• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto Dac8 Pro alternative?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems like there is no way to use this with a miniDSP SHD studio or Flex as they can't output on USB. Is there any good non-PC DSP room correction and crossover that can output over USB or is this limited to PC based systems?

Raspberry Pi running CamillaDSP can use the SHD as a capture device and assuming the DM7 works on Linux could route the captured signal to the DM7 as a playback device. Similarly you could add a TOSLINK input to the DM7 by using a cheap hifimediy TOSLINK to USB device.

Although to me using a SHD duplicates the most interesting functionality of the DM7 (screen / IR volume control) and I would probably lean towards one of the more trusted pro audio options to pair with the SHD but YMMV.

Michael

wisechoice

I ordered this, along with a DB25 snake and a/b switcher to test alongside my current setup, for the time being via the Volume8.
Hoping the switcher doesn't degrade the quality even more than the volume knob, which crackles when I turn it!

The AES inputs on the Dac8 Pro would actually be better for my purposes, so maybe this release will alleviate some of the demand pressure, or perhaps even free up existing supply :cool:

In the meantime, I ordered a used RME ADI-4 DD, which should allow me to complete the chain for HDMI sources (HDMI switcher -> HDMI to SDI converter -> SDI to Audio 4K converter -> ADI-4 DD -> Digiface USB -> Mac mini -> DM7 or back out to Digiface + other DACs).

I can't tell if things are getting simpler or more convoluted, or both.

dped90

Top Bottom