• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

wineds

So I e-mailed Pavel about the firmware issue and for any news on the possibility of an update for early adopters such as myself. I also inquired about sending the unit back to get updated, but after waiting for 2 weeks, no reply whatsoever.

Still no response? I've tried 4 times to contact him this year about a support issue without response.

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Which Furman conditioner did you have?
I've since replaced it with something a bit more modern but looking at the current offerings it was like a Furman PL-Pro C with 20A rating and the little lights that pulled out front.

Dgolh

I eat snails and frogs with some white wine
Hi happy Okto owners ;)

it took me one full year or so but I have owned a dac stereo8 with streaming board for one month now. I'm in the process of getting the most of it.
I used to have a Minidsp DDRC22D in my set but I can't figure now how to use it because it has to be in some kind of a "loop" being fed with a digital signal coming out of a source and send it back to the dac. I mostly use the Okto as my principal source with qobuz or the nas and can't find the way to properly include the Dirac in it.
Any suggestion ?

Sorry for my English, not really my native language even if I spent some times in the past using it on daily basis.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Any suggestion ?
You would typically do:
PC/Streamer -> AES/Toslink/Spdif -> DDRC-22D -> AES/Toslink/Spdif -> dac8 Stereo.

Doing it that way would mean that you can no longer use the internal RPi as streaming endpoint though.

Dgolh

That's precisely my point :(. Though I still have two solutions:
- I'll give a try to the new dsp included in Volumio
- I'll keep on using my Cocktail Audio X50D as streaming ending point.
There is of course a third one: try to convince my wife that our living room can be fitted with a full room treatment deco, not the easiest one,
I must say.

Zooqu1ko

Hi happy Okto owners ;)

it took me one full year or so but I have owned a dac stereo8 with streaming board for one month now. I'm in the process of getting the most of it.
I used to have a Minidsp DDRC22D in my set but I can't figure now how to use it because it has to be in some kind of a "loop" being fed with a digital signal coming out of a source and send it back to the dac. I mostly use the Okto as my principal source with qobuz or the nas and can't find the way to properly include the Dirac in it.
Any suggestion ?
There's already a loop, and it's external. Remove the external USB jumper, get an USB<>S/PDIF or USB<>AES/EBU thing and connect its USB to the RPI, the output to the DDRC22D, and its output to the DAC8. You can probably leave the jumper connected and just choose the new output device in Volumio (or whatever you are using).

Dgolh

I've just received a Douk Audio U2 and set it. Unfortunately, things are not going the way I hoped them to go: my current connection are:
- RJ 45==>Okto
- Douk ==>Okto and spdif from the Douk to Minidsp
- AES/EBU from Minidsp to Okto

I can't stream and use the Dirac at the same time whichever choice I make on the Okto and on Volumio for input or output. I'm probably miss something.

Any Idea ?

staticV3

Master Contributor
- RJ 45==>Okto
- Douk ==>Okto and spdif from the Douk to Minidsp
- AES/EBU from Minidsp to Okto
Am I understanding your current chain correctly?
Artboard 1.png

That won't work.
You cannot plug the Douk into your okto via USB. Both Douk and okto are USB slave devices. Two USB slave devices cannot communicate to each other. USB communication is always between host and slave.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Aah, I think I'm misunderstanding. I'm sorry.
Is your current chain: Ethernet->Raspberry Pi->USB->Douk->SPDIF->MiniDSP->AES->dac8?

staticV3

Master Contributor
could you try Ethernet->Raspberry Pi->USB->Douk->SPDIF->dac8 Stereo? Basically take the miniDSP out of the equation to make sure the Douk is working as intended.

Dgolh

It is now working with only a change of cables, now full spdif and of course with the 96 Hrz Minidsp limitation. I'll make a few tries tomorrow and make my decision between the Volumio dsp possibilities and the Minidsp. Many thanks for your help.

Machismo

The cheapest device that could do this is a miniDSP nanoDigi2x8B, which is still available but being discontinued. However, its filter options are relatively limited and its output is 4 SPDIF coax -- which isn't very compatible with the Okto's AES inputs.

After all the testing, what kind of spdif - aes cable worked the best with nano? I'm asking since I'm just about to start using my nanodigi2x8 with Okto. I'll use only half of the nanos outputs, so I hope that will work normally.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Machismo

Ok, thanks for the info! Right now I am running my system only 2 way with the SHD Studio + Okto. Works great like that of course since the Studio has xlr outputs. I guess if I had three of them I could have the Dirac active in the first one then route the outputs from that one to other two just for crossover purposes and have a four way system. Quite complicated, but I guess it would work also. I actually have already two of the SHD Studios, so only third one is missing hah. Having a that kind of setup would also introduce again some extra milliseconds of delay, which I'm not a fan of either.

Dueprocess

Ok, thanks for the info! Right now I am running my system only 2 way with the SHD Studio + Okto. Works great like that of course since the Studio has xlr outputs. I guess if I had three of them I could have the Dirac active in the first one then route the outputs from that one to other two just for crossover purposes and have a four way system. Quite complicated, but I guess it would work also. I actually have already two of the SHD Studios, so only third one is missing hah. Having a that kind of setup would also introduce again some extra milliseconds of delay, which I'm not a fan of either.
If you are considering the Mini DSP route, why not invest in a DDRC88D instead? You can use Studio > AES > DDRC88D > AES > Okto and get crossovers / DSP on all 8 channels individually, while using the Studio for source / volume / channel agnostic DSP.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Multiple SHD Studios will not work with the Okto. The Okto requires that all AES inputs be on the same clock domain and each SHD Studio will ASRC using a local clock.

For a stereo active system the best way to go is to do DSP in software (see link in my signature for how to do this with a RPi4). The Okto is literally built for this with the AES / USB mode. In such a setup using a single SHD Studio upstream of the Okto does solve a lot of issues, namely it gives you source selection, Dirac and ASRCs all inputs to 96 kHz so you can run your DSP software at a constant sample rate.

Michael

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are considering the Mini DSP route, why not invest in a DDRC88D instead? You can use Studio > AES > DDRC88D > AES > Okto and get crossovers / DSP on all 8 channels individually, while using the Studio for source / volume / channel agnostic DSP.

This is such a waste of money for a 2 channel system.

Michael

Top Bottom