• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Skookum

Welcome to ASR!!

After two weeks of usage, I have 0 complains. The sonic presentation overall is neutral and transparent - music just flows through it. Usage is very simple with the Apple remote and the large volume display makes it easy to read the attenuation value frontage couch. I find it also look slick in silver. It’s the only piece of gear I have exposed in my living room outside of my TV and speakers.

I think the most demanding part of it is setting up the Pi if you don’t intend to use Volumio like in my case. But that was a set and forget.

I currently use AES/EBU, Toslink and “Stream” through the Pi as inputs.

Thanks EchoChamber for the welcome!

Great to hear the positive feedback, I have a number of Pi's up and running performing various functions and that is actually one of the attractions of the Okto as well for me.

I think its very innovative and cost effective how Okto has taken advantage of a really well established technology with an active community (being the Pi) and incorporated that into their DAC.

:cool::cool::cool:

seashell

A question for the owners, does the DAC8 provide USB access to the volume control (USB HID? Meaning you can control the master volume of the DAC8 using a slider on the computer and/or the remote/volume knob of the DAC8 and they stay in sync? Or is volume only controllable via the hardware?

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A question for the owners, does the DAC8 provide USB access to the volume control (USB HID? Meaning you can control the master volume of the DAC8 using a slider on the computer and/or the remote/volume knob of the DAC8 and they stay in sync? Or is volume only controllable via the hardware?
AFAIK, only hardware.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. That seems to be the trend unfortunately.
I think that use case is rare, probably not worth implementing... I know my Genelec speakers can be controlled that way through the GLM interface, so it must be possible.

seashell

I think that use case is rare, probably not worth implementing... I know my Genelec speakers can be controlled that way through the GLM interface, so it must be possible.
Yeah even my ~15 year old Denon AVR can have its volume set via its network interface or the remote/dial.

It's a shame to me it's overlooked in all these USB DACs. One of the advantages of having your volume being a rotary control and not a pot is that you can have it be controlled from multiple inputs. (And you no longer have to have a motorized dial to have a remote.)

Even a very feature-laden DAC like the RME ADI-2 DAC didn't implement this feature.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Only by hardware but that includes the $20 Apple Remote.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Still 3,5 months to be shipped ? No ramp-up ?
What is the announced lead time nowadays ?

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
I think COVID is still factoring in to the availability of parts. The final piece mine required was the top panel. The entire unit was assembled except for that, so I had to wait. I was offered a cosmetically flawed panel, which would have allowed sooner shipment, but I elected to wait.
Since the build quality and performance are excellent, and there are few alternatives, you just grin and bear the wait time. It is super hard to wait, though.

Neto Rare

I ordered my Stereo the second week of Sept. I'm estimating mine to arrive before xmas! HOHOHOHO?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered my Stereo the second week of Sept. I'm estimating mine to arrive before xmas! HOHOHOHO?
What order number are they up to?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

rob58

my order n ° 157 ordered June 26 not arrived yet. how is it possible that No. 162 and 172 was delivered? I am very annoyed about this! history stinks!

Top Bottom