• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Zooqu1ko

If you are ordering from the US, keep an eye on shipping progress. IME, audio gear has a tendency to get stuck in customs.
That's no surprise, given that there are a few different classifications for audio equipment for customs purposes. The last time I had to go pick up a DAC from custom, the officer there was unsure if it was a (part of) a musical instrument or just an audio device. You can probably help that along by specifying the appropriate Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System code and the associated description, instead of or at least in addition to the marketing name. Apparently almost all countries, including the EU and US are using (almost?) the same codes and descriptions, so a DAC should be an "Audio-frequency electric amplifiers: Other" (where "Other" means that it's not for aviation)

https://rulings.cbp.gov/search?term=8518.40.2000

The applicable subheading for the DACS Two Channel Ultra Low Noise Microphone Amplifier and DACS Four Channel Phone Amplifier High Power/Low Noise will be 8518.40.2000, Harmonized Tariff Schedule of the United States (HTS), which provides for “Audio-frequency electric amplifiers: Other.”

The DAC8 Stereo could be classified differently (if/since?) you can record audio, e.g. streams from the internet and play it back from storage. Look it up and ask Pavel to include it in the customs declaration.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okto DAC8 pro order #186 arrived! Took just under 15 weeks but worth waiting for.
AC2110BF-7F00-4424-8880-6B5566563AA0.jpeg
8C30E30F-C243-414D-B889-F04A309F4665.jpeg

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Okto DAC8 pro order #186 arrived! Took just under 15 weeks but worth waiting for.View attachment 91910

Very nice to see your DAC8PRO together with two of AHB2, many congratulations!

I am also planning/dreaming to use two of AHB2 with DAC8PRO (received on May 9, #106 firmware ver.1.32) in my multichannel multiamplifier project, as shown in my recent amplifier selection plans, especially the Plan-3. Your system, therefore, is much interesting and encouraging for me. Thank you indeed for sharing your setup photo.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Feature requests( geared toward DAC8 pro but extendable to DAC8 stereo)

1) Initial On volume setting: I plan to use the auto on feature but it would be nice if there was a programmable volume setting that would be applied when the unit is turned on to prevent any surprises.

2) Direct remote commands: I plan to integrate the Okto DAC into my music/HT system which uses a logitech harmony hub. I use one button "watch a movie" or "listen to music" settings. Finite state machine based menus and remote schemes always cause problems when the device is not in the expected state. It would be nice to have dedicated universal remote commands that do the following regardless of where in the menu you happen to be:

Need to have:
On : turns on if off , stays on if on
Off: Turns off if on , stays off if off
Volume up: Always turns volume up regardless of menu state
Volume Down: Always turns volume down regardless of menu state

Nice to have
Mute: always mutes regardless of state, defeated by volume up
Input- USB - sets input to USB regardless of menu state or current input
Input - AES - sets input to AES regardless of menu state or current input
now that the unit is here I’m enjoying it and think it’s great but please add direct remote commands for use with universal remotes and home automation sequencing. I programmed my harmony hub to just allow for on /off and volume up/down so as not to get lost in the menu but it only mostly works. Always turns on and volume works. Turns odd sometimes and getting stuck in mute is a problem (would be fixed if volume up turned mute off) to make this product perfect A firmware update with direct remote commands would be awesome, please see my earlier suggestions quoted above.

navin

1. I can send 2.1 channel music and 5.1 HT content via USB to the DAC in separate channels of the total 8 channels (with shared sub-channel).
2. I would like to take the 2 channels for music to a stereo amp to the L and R speakers.
3. I would like to take the 5 channels of HT to a 5-channel amp but must use the same L and R speakers, Speakers have only one pair of inputs.
4. The sub-channel will be shared between the two and connected to a powered subwoofer which is not an issue as the DAC channel is shared.

My set up is exactly this (since 2011).

• My CD player is connected via RCA to a stereo integrated amp that has "power amp in"
  • All other devices (PS4, Cable TV, Apple TV, BluRay/DVD player, etc.) are connected to an AVR
  • The AVR front left and right outputs are connected to the stereo integrated amp
  • Both the AVR's LFE out and the Integrated amp's Pre Out are connected to a subwoofer (it has both LFE and L/R inputs)

When I use my CD player I don't need to use my AVR. I can run it in 2.0 or 2.1 mode depending on if I turn my subwoofer on or not.

When I use any other source my AVR uses the Integrated amplifier as a power amplifier for front channels. My AVR then only needs to power the centre and surround speakers greatly reducing the demand on the AVR.

navin

Better to describe with pictures. My PC set up with crossovers is already done as described here
I have a 8 channel amp right now where all of them can go through but it is not good enough for music.

In my view, you do not need an 8 channel amp and 8 channels of DAC.

For HT use a high-end DAC is overkill.

Just send 2 channel audio to a 2 channel DAC which will feed a good stereo amplifier.
Then send all HT via HDMI to an AVR that will decode the Dolby/THX information and directly power just the centre and surround speakers. The stereo amplifier will power the front left and right speakers. Just choose a stereo amplifier that has "Pre in" and "Power out" connections.

I used a Keiga KGND-52100 subwoofer amplifier (which has been discontinued) but you can use the Dayton Audio SPA1000 plate amplifier (see link below). This plate amp has separate LFE and l/R inputs. My subwoofers are TC electronics 15" (front) and SEAS 10" (rear) each with its own amplifier. I do not use the rear subwoofer for stereo only for HT.
Dayton Audio - SPA1000 1000W Subwoofer Plate Amplifier

navin

For all uses of the Okto Dac8 STEREO I have 2 questions that have no been answered here:
Okto dac8 stereo DAC Review | Page 15 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

I am looking for a Media Streamer and DAC. This seems to offer a 1 box solution for both (if one orders the streamer with the DAC). The Media Streamer must be capable of streaming both video and audio (from either a local USB hard drive or the internet aka Netflix, Tidal etc.). See my posts here.
Where are all the dedicated streamer reviews? | Page 4 | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Other options I considered were connecting an RPi4 to the Audiophonics 9038PRO module via I2S but that involved understanding how to connect these 2 as well as providing a good quality linear power supply for the DAC.
ESS ES9038PRO DAC Module I2S XLR 32bit 384khz DSD with Screen - Audiophonics

The second option was to use Allo BOSS I2S HAT with an RPi4 but that meant the DAC would not have any other inputs such as TosLink, SPDIF or USB.
BOSS I2S DAC v 1.2 (allo.com)

Questions:
  1. Can the STEREO version have one set of output single-ended?
  2. Why is the HDMI output of the optional RPi not offered? Can one just make an extension and DIY it?
Thank you and sorry for the interruption in your discussions.

Last edited:

junk01

okto dac8 stereo connection query

Hi everyone.

I hope you are enjoying your okto DACs. I'm looking to buy one, too. However, I would like to have the option of connecting it to my preamp as an alternative to connecting it directly to my poweramp.

My preamp is a Naim NAC52 (I guess it measures terribly compared to today's kit, but it's been with me a long time now and, like an old dog, I don't have the heart to put it down and get something better).

The Naim is not balanced and uses 180 degree DIN-5 connectors for source connections. I have read conflicting advice on how to wire a 2x XLR to DIN-5 Y-cable.

I'm reliably useless at most things in life, but consider myself particularly unadept at electrical engineering so I'd be really grateful if anyone could guide me on which XLR pins should connect to which DIN pins and what I should do regarding the shielding and whether to connect XLR pins 1 and 3 etc.

I've contacted Naim support but haven't heard back from them yet probably because of Covid.

Below is the socket diagram from my manual:
1607107470089.png

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Last edited:

Matt 5fe1

Hi, does anyone know if the AES outputs re-clock an AES input signal in AES mode? Would it make sense to input to the source (AES) into the DAC, then feed the AES out to the DSP, and the AES outputs of the dsp back into the DAC?

Thanks

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice to see your DAC8PRO together with two of AHB2, many congratulations!

I am also planning/dreaming to use two of AHB2 with DAC8PRO (received on May 9, #106 firmware ver.1.32) in my multichannel multiamplifier project, as shown in my recent amplifier selection plans, especially the Plan-3. Your system, therefore, is much interesting and encouraging for me. Thank you indeed for sharing your setup photo.
I have a Purifi Eval 1 and am giving serious consideratiion to adding an Octo 8 DAC Pro.

Zooqu1ko

Hi, does anyone know if the AES outputs re-clock an AES input signal in AES mode?
I don't think there's any significant buffering going on, which would severely limit the potential for re-clocking, but I've got no Idea.
Would it make sense to input to the source (AES) into the DAC, then feed the AES out to the DSP, and the AES outputs of the dsp back into the DAC?
Unlikely. Your DSP should not care about jitter or any other clock irregularities, as long as it can decode the digital data. For the D/A conversion, the DAC does all the re-clocking it needs.

Matt 5fe1

I don't think there's any significant buffering going on, which would severely limit the potential for re-clocking, but I've got no Idea.Unlikely. Your DSP should not care about jitter or any other clock irregularities, as long as it can decode the digital data. For the D/A conversion, the DAC does all the re-clocking it needs.

Thank you, that makes sense - (although shows how much there is to learn) . Have to occupy myself somehow waiting for delivery :)

Maltman

Placed my order for a DAC 8 Pro today, is there anyone using the 8 Pro only for HT reasons? Im still struggeling to find a solution for more inputs, especially from HDMI-only devices. I want to use the DAC 8 Pro as my pre.

Top Bottom