• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Tom C

Major Contributor
Seems there are now a growing number of us, so thought this might be helpful.
Received mine about two weeks ago. Got an HDPlex case and put together a Windows 10 PC specifically dedicated to audio playback. Using JRiverMC and the ASIO driver made available to me by Pavel of Okto Research.
Everything’s working well so far, but I have one question. I have a few multichannel SACDs ripped to files that when played, are converted to PCM by JRiver and put out. If I go into DSP Studio in JRiver and set Output Encoding to DSD, under the Channels section, the number of channels automatically changes to 2, and the files get converted to stereo during playback. I can only choose “source number of channels” if I select Output Encoding to none.
Anyone know a work around to playback the files in native DSD? It’s not a huge deal to me, as I don’t think I could really here a difference between the two, but I’d like to know if it’s possible.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
1. I never use "source number of channels." I always use 5.1 or 7.1.
2. I never (or hardly ever) set output encoding to anything. To enable DSD output for DSD sources, use "enable bitstreaming DSD."

Last edited:

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
2. I never (or hardly ever) set output encoding to anything. To enable DSD output for DSD sources, use "enable bitstreaming DSD."
Kal, if I wanted to buy an Octo 8, and, for one of my use cases, just use it as a volume control/source switcher to pass the output from the AES/EBU to say a pair of D & D8Cs, would the Octo do that without a D to A/A to D processing step? Or does to D to A all its inputs whether it's needed or not?

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
There is no A/D in the device.

Feyire

I'm waiting on my DAC8 Stereo to ship :)

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Well, OK!
I’ll give this a go next chance I get.
Thanks again Kal.

Kundroc

Kal, if I wanted to buy an Octo 8, and, for one of my use cases, just use it as a volume control/source switcher to pass the output from the AES/EBU to say a pair of D & D8Cs, would the Octo do that without a D to A/A to D processing step? Or does to D to A all its inputs whether it's needed or not?
I can't find any indication of volume control for AES output in the documentation of the Okto. Does it work as a pass through of channels 1&2?
You can achieve the desired function with e.g. a RME ADI-2 Pro

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
AES is a digital signal, no volume control within it.
OktoDACPro outputs AES Ch1&2 (same as Ch1&2 analog, but at FF.) This is how I'm using it.
Pavel did indicate he would include a software update to add the AES outputs to the Mute function, however.
The DAC can also take in AES (8 chs) and send that back to a PC via USB to further processing (and then output to another - or same - device).
So, while you can use it as an AES_>USB converter, but not as a volume control (for the AES part, anyway.)
May I suggest the manual? It's a pretty quick read.;)

Newman

Major Contributor
If I want to take 8 channels of analog pre-out from my AVR and go A/D => DSP => D/A, and the Okto8 is the D/A solution, what is a suitable partner device for the A/D process?

cheers

Neddy

(Maybe I'll get this one right?:)
I'm using a Motu 8Pre USB for ADC from an Oppo->Motu->USB->PC/JRiver->OktoPro.
It works with just the Motu ASIO driver, and allows me to switch between Oppo/Bluray/Roku sources and other PC file sources.
There are probably better ADCs out there, so 'suitable' is up to you - but this one is pretty inexpensive used, has decent specs/performance, and works.
I did just do a comparison between a Mch DSD64 file vs. the same tracks on Bluray Audio, and I do lose some 'fidelity' with the Oppo/Motu chain, but that's fine for the few (HT and Phono) uses I have for it.

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks. I am trying to avoid PC though, so does the Motu handle ADC with outputs other than USB?

Neddy

I wondered about that.
I went thru 'heck' trying to find/chose an ADC that I thought 'might work' - so am sharing my success to help others out in that regard.
The interesting thing about this Motu is that they default to different configs when USB is not present; IRCC, the one I have sets itself to AES?/fiber? out with no USB (ah, but two universes of 4 chans each, tho).
It takes a deep read of their manuals to suss the details out on that.
Many Front panel switches too - not all of which I've (needed to) figure out yet. o_O
l'll bet one of their boxes will do what you want - and with the OktoDAC Pro you have the option of looking for an ADC that does AES out - but I only found one (older) ADC that looked suitable for that...ah..the Genelec AD9200A?
Unfortunately, none of the ADCs I found (affordable) came anywhere close to the Okto's specs....

Newman

Major Contributor
Thanks for the additional information.

It's a bit unfortunate that finding ADC is so hard and finding DAC is so plentiful and easy.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I of course confirmed the DSDx2 native bit perfect playback with any of the two channels (stereo) of DAC8PRO using JRiver and Roon for DIYNHK USB ASIO output, it worked just perfectly fine.

I believe that, however, all the multi-channel crossover EQ functions of JRiver and Roon are in 192 kHz 24 bit, not in native DSD, if you would like to use them.

In my multi-channel project, I am using software cross over EKIO which also works in 192 kHz 24 bit and the internal processing is in 64 bit floating point IIR filtering using a cascade of second order transposed direct form II biquad sections.

I found and believe that with EKIO and DAC8PRO, we can achieve same level of crossover and sound quality like the extraordinary expensive TRINNOV ALTITUDE 32 which also runs in 192 kHz on UNIX.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I believe that, however, all the multi-channel crossover EQ functions of JRiver and Roon are in 192 kHz 24 bit, not in native DSD, if you would like to use them.
Unquestionably. No consumer DSP can run DSD.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Got an HDPlex case and put together a Windows 10 PC specifically dedicated to audio playback. Using JRiverMC and the ASIO driver made available to me by Pavel of Okto Research.

Can you share the URL of this ASIO driver ?

OP
Tom C

Tom C

Major Contributor
Can you share the URL of this ASIO driver ?
Sorry, I can’t. It came from a site like Drop Box (it wasn’t Drop Box, but something that seemed similar to me, and based in Europe). The link was sent directly to me by Pavel, and was time limited. I had one week to download it, and it is no longer available to me at that site. I expect if you are a customer and ask Pavel, he would make it available to you.

Top Bottom