• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Valhalla

Is there any way to use Okto DAC8 Pro as active crossover for a 3-4ways loudspeaker?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any way to use Okto DAC8 Pro as active crossover for a 3-4ways loudspeaker?

Your visit to my project thread will be much welcome... You may find my latest system setup here #416 and here #636 (remote thread).

Or, do you mean that use "DAC8PRO itself" as XO/EQ by programing its XMOS? This was once discussed by @fabriceo in here and here, but I heard nothing from him afterwards. As you may find here, he wrote only four posts, and disappeared.

Danville Signal's dspNexus 2/8 would be of interesting for you, if you would really like to have one-box solution for XO/EQ plus 8-ch USB DAC.

Last edited:

mikessi

As dualasmak already posted, definitely yes. From a PC with appropriate software, or via dedicated DSP. The cheapest device that could do this is a miniDSP nanoDigi2x8B, which is still available but being discontinued. However, its filter options are relatively limited and its output is 4 SPDIF coax -- which isn't very compatible with the Okto's AES inputs. The MiniDSP DDRC-88D is a good option, if pricey. Lots of power/flexibility in its DSP, noise probably similar to DAC8, and AES outputs. I scanned the manual: the Dirac software & miniDSP software (for x-over) are separate downloads/installations. Looks like you don't even need the Dirac to run the x-over portion. If running both, I think there'd be a way to disengage the Dirac if desired.

I have a DAC8 FW1.42 sitting on desk, used as a pricey PC/headphone DAC/amp. I'm considering whether to throw another grand down this rabbit hole, to get the DDRC-88D to make the Okto operational with my 4-ways.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As dualasmak already posted, definitely yes. From a PC with appropriate software, or via dedicated DSP. The cheapest device that could do this is a miniDSP nanoDigi2x8B, which is still available but being discontinued. However, its filter options are relatively limited and its output is 4 SPDIF coax -- which isn't very compatible with the Okto's AES inputs. The MiniDSP DDRC-88D is a good option, if pricey. Lots of power/flexibility in its DSP, noise probably similar to DAC8, and AES outputs. I scanned the manual: the Dirac software & miniDSP software (for x-over) are sperate downloads. Looks like you don't even need the Dirac to run the x-over portion. If running both, I think there'd be a way to disengage the Dirac if desired.

I have a DAC8 FW1.42 sitting on desk, used as a pricey PC/headphone DAC/amp. I'm considering whether to throw another grand down this rabbit hole, to get the DDRC-88D to make the Okto operational with my 4-ways.

nanoDIGI does not play nice with the Okto, at least when using all 8 channels, I do not recommend it.

If you do not need Dirac I highly recommend a $50 RPi4 running Ubuntu Server 21.10 and CamillaDSP. Way more powerful than the miniDSP and the Okto is plug and play on Linux. Requires about 30 minutes of setup and the ability to follow some pretty easy Linux command line instructions. Basically the same thing as the PC option but much cheaper and smaller. You can either use the RPi4 as a source (Roon, squeezelite, airplay, etc) or you can use an AES input in the AES / USB mode. This is nice as instead of needing 4 AES inputs you can input 1 stereo AES signal, use CamillaDSP to do DSP / x-over / routing and then output processed 4 way analog signals.

Michael

mikessi

nanoDIGI does not play nice with the Okto, at least when using all 8 channels, I do not recommend it.

If you do not need Dirac I highly recommend a $50 RPi4 running Ubuntu Server 21.10 and CamillaDSP. Way more powerful than the miniDSP and the Okto is plug and play on Linux. Requires about 30 minutes of setup and the ability to follow some pretty easy Linux command line instructions. Basically the same thing as the PC option but much cheaper and smaller. You can either use the RPi4 as a source (Roon, squeezelite, airplay, etc) or you can use an AES input in the AES / USB mode. This is nice as instead of needing 4 AES inputs you can input 1 stereo AES signal, use CamillaDSP to do DSP / x-over / routing and then output processed 4 way analog signals.

Michael
So Michael, this is news to me! Have you documented this in more detail elsewhere? Re: "you can input 1 stereo AES signal, use CamillaDSP to do DSP / x-over / routing and then output processed 4 way analog signals." -- so where would that input go to? Can you use a USB connection for output from the RPi4 to the Okto?

JRS

Major Contributor
Absolutely, which is why I come here to this thread in the hopes that new orders are being taken and units are flying out the door. I've invested a fair amount of time into exactly this question as I have an active 3 way w/ sub that I need to change setups for. There are many ways to do a triamped active DSP speaker and the Okto is a perfect place to do it. You just need a way to develop the filters and then a place to convolve the filters which could be a miniDSP 4x10HD (not ideal, but doable), a DSP able musical iinstrument interface, a computer that can range from a Rasperry Pi or a NUC or any thing larger you don't mind having in your listening room such as a full sized laptop. Alternatively JRivers or Roon can be used to convole the filters.

Given the MIA status of Okto, a musical instrument DSP interface from companies like Focusrite, Motu or RME and scads of others that can do at least 2x8 will work. Finally,one could get a high end sound card to be used in a PC and skip the extra box altogether.

I wish there were a do it all in one box with great specs, multiple digital inputs and outputs along with balanced analog outs x 8 for say 1500 to 2000 dollars. There's are several threads devoted to this kind of project your asking about. Good luck--my opinion is this is the future of audio, esp if one isn't afraid of some DYI to save some $$$.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you wanted to use you PC as the source, DePhonica has a crossover that's freeware. It does not have a WDM diriver, so you would either need to pair it with ASIO for all or use something with a WDM driver like JRiver as it's front end. Aside from that, it's simple, intuitive, feature laden, and free.

It will do a 2 x 4 crossover.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Michael, this is news to me! Have you documented this in more detail elsewhere? Re: "you can input 1 stereo AES signal, use CamillaDSP to do DSP / x-over / routing and then output processed 4 way analog signals." -- so where would that input go to? Can you use a USB connection for output from the RPi4 to the Okto?

This post -> https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex.28660/post-1008711 gives the basic idea of the setup that is required. That example was not specifically for the Okto but the Okto is one of the best options for such a setup as it has volume control / indication and a remote.

The Okto has 3 operating modes, Pure AES, Pure USB and AES / USB. You can use Pure USB and AES / USB with the RPi4 to do DSP.

In AES / USB mode the Okto takes an AES input (can actually take up to 8 channels of AES input) routes it to the host (RPi4) via USB where DSP is applied and then the processed signal is routed back to the Okto via USB.

In Pure USB mode is similar you just start with the RPi4 as your source via USB.

Michael

Keened

Forum Donor
Would it be better to do multi-sub DSP in the Pi with a separate DAC (allowing true stereo subwoofers if you so wanted) or with a 2x4HD from one the analog outs of the Okto?

The first one risks DAC drifting but I'm not sure that's a big deal with subwoofers (also can't you just build in a padded delay?), the latter forces you to downmix to mono and do your DSP seperate from the rest of the channels.

Alternatively, if the AES out can act as a clock for another Okto, could it act as a clock for a Pi with an AES in?

DWPress

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Two weeks without hearing anything back from Okto. I know it's the holidays but I've had to field questions and respond to customers during this time from my press's recent book release....

My insurance adjuster isn't quite sure how to deal with the Okto claim, I've my receipt of course but with Okto non-responsive for repairs and no other comparable piece of equipment available anywhere there are questions. I'd settle for a Motu Ultralite Mk5 or step up to a Danville Signal dsp Nexus 2/8 but neither of these are available until sometime in the coming first quarter of the year.

Currently I'm back to using my miniDSP 4x10 (glad I didn't sell it I guess) with a 2 channel convolution filter but miss the processing power of my computer for individual channel correction.

Any suggestions for replacement gear or insurance adjusters would be welcome.

DWPress

Forum Donor
Still no reply from Okto after 3 emails....

Keened

Forum Donor
Still no reply from Okto after 3 emails....
I was going to be snarky and link a method for setting word based alerts, but I don't actually see it. Unless they have a dedicated social media team member monitoring forums you'll have to @ them.

Still though, setting a Google alert for your company's name and products is a pretty easy thing to set up and gets you at least halfway there.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I've sent them messages from the email I did the original transaction around citing my order # and previous discussion as well as using the contact form on their website. I check the site almost daily to see if they are offering units for sale. Not sure how much more pro-active I can be.

Keened

Forum Donor
I've sent them messages from the email I did the original transaction around citing my order # and previous discussion as well as using the contact form on their website. I check the site almost daily to see if they are offering units for sale. Not sure how much more pro-active I can be.
Not an accuation of you not trying, just more if you're going to talk about it in a forum where they have membership you should @Okto Research

wineds

I know you likely want to get the power company to pay for the repair but maybe take the lid off and post some detailed photos? Could reveal the extent of any damage and who knows there might be a relatively easy fix.

DWPress

Forum Donor
I pulled the lid and could not see anything suspicious but will open it back up tomorrow and take some pics. Willing to do just about anything at this point.

@Okto Research I'd love to hear back...

DWPress

Forum Donor
Here are some interior pics of my fried Okto. Still a lingering scent of some burnt electronics but nothing visible to my eye. Very modular, I'm hoping the PSU/transformer is maybe the culprit. I'm handy enough with a soldering iron to be dangerous but no skill at tracing circuits.

IMG_9800.jpegIMG_9802.jpegIMG_9803.jpegIMG_9804.jpeg

wineds

If you have a multimeter please unplug mains lead from wall socket and measure the resistance between the two plug pins. Do this with a known good fuse installed. This will check continuity of the transformer primaries.

Top Bottom