP/DAC solution must supply that.
3. I don't have the skills nor equipment to reproduce your measurements from post #200, so I can't correct the delays. Also, you said they are inconsistent when you power cycle the DSP, and that is a deal breaker for me.
4. I like the MOTU but not so RPi, unless there's a step by step guide for total noobs.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

1. My source is Topping D10 (SPDIF) and I also have a Gustard handy (AES).
2. I'm using the terrible miniDSP volume so I have no volume control at all, the new DSP/DAC solution must supply that.
3. I don't have the skills nor equipment to reproduce your measurements from post #200, so I can't correct the delays. Also, you said they are inconsistent when you power cycle the DSP, and that is a deal breaker for me.
4. I like the MOTU but not so RPi, unless there's a step by step guide for total noobs.

1. So your source is a computer? I assume a PC? I am not familiar with windows audio but I do know there are all sorts of windows programs which can implement the DSP necessary for the LX521. Many options are listed in this thread -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...r-software-for-windows-linux-macos-ios.26180/. I am sure you can also get some good suggestions on OPLUG. Not sure if you are a Roon user but Roon is also an excellent DSP option if you are.

2. Do you need remote controlled volume? Or is a knob OK? You don't seem to like miniDSP but to me the soon to be released digital output version of the miniDSP Flex upstream of a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 would be an ideal setup. Flex would give you volume control / indication and many input options (including analog).

3. This is entirely an Okto issue. If you are not using the Okto I would not be concerned.

4. I have detailed setup instructions in this post -> #11. They require some knowledge of how to use a Linux command line but are otherwise straight forward. Once you get the web server set up then you can modify / implement all the filters in a GUI. Again you could do DSP on your computer and you would not need to use the RPi.

Michael

goldistan

2. Do you need remote controlled volume? Or is a knob OK? You don't seem to like miniDSP but to me the soon to be released digital output version of the miniDSP Flex upstream of a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 would be an ideal setup. Flex would give you volume control / indication and many input options (including analog).
I want a remote unless the unit is properly grounded
3. This is entirely an Okto issue. If you are not using the Okto I would not be concerned.
Can I use 4xTopping E30 or similar, like OP asked? how can I verify they are in phase?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want a remote unless the unit is properly grounded

Can I use 4xTopping E30 or similar, like OP asked? how can I verify they are in phase?

As long as they are receiving SPDIF signals that are synced they should remain synced. A DDRC-88D will provide 4 sets of synced stereo signals. If you wanted to do DSP in software on your computer you could use an UDIO-8 or a RME digiface instead.

As previously mentioned you need a 2 channel ADC to verify. Something like a Focusrite 2i2 or MOTU M2.

Michael

jamescarter1982

has anybody considered a professional digital electronic crossover like the xta 448 . I'm looking for the best solution for a 4 way active speaker and would prefer not to have to use a computer everytime I wanted to listen to music . although i guess it would be ok if the computer automatically booted to jriver or something similar and then spotify could be controlled with my phone . I currently have a laptop into the TV then into a pioneer vsa ax10i as multichannel dac

goldistan

has anybody considered a professional digital electronic crossover like the xta 448 . I'm looking for the best solution for a 4 way active speaker and would prefer not to have to use a computer everytime I wanted to listen to music . although i guess it would be ok if the computer automatically booted to jriver or something similar and then spotify could be controlled with my phone . I currently have a laptop into the TV then into a pioneer vsa ax10i as multichannel dac
Those things usually cost $5K and perform worse than a $70 Topping

goldistan

Agree that spec'd analog performance of the XTA 448 is not exceptional (and there is no way I am paying $5K for that) but considering I do not see any Topping multichannel DACs or DSPs seems a bit unfair to compare them.

Michael

I'm considering 4xTopping DACs as a 8ch solution, I started another thread and it seems viable.

jamescarter1982

Agree that spec'd analog performance of the XTA 448 is not exceptional (and there is no way I am paying $5K for that) but considering I do not see any Topping multichannel DACs or DSPs seems a bit unfair to compare them.

Michael
what I'd really like is a multichannel dsp with parametric eq that could feed separate stereo dacs . I would like something that could be set up and then left rather than using a pc

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what I'd really like is a multichannel dsp with parametric eq that could feed separate stereo dacs . I would like something that could be set up and then left rather than using a pc

There are a few options do this, basic premise is that you need something with an ASRC that will sync all outputs.

1) miniDSP DDRC-88D
2) miniDSP nanoDIGI (discontinued, only available used)
3) miniDSP U-DIO8 + RPi4 (using CamillaDSP or similar on the RPi4)

Should also mention that you can implement DSP on a RPi4 without the RPi4 being your source (as hinted at in the U-DIO8 example above). This allows you to use a RPi4 with a pro audio interface like a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 which will be a much more compact solution than multiple stereo DACs, be less expensive and have way more processing power than DDRC-88D and nanoDIGI.

Michael

jamescarter1982

There are a few options do this, basic premise is that you need something with an ASRC that will sync all outputs.

1) miniDSP DDRC-88D
2) miniDSP nanoDIGI (discontinued, only available used)
3) miniDSP U-DIO8 + RPi4 (using CamillaDSP or similar on the RPi4)

Should also mention that you can implement DSP on a RPi4 without the RPi4 being your source (as hinted at in the U-DIO8 example above). This allows you to use a RPi4 with a pro audio interface like a MOTU Ultralite Mk5 which will be a much more compact solution than multiple stereo DACs, be less expensive and have way more processing power than DDRC-88D and nanoDIGI.

Michael
OK thanks Michael ! what's the general consensus about the sound quality if mini dsp product when used digitally like this ? . I don't know if I might be better off staying with my jriver way of doing things and spending the money on a nice pc . or alternatively save for a weiss eq1 if I'm already spending £1k on mini dsp tbh I'd rather save a bit longer and get the highest possible quality eq and maybe do the crossover in the analogue domain .

thanks again!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK thanks Michael ! what's the general consensus about the sound quality if mini dsp product when used digitally like this ? . I don't know if I might be better off staying with my jriver way of doing things and spending the money on a nice pc . or alternatively save for a weiss eq1 if I'm already spending £1k on mini dsp tbh I'd rather save a bit longer and get the highest possible quality eq and maybe do the crossover in the analogue domain .

thanks again!

In my experience the digital performance is quite good. nanoDIGI seems somewhat limited by the onboard ASRC but is still better than -115 dB THD+N. I have not used the DDRC-88D directly but have used the underlying miniSHARC module and I've measured THD + N close to -130 dB. I'm probably not the best person to talk to about sound quality differences related to good measuring digital audio products as I really do not think it matters at all.

These days I do not think you are going to touch the overall quality of doing DSP on a computer (whether Mac, Windows or Linux) with high performance DAC(s). I am also a big fan of doing the DSP on a dedicated RPi4 as it is very stable and has all the processing power you will need.

Michael

goldistan

These days I do not think you are going to touch the overall quality of doing DSP on a computer (whether Mac, Windows or Linux) with high performance DAC(s). I am also a big fan of doing the DSP on a dedicated RPi4 as it is very stable and has all the processing power you will need.

Michael
Looks like there's a market need for "consumer grade" RPi based DSP, something you plug in and then configure with GUI, like miniDSP.
However at its current state it's not accessible to consumers. just creating the Linux users can make a man go nuts.

jamescarter1982

In my experience the digital performance is quite good. nanoDIGI seems somewhat limited by the onboard ASRC but is still better than -115 dB THD+N. I have not used the DDRC-88D directly but have used the underlying miniSHARC module and I've measured THD + N close to -130 dB. I'm probably not the best person to talk to about sound quality differences related to good measuring digital audio products as I really do not think it matters at all.

Michael
OK thanks this have given me some more things to read about . I need to weigh up the cost / potential performance of my different options I think

gjm

Bear in mind the Okto Dac8 Stereo includes a Raspberry Pi4 for streaming via Ethernet and WiFi.
It is an all-in-one solution.

Perhaps not a consideration if you're after the Dac8 Pro!

Zoomer

Price increase to 1289€ (for both products). That makes my shortlist even shorter.

gjm

Price increase to 1289€ (for both products). That makes my shortlist even shorter.

You've a shortlist of DACs better than this one, for less money? I'd be keen to see it! (I'm looking for a new DAC.)

Top Bottom