• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

wineds

Mine measures 120 ohm but it's 240v version so yours will be different but should certainly be less than 500ohm. Also possible mean well 5v power supply is bad.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I sent them a purchase order as soon as I noticed they were accepting new orders. I got order confirmation back from them within a week or so and shipping info 2 weeks later. I know they are still there!

DWPress

Forum Donor
I get a reading of 58.25. Appreciate the help! I kept probing around and double checked my fuse when:

:facepalm::facepalm: I'm an idiot it seems. When I first replaced the fuse it was still all hooked up to all the cables (except power of course) and in the cramped space I slid the fuse into the spot for the spare fuse! I put it in correctly and power is restored, go figure. :facepalm::facepalm:

IMG_9805.jpg

I feel like a rank amateur freakin idiot for sure! I wonder what created such a stink then? Certainly couldn't have all come from a fried fast blow 400mA fuse and all my other amps are functional.

Thanks to all who offered condolences and helpful tips. I'm still cheezed at Okto for never getting back to me and I hope I don't ever have to reach out to them again. Still no regrets, this is a tremendous piece of hardware if you have need for it.

Grateful, humbled, happily looking forward to spending the evening hooking everything back up.

wineds

That's great news! The smell is likely from the transformer or the meanwell power supply I think which both would have copped a momentary whack from the surge.

Last edited:

goryu

I get a reading of 58.25. Appreciate the help! I kept probing around and double checked my fuse when:

:facepalm::facepalm: I'm an idiot it seems. When I first replaced the fuse it was still all hooked up to all the cables (except power of course) and in the cramped space I slid the fuse into the spot for the spare fuse! I put it in correctly and power is restored, go figure. :facepalm::facepalm:

View attachment 178335

I feel like a rank amateur freakin idiot for sure! I wonder what created such a stink then? Certainly couldn't have all come from a fried fast blow 400mA fuse and all my other amps are functional.

Thanks to all who offered condolences and helpful tips. I'm still cheezed at Okto for never getting back to me and I hope I don't ever have to reach out to them again. Still no regrets, this is a tremendous piece of hardware if you have need for it.

Grateful, humbled, happily looking forward to spending the evening hooking everything back up.

Imagine how you would have felt if you had sent it back for repair....

DWPress

Forum Donor
Imagine how you would have felt if you had sent it back for repair....
LOL, you are absolutely right! If possible, even more stupid than I feel right now!

DWPress

Forum Donor
I sent them a purchase order as soon as I noticed they were accepting new orders. I got order confirmation back from them within a week or so and shipping info 2 weeks later. I know they are still there!
Not for me though, I sent them an email the same day you put in your order. :( But as you said, glad I wasn't in contact and having it in route across the ocean to Prague as of now.

JRS

Major Contributor
Here are some interior pics of my fried Okto. Still a lingering scent of some burnt electronics but nothing visible to my eye. Very modular, I'm hoping the PSU/transformer is maybe the culprit. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron to be dangerous but no skill at tracing circuits.
I love the layout, almost a work of art. Small consolation when it's dead in the water. Does it just not turn on?

JRS

Major Contributor

View attachment 178335

I know your pain and your relief. My DEQX was caught in a horrendous LF feedback loop. By the time I got to it, that acrid smell had filled the room, and I swear I saw smoke. Afraid to do more damage, I just boxed it up and returned it to DEQX, only to get the message, and what is supposed to be wrong? Checks out fine. At the time I had no $$ replace it and assumed 500. to repair, at least. Embarrassed but sooo grateful!!

Glad to see it is alive and kicking!

DWPress

Forum Donor
Having the miniDSP 4x10 back in the system for the past couple of weeks really makes me appreciate the Okto even more once again. Purely subjective on the sound as it does take a bit of time to swap out 12 cables (the 4x10 had phoenix terminals for 8 XLR) and making sure they're all going where they are supposed to go so not a blind A/B test in any way. Using the same XO and convolution filters on both units the Okto eliminates the midrange sibilance that always plagued me with the 4x10 and that I'd noted again recently. In despair of the probability of not getting the Okto back in the system and nothing comparable available I had started shopping for replacement midrange drivers - even though I've measured the ones I have countless times and they're just fine.

The only reasons I can come up with for this very subjective observation are:
  • Software XO vrs the software XO within the hardware miniDSP? (I was using none of the PEQ anywhere on the 4x10)
  • Different construction of the XOs?
  • The asynchronous conversion to 24/96 for all processing inside the miniDSP as opposed to direct USB audio in/out from the computer processing it?
  • I used the same Sir3 reverb plugin for the convolution but different apps hosted it.
  • D/A SINAD??
  • One less thing in the signal path???
I mostly use Roon and set the sample rate to 24/96 across the board to simplify convolution filter use and because I'd spent nearly 10 years feeding the miniDSP that sample rate. My listening space is treated, has an ambient sound level of around 42dB and, may I humbly say, a pretty resolving sound system capable of some very high SPL. I've been at this for 30 years in the same room so I'd like to think I have a good ear for the sound coming from the speakers I built myself and continue to transform.

Placebo? Maybe. Crazy? Probably. Still cheesed at Okto? Yes. BUT very happy to have the product and freely acknowledge my troubleshooting stupidity! But it was a pretty crazy week dealing with insurance and fixing/replacing all the other things the surge took out in my 3 buildings + rental on the property if I have any defense.

Last edited:

DWPress

Forum Donor
You're gonna love it, just make sure you buy a surge protector.
Surge went right through my Furman power conditioner/protector. Buy a really good one or unplug stuff!

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Surge went right through my Furman power conditioner/protector. Buy a really good one or unplug stuff!
All I ever hear about is how good those Furman's are. Well, guess we have to reconsider Darko's opinion on this one. :facepalm:

Feyire

I'm planning to e-mail him about the firmware issue again in the new year.
So I e-mailed Pavel about the firmware issue and for any news on the possibility of an update for early adopters such as myself. I also inquired about sending the unit back to get updated, but after waiting for 2 weeks, no reply whatsoever.

poopy

Could someone confirm that trigger out is 5V with dac8 pro/stereo (and not the usual 12V)?

Keened

Forum Donor
Could someone confirm that trigger out is 5V with dac8 pro/stereo (and not the usual 12V)?
They seem to be answering emails now (sent one asking what was happening a few days ago and got an answer), FYI

Top Bottom