• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my order n ° 157 ordered June 26 not arrived yet. how is it possible that No. 162 and 172 was delivered? I am very annoyed about this! history stinks!
Is yours a stereo or pro? that might explain the difference.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rob58

4 months is a very long time to wait. I bought with a promise of 6/8 weeks and continues to sell with this expectation without changing the delivery forecast in 4 or maybe 5 months. this sales policy is incorrect.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
4 months is a very long time to wait. I bought with a promise of 6/8 weeks and continues to sell with this expectation without changing the delivery forecast in 4 or maybe 5 months. this sales policy is incorrect.
My understanding is that their suppliers are not always able to deliver... I can visualize tens of Dac8 spread on benches waiting for their missing part. It is worth the wait though...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That nothing. People who signed up for the Smyth A16 Realiser in 2016 have many of their kickstarter and all of their preorder customer still waiting for delivery of their units.

slags

@Vasr
The challenge, of course is now to get properly DTS (etc) surround decoded multi-channel audio into your USB DAC.
Sigh.

Ok so I am sitting on the fence about the DAC8Pro, and my main use case is that I want one universal system for Music, HT and Gaming.

My questions:
1. If I plug the DAC8 into my Windows box via USB, will it appear as a standard 8 channel sound device?
2. Will I be able to select 5.1 or 7.1 as my sound format for normal Windows sound playback?
3. If I can get my multichannel (DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HDMA, etc.) BluRays to play in VLC or Kodi with the below sound selections available, will they come through the DAC8 as proper multichannel audio, if I select 7.1 in Windows? Example below of the audio menu from a BluRay in VLC:
sound_formats.png

4. Is there any lag with the HT use case from (3.)?
5. What happens if I use an ASIO driver? Does it still work?
6. Has anyone tried multichannel audio from gaming? Does that work?

Sorry for these pedantic questions! It's just a lot of cash to potentially waste on return shipping. :)

Marklarian

my order n ° 157 ordered June 26 not arrived yet. how is it possible that No. 162 and 172 was delivered? I am very annoyed about this! history stinks!

My 162 "shipped" but has not shown up. The fedex link shows only that fedex received "shipping information" on Oct 11 and nothing else - so who knows if it even has shipped. I live north of Boston, so I wondered if other ppl receiving their units lived closer to Praha. I've asked for some information from Pavel, but have not heard yet. Hopefully it will show up soon.

Paul.

Neddy

Ok so I am sitting on the fence about the DAC8Pro, and my main use case is that I want one universal system for Music, HT and Gaming.

My questions:
1. If I plug the DAC8 into my Windows box via USB, will it appear as a standard 8 channel sound device?
2. Will I be able to select 5.1 or 7.1 as my sound format for normal Windows sound playback?
3. If I can get my multichannel (DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-HDMA, etc.) BluRays to play in VLC or Kodi with the below sound selections available, will they come through the DAC8 as proper multichannel audio, if I select 7.1 in Windows? Example below of the audio menu from a BluRay in VLC:
View attachment 89939
4. Is there any lag with the HT use case from (3.)?
5. What happens if I use an ASIO driver? Does it still work?
6. Has anyone tried multichannel audio from gaming? Does that work?

Sorry for these pedantic questions! It's just a lot of cash to potentially waste on return shipping. :)

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Don't know - I took a different (Oppo->ADC->USB) approach to that, just seemed simpler than messing with software (and fee$!).
But I can try out VLC and let you know. (I just got a 'new' BR movie I want to try out, and have a BR drive on the PC/NUC.)
4. Not with my routing, so I would expect even less if playing back from a PC BR drive.
5. IRCC, the supplied/recommended ASIO driver (DIYsomething) solved some issues; can't remember what anymore.
6. No, but no reason to expect any issues running from a PC.

So far, I haven't read of anyone not getting their OktoDAC (after months of praying to the OktoGods), or returning it for mfg defects.
I'm the last to defend poor customer service, but also respect the value proposition of a 'one man shop' during a worsening global pandemic.
I DO know from personal experience that startup/new product intros can eat you alive with good/annoying/pestiful questions, and prevent you from ever getting anything out the door.
Not to mention software upgrades in flight ("Do we ship with beta software, old software - and deal with customer upgrade headaches, or hold shipments until we think it's good?").:facepalm:

For me, it boiled down to: is it worth a $1k risk for one of the worlds best DACs, for the only solution that worked for my setup, for a very high quality product for very reasonable cost (given the design/components). The wait was longer than 'promised' but not by all that much (maybe a month - but that was during the holiday season, too.)

For me - and apparently many others - the risk was 'checked off'. Even with v1.02 software, and still missing proper rack ears, it continues to work as intended, and aside from (2) apparently storm related 'loss of contact' events (unplug, plug back in) has been absolutely flawless in operation.

One risk mitigation, in the event you don't like how it works - would simply be that I'll bet you could make all your money back and then some selling it off - look at selling prices of equally rare Oppo 205s vs purchase costs.

So I'm inclined to say Put on your Big Boy Pants, make sure you keep all the documentation of your purchases, and Apply Mindfulness (or Patience).

Best wishes to all, and Stay Safe!!:cool:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
index.php
I do not know about VLC or Kodi but it works fine with JRiver playing MkVs (ripped from BluRays).

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received an email that my order #186 (DAC8 Pro standard) shipped!

Reactions: mkt

Marklarian

For general information about shipping - I guess my got held up at the post office in Czech. This is the email I got from Pavel...

I am very sorry for the delay. I have checked it and there was some trouble with the clearance on the Czech side that caused it. It seems to be resolved now and your dac8 should depart Czech Republic in 1-2 days. The shipping to the US then takes 3-4 working days.

Kind regards
Pavel

Neddy

FYI, mine got held up by US customs (Fedex) for another day or two. Turned out they had no idea what a 'DAC' was. Pavel said he'd be more descriptive in future? Good luck!

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rob58

Okto Research <[email protected]>
28 ott 2020, 17:06 (15 ore fa)

a me

Hi Roberto,

I am going to check it and get back to you tomorrow.

Kind regards
Pavel

countbasey

#178 stereo. i was told yesterday it might ship next week. looking forward to it. anybody try moode vs roopie on these units?

EchoChamber

Forum Donor
If you are ordering from the US, keep an eye on shipping progress. IME, audio gear has a tendency to get stuck in customs. If that’s the case call the courrier and ask what information is missing. Once they have what’s needed to clear customs it moves fast.

DHL thought my pair of Genelec 8030C coming from France was a clock and sent me the wrong form... lol

AFAIK, there are no custom duties for audio gear manufacturers in the EU. It’s a trade treaty to facilitate import/export with Europe.

Last edited:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Order #222 for my Dac8 Pro for active XO on a 3 way w/ subs. I'm hoping for around the holidays but can wait. In the meantime I'm having some nCore amps made and new balanced cables (nothing fancy, don't ask) so everything will be ready to go when it finally arrives.

Reactions: mkt
Top Bottom