• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking forward to get this multichannel DAC, Can you then just use Okto as a pre/pro plug it straight into a 7 channel amplifier and then plug the OPPO UDO 205?

Even though I do not fully understand your point, but just for your reference, I once tested OKTO DAC8PRO to YAMAHA MX-A5200 11-Channel amplifier with 8 XLR cables feeding crossovered 8 channels into MX-A5200. It fully worked functionally. If needed, please visit the specific post #175 in my project.
WS000635.JPG

Descartes

Major Contributor
Even though I do not fully understand your point, but just for your reference, I once tested OKTO DAC8PRO to YAMAHA MX-A5200 11-Channel amplifier with 8 XLR cables feeding crossovered 8 channels into MX-A5200. It fully worked functionally. If needed, please visit the specific post #175 in my project.
View attachment 129463

Ok can you just plug the OKTO DAC8PRO into a 7 channel amplifier to play multichannel music?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
How good is the sound since it has no possibilities of EQ?
How can you say that there is no possibility for EQ? I run DSP in my host machine upstream from the DAC.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok can you just plug the OKTO DAC8PRO into a 7 channel amplifier to play multichannel music?
Yes we can, of course!

If your amplifier(s) have only unbalanced RCA inputs, you may use "pin-3 floating (not connected)" XLR-RCA adaptors like this one from EMOTIVA.
I actually purchased 4 pieces of it, and confirmed that "pin-3 is floating, not connected" simply by my tester, and found it worked nicely to connect DAC8PRO's XLR output into YAMAHA A-S301, my tentative amp which has no XLR input terminal.

If you would like to try/use this adaptor, please be careful that the RCA female connector's inside connection (for pin-2 of XLR) may be a little bit loose; if this would be the case, you may carefully tighten it (carefully bend the connecting metals slightly towards inside direction) by very tiny minus screwdriver or very tiny awl.

Of course, as OKTO strongly suggests, you may better to use XLR capable amplifier(s), like my system, to fully utilize DAC8PRO's wonderful specs and sound quality.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Yes we can, of course!

If your amplifier(s) have only unbalanced RCA inputs, you may use "pin-3 floating (not connected)" XLR-RCA adaptors like this one from EMOTIVA.
I actually purchased 4 pieces of it, and confirmed that "pin-3 is floating, not connected" simply by my tester, and found it worked nicely to connect DAC8PRO's XLR output into YAMAHA A-S301, my tentative amp which has no XLR input terminal.

If you would like to try/use this adaptor, please be careful that the RCA female connector's inside connection (for pin-2 of XLR) may be a little bit loose; if this would be the case, you may carefully tighten it (carefully bend the connecting metals slightly towards inside direction) by very tiny minus screwdriver or very tiny awl.

Of course, as OKTO strongly suggests, you may better to use XLR capable amplifier(s), like my system, to fully utilize DAC8PRO's wonderful specs and sound quality.

I have XLR on my amplifier

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I mean you have to have an other pre-pro you can’t just have the Okto and the amplifier?
NO PREAMP. PC-based music server (with DSP capabilities) connects to DAC8 or exaSound s88 which connect via XLRs to power amps.

And, yes, I prefer it to using the Oppo.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went back and checked on the email I received from Okto when I ordered mine in January: it says :
"Payment status
Paid
Fulfillment status
Awaiting Processing"

and my bank records show I did in fact transfer ~$1,000 as a part of the ordering process. My recollection is the only way to order was to pay at the time.

So my question back to you is, where do you go to see order status? I didn't see it anywhere on the OktoResearch site so what am I missing?
It's on your invoice.

Roasty

Got an email saying my order #321 has shipped. Black with streamer. Delivery coming Wednesday.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got an email saying my order #321 has shipped. Black with streamer. Delivery coming Wednesday.
That has to be a DAC 8 Stereo rather than a DAC 8 Pro. Would be interesting to know the latest order number shipped on the Pro.

Machismo

What if someone needs to cancel the order and get the money back or change the delivery address because moving to a new place, since the manufacturing takes so extremely long time. Does he answer to emails normally, is it possible to communicate to him?

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What if someone needs to cancel the order and get the money back or change the delivery address because moving to a new place, since the manufacturing takes so extremely long time. Does he answer to emails normally, is it possible to communicate to him?
They do answer e-mails promptly. I have found them quite responsive. It wll undoubtedly be part of their procedure to contact you berfore shipment to re-verify the shipping address.

Bop

(Asking for a friend),

Having trouble running native DSD with a DAC8 Stereo (FW version 1.11) on Roon and HQPlayer also an issue with incorrect bitrate being displayed. Reinstallations of the firmware on Okto website (which appears to be the DIYINHK 4.13 driver) hasn't helped. And there haven't been any responses from Pavel/Okto support).

Does anyone happen to have a more updated driver/firmware that they could share?

Many thanks

Top Bottom