• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, no cables; was communicated as such on website.
Their website does say it comes with a USB cable, though no mention of power cord. Still I can't ever remember an electronic component coming without a power cord, and I've bought more than a few.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In my case (received in May 2020), no power cord but one usb 2.0 cable included. The owner's manual should be downloaded from OKTO site...

Chobes11

That is strange that it doesn’t come with a power cord…oh well
My Dac8 is order #374 from March and the latest update was end of this month.

Zooqu1ko

I don't think it's all that strange, since there's a risk that the DAC could get held up in customs of even destroyed if it comes with a power cord that doesn't follow the right regulations and/or isn't properly certified. It saves a small bit of shipping weight on top of that.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hadn't thought of the customs thing.
I have dozens of those power cords - so many I had to find a large box to store them all in! - so I'm glad that neither the Okto nor Buckeye amps came with more of them!
Ditto USB cables (I think mine came with one, tho).
Less waste, more ability to customize your install. IMO.

Maltman

My Okto arrived 8 month later - but still i dont have a solution for my second input. I want to hook up a Source (Toslink or HDMI) to AES/EBU. Is there any small device doing the transfer from 8ch Tos/Hdmi to 4x AES/EBU?

Burki

Got my Okto DAC 8 PRO last week, which I've ordered last year after 8 months.
Now the question: The installed firmware is 1.42 and it seems, that it will not work under Linux systems.
In another forum I've read, that the version 1.41 works with Linux and also a version 1.43 seems to work with Linux.
So, what are there experience in this forum with Linux?

Zooqu1ko

I have a problem getting a signal out of the AES out when playing a signal via USB (the plan is to connect a computer via DDRC88d to a pair of Genelec 8240). The signal is played on analog outputs 1&2, but as far as I can see, there's no valid signal at all on the AES output - my Workstation claims there's a 0 Hz sampling rate, and there's no audio coming out of the speakers no matter how I connect the DAC8. I'm using Pure USB mode. The cables seem to be OK (properly wired 1:1, when using the same wires in a loop between any other AES/EBU devices, playback works flawlessly. I've tried a reset to defaults without a change in behavior.

I haven't tested if AES 1 in to AES out is working. Other than that, does anyone have any ideas what and how to proceed?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Zooqu1ko,

Just for your reference, my DAC8PRO (firmware ver. 1.32) works perfectly for AES/EBU digital output (intact digital out of through CH1+CH2) in Pure USB Mode as shared here in my thread.

Firmware ver. of your DAC8PRO?

Do you have perfect headphone out (CH1+CH2 under preamp functions including gains)? I assume "Yes" for this...

Have you tried any other DAC unit (e.g. ONKYO DAC-1000 in my case) fully capable of AES/EBU digital-in?

Have you contacted with Pavel of OKTO regarding your AES/EBU issue?

Zooqu1ko

Hello Zooqu1ko,

Just for your reference, my DAC8PRO (firmware ver. 1.32) works perfectly for AES/EBU digital output (intact digital out of through CH1+CH2) in Pure USB Mode as shared here in my thread.

Firmware ver. of your DAC8PRO?
Do you have perfect headphone out (CH1+CH2 under preamp functions including gains)? I assume "Yes" for this...
I seem to have no headphones at hand with the proper plug, and I've mislaid my 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, so I can't test that. Given that the XLR analog outs are working perfectly, I'd assume that the headphone out should too - AFAIK there's no separate DAC for the headphone, it's just a separate amplifier on DAC channels 1+2.

Have you tried any other DAC unit (e.g. ONKYO DAC-1000 in my case) fully capable of AES/EBU digital-in?
No DAC per se, but the DDRC-88d, the Genelecs and my workstation all talk AES/EBU.

Have you contacted with Pavel of OKTO regarding your AES/EBU issue?
Not yet. I assumed I might have overlooked something obvious.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
AFAIK there's no separate DAC for the headphone, it's just a separate amplifier on DAC channels 1+2.

Yes, you are right. There should be no problem for headphone out. You would please ignore my point on headphone out.

I hope you will find proper solution very soon. Would you please share the issue and your solution when you fix it?

Burki

With the current firmware 1.42 I'll get no sound output while playing 48 kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz resources under Windows using the ASIO driver.
Also switching between this bitrates results sometimes in stopping working the DAC (ASIO will not see the DAC anymore) at all and so I've to reboot the DAC.
Has anyone's DAC the same behaviour?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With the current firmware 1.42 I'll get no sound output while playing 48 kHz/96 kHz/192 kHz resources under Windows using the ASIO driver.
Also switching between this bitrates results sometimes in stopping working the DAC (ASIO will not see the DAC anymore) at all and so I've to reboot the DAC.
Has anyone's DAC the same behaviour?

This sounds very very strange; I never heard this issue before.

No, not at all with my DAC8PRO (firmware 1.32). Have you contacted with Pavel of OKTO regarding your specific issue?

Dueprocess

My order is (371) and I was told just over a week ago after making enquiries that mine was expected to ship in three weeks.

Order was originally placed on the 13th of March.

My Dac8 is order #374 from March and the latest update was end of this month.

Have either of you heard since? I am #370 (I believe I also ordered 3/13/21). I first reached out in mid/late July, and at that time, I was told my unit was likely to ship in 5 weeks (consistent with the responses you received). I reached out a couple days ago for another update, and I received a response stating that I should now expect my unit to ship in late September / early October due to further delays.

I understand it's a difficult time; I'm just trying to get a feel for when it will actually ship out. I tried to coordinate my amp purchases to coincide with my Okto delivery (my thought was there was no sense in buying my amps early, only to find a better option was available by the time the Okto actually shipped), but that didn't pan out.

Chobes11

Have either of you heard since? I am #370 (I believe I also ordered 3/13/21). I first reached out in mid/late July, and at that time, I was told my unit was likely to ship in 5 weeks (consistent with the responses you received). I reached out a couple days ago for another update, and I received a response stating that I should now expect my unit to ship in late September / early October due to further delays.

I understand it's a difficult time; I'm just trying to get a feel for when it will actually ship out. I tried to coordinate my amp purchases to coincide with my Okto delivery (my thought was there was no sense in buying my amps early, only to find a better option was available by the time the Okto actually shipped), but that didn't pan out.
Yea my thought process was exactly yours… I sent an email yesterday bc they told me it should ship end of August. Haven’t heard anything since. Seems they don’t know enough to give an accurate dat and just keep pushing out a month

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not expecting any Okto as at first, I considered it on the high price tag's side.
But truly envied the ergonomic design and streaming option.
However, I truly feel sorry for all of you expecting since 3 and now 4 months their dac.
Where's the bottleneck? Is it hand made? Even so, having so many orders why isn't he hiring staff ?

It's painful and I had already reacted some 78 posts ago.
I just wonder if you shouldn't buy some interim dac and sell it later :p

Dueprocess

I'm not expecting any Okto as at first, I considered it on the high price tag's side.
But truly envied the ergonomic design and streaming option.
However, I truly feel sorry for all of you expecting since 3 and now 4 months their dac.
Where's the bottleneck? Is it hand made? Even so, having so many orders why isn't he hiring staff ?

It's painful and I had already reacted some 78 posts ago.
I just wonder if you shouldn't buy some interim dac and sell it later :p

Luckily, I have a Motu M4 from my desktop setup and some TRS > XLR cables I can use to test my amps out when they arrive in the next week or so (I need the mic input from the Motu for my PC, though, so I can't borrow it for too long).

I am not so much frustrated by the wait as I am by the apparent lack of transparency re: potential delivery times. It appears to be an excellent product, and I'm happy to be patient and to support a small business producing high quality work (especially in today's environment). That said, I would much rather hear that it's going to take another 6 months and find it delivered in 5, than hear it will be delivered in 1 month 5 times over.

I'll certainly be disappointed if a higher current Purifi module (or something from a competitor) is released before the DAC arrives.

Last edited:

jumbo

My order #371 shipped last Wednesday or Thursday from Prague.

It's been mentioned earlier I think that the units don't always ship corresponding to order numbers but I imagine you wont have to wait too much longer.

Top Bottom