• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Okto 8 Owner’s Thread

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Little help w/DIYINHK driver dissapearing from Jriver?
For the 4th or 5th time in the last few years, I've fired up my audio PC only to find Jriver reporting the OktoDAC driver control panel is missing.
(See screen shot below.)
(Almost always seems to happen after a W10 upgrade.)
I've always been able to figure it out and get it reinstalled and working in the past, but this time I'm not having any luck - perhaps due to the 'missing bits' from the stroke I had last year?
IN any event, this is extremely frustrating, as JR has NO useful suggestions or ideas (typical of JR).
*How do I 'Uninstall' DIYINHK from Jriver?
*Reinstalling DIYINHK seems to work properly, but when I look for the driver in system devices, it's not there.
*The DIYINHK install seems to require unplugging/replugging the OktoDAC USB, but I can't tell whether that's done anything or not.
* Rebooting endless times has not helped at all, of course.
Any Suggestions? What am I missing (since I've 'redone' this before in the past.)??
JR screenshot:
Jrivr.jpg

Thanks much - Any help would be appreciated!!

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
*How do I 'Uninstall' DIYINHK from Jriver?
You uninstall it cleanly from Windows. Then JRiver will not see it,
*Reinstalling DIYINHK seems to work properly, but when I look for the driver in system devices, it's not there.
If you reinstall, do you see a desktop shortcut icon to the DIYINHK control panel?

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Neddy,

I have never experienced the DIYINHK driver issue which you are currently having...

This is not a suggestion for you, but I just checked my status regarding your concerns while selecting DIYIHNK ASIO driver as Audio Device.

JRiver MC 28.0.75 (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (most updated as of October 18, 2021);
WS002494.JPG

And the screen captures of DIYINHK Control Panel;
WS002493.JPG

Looks everything is fine and working OK. My DIYIHNK ASIO driver for DAC8PRO is Ver. 4.59.0; same for yours?

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried uninstalling DIYINHK driver at the "Programs and Functions" in the Window's Control Panel?
After uninstalling the DIYINHK at "Programs and Functions", I recommend you fully restarting Windows with shift-key pressed (hard shutdown and hard restart), and then reinstall the DIYINHK ASIO driver.

After the reinstallation of DIYIHNK ASIO driver, again I would like to suggest you hard restart of the windows, and then try JRiver.

WS002496.JPG

Last edited:

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for your info,,, if you search the registry file of Windows by keyword of "DIYINHK" you would find it many places in the registry.
It is highly possible the traces of such registry still exist even after the complete uninstallation of the DIYINHK ASIO driver.

Of course, to edit the registry is your own risk and responsibility!
I do not suggest/recommend you editing the registry unless you are really familiar and well experienced with doing this.

Last edited:

Neddy

@Kal Rubinson & @dualazmak
Thank you very much!

Since the stroke it's like I've lost 5% of my 'rational reasoning' abilities (next up, sitting on the porch and yelling at teenagers!) - so, for instance, when I ran the DIYINHK re-install and saw that it did an uninstall first, I never considered trying Windows uninstall by itself, which would remove it from JRivers lists. Earlier I would have done the un-install first.
(It's just really weird to know for a fact that you've lost some 'critical reasoning' brain cells, along with about the same percentage of vocabulary words!)

And, no, I saw no indication of a DIYINHK proper install (after the reinstall attempt) - either in short cuts or programs list....though usually both of those (and the JRiver screens as posted by dualazmak) would be normal for my system.

I also noticed (see keyword search, above:) that my original DIYINHK install was from a zipped folder buried deep inside other folders, and will have to check and see if a) that sets it's default install location, and if That is not on the Path list -which MIGHT explain why I've had this same problem a number of times.
It seems like every time MS has done a major W10 update it's wiped out the DIYINHK driver - so figuring out root cause for that would be a help.

I worked in IT for more than 30 years, and Still Hate It, esp poorly written sw UIs.

I'll try these approaches and report back.

FYI, this NUC PC has a 'noisy fan' meltdown problem, so I was planning on replacing that and re-racking the NUC location in the rack, when the "not working here today' prompt came up - meaning that the NUC was screaming at me the entire time I was trying to troubleshoot this ! (Fix only One Thing At A Time, eh?)
So that sure didn't help focus, either!
:facepalm::mad::eek::D

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Kal Rubinson & @dualazmak
Thank you very much!
I also noticed (see keyword search, above:) that my original DIYINHK install was from a zipped folder buried deep inside other folders, and will have to check and see if a) that sets it's default install location, and if That is not on the Path list -which MIGHT explain why I've had this same problem a number of times.
It seems like every time MS has done a major W10 update it's wiped out the DIYINHK driver - so figuring out root cause for that would be a help.

You are quite welcome, we are very pleased helping with each other in ASR Forum!

The above point could be the critical issue in your case, I assume. I would like to suggest that you should extract the contents of the ZIP installation folder of DIYINHK (only DIYINHK_UsbAudio_v4.59.0_2019-02-28_setup.exe, I believe) into root of your C:drive or D:drive, and run the installation with highest administrator rights by right-clicking the exe file.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the stroke it's like I've lost 5% of my 'rational reasoning' abilities (next up, sitting on the porch and yelling at teenagers!)
Yelling at teenagers from your porch is independent from any stroke-related reasoning ability loss. There is absolutely nothing wrong with yelling at teenagers from your porch.

In fact, I'd be more concerned if you were not yelling at them from your porch.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI, this NUC PC has a 'noisy fan' meltdown problem, so I was planning on replacing that and re-racking the NUC location in the rack, when the "not working here today' prompt came up - meaning that the NUC was screaming at me the entire time I was trying to troubleshoot this ! (Fix only One Thing At A Time, eh?)
So that sure didn't help focus, either!
:facepalm::mad::eek::D

As for two of my DIY built audio dedicated Windows 10 Pro PC in my multichannel project, i.e. completely silent PCs, please refer to my post here.

Neddy

Quick update & Thank You all so much!

The reinstall of the driver did eventually work (thank you to @dualazmak for the reminder of 'proper' install locations!), but only after multiple tries. JRiver kept 'not recognizing' the uninstall/reinstall....but then 'suddenly' did.
There are too many variables (tried) for me to be certain, but it appears that I had to unplug the OktoDAC from the AC and then re-power it for the PC to 'recognize' the driver.

This seems to be an ongoing issue with my system - with either the driver failing to be recognized, or OktoDAC USB appearing to not work - but I have a suspicion that I am overdriving the remote out circuit on the OktoDAC (in constant mode, and is supposedly short circuit protected) as the AC controller I'm using requires ~ 150mA, and Okto is spec'd at 70).
I've acquired a DC-DC converter to 'fix' this, but havne't gotten around to wiring/installing it yet.
(I normally leave the system on all the time.)

BTW, this older NUC6i7KYK (Skull Canyon) fan is normally dead silent - either not audible, or never active in my configuration (it took me a while to figure out it WAS the NUC making that noise! )
Also, it appears that Intel at one time offered a free replacement for the fan, which I did not know when I ordered a new one.
The replacement was simple to install, and the PC is now back to running dead silent again.

When I get the full system re-racked and DC-DC converter installed for the remote On control I'll update this thread as to any findings, or not.

Many, many thanks again, to all who helped out!!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick update & Thank You all so much!
There are too many variables (tried) for me to be certain, but it appears that I had to unplug the OktoDAC from the AC and then re-power it for the PC to 'recognize' the driver.

Many, many thanks again, to all who helped out!!

Hello Neddy, thank you for your update.

You wrote;
> I had to unplug the OktoDAC from the AC and then re-power it for the PC to 'recognize' the driver.
I assume "unplug the USB cable to OKTO DAC8PRO, and then replug it" at PC (or at OKTO) should work better for your PC to recognize OKTO again...

dartinbout

Woohoo!!! I bought one on Ebay!!! This is a solution to one of my long term equipment goals. I have a very large library of multi-channel DSD albums. I have a pretty good soundcard (Auzentech), fitted with a changing selection of OP-Amps.

None of drivers available (I know about the Uni Xonar driver mods) will map correctly in J.River to use Asio. I can use WASAPI for 5.1 but I want more. This 8 channel DAC will do DSD128 and have some configuration options that should make my dream of exploiting the next level of reproducing some semblance of the live experience.

dartinbout

Woohoo!!! I bought one on Ebay!!! This is a solution to one of my long term equipment goals. I have a very large library of multi-channel DSD albums. I have a pretty good soundcard (Auzentech), fitted with a changing selection of OP-Amps.

None of drivers available (I know about the Uni Xonar driver mods) will map correctly in J.River to use Asio. I can use WASAPI for 5.1 but I want more. This 8 channel DAC will do DSD128 and have some configuration options that should make my dream of exploiting the next level of reproducing some semblance of the live experience.
Wow! After some ASIO challenges, I got this connected and it is everything I hoped for. Multichannel DSD sounds amazing. ASIO4All and J.River just produced a popping sound at regular intervals but DIYINHK solved that issue.

The status screen says this is unit #5 and is on firmware 1.0. Should I be concerned? I've not seen a change log for the later firmware (nor any source for the updater). I realize as the 2nd owner, I have no call on Pavel for support but I would be interested in any firmware info.

This DAC is the best I've ever heard. To those waiting for delivery, I suggest your patience be rewarded. This $1200 innovation (or in my case $800) is absolutely worth the wait. I have not seen anything even close to this level performance available for multichannel DSD128 x 8 at this price point. It shames every one of the AVR's I've had over the last 15 years (Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, Sony and others). Hopefully Okto will start taking orders again because this level of tech (at this insane value proposition) needs to be heard by a much wider audience.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Wow! After some ASIO challenges, I got this connected and it is everything I hoped for. Multichannel DSD sounds amazing. ASIO4All and J.River just produced a popping sound at regular intervals but DIYINHK solved that issue.

The status screen says this is unit #5 and is on firmware 1.0. Should I be concerned? I've not seen a change log for the later firmware (nor any source for the updater). I realize as the 2nd owner, I have no call on Pavel for support but I would be interested in any firmware info.

This DAC is the best I've ever heard. To those waiting for delivery, I suggest your patience be rewarded. This $1200 innovation (or in my case $800) is absolutely worth the wait. I have not seen anything even close to this level performance available for multichannel DSD128 x 8 at this price point. It shames every one of the AVR's I've had over the last 15 years (Marantz, NAD, Onkyo, Sony and others). Hopefully Okto will start taking orders again because this level of tech (at this insane value proposition) needs to be heard by a much wider audience.
I'm also on firmware 1.0 and got popping on aes input.
I would like to upgrade firmware, but it seems not possible because of hardware design defect on the firmware upgrade process.
Sad.

dartinbout

I only get it when I have a mismatch between J.River ASIO settings and file format. For example, I can get DSD512 to play at DSD128 but only if I do DOP. However DOP causes some DFF to error with the POP. I am creating different profiles (zones) for such circumstances. A minor inconvenience given the thrilling performance when everything works correctly.

Admittedly, I am in the "honeymoon" phase of exploring the DAC.

Neddy

I'm SN 20-something, FW 1.2
I get a short brief sharp pop on start up (w/hypex amps), and occasionally others during playback.
B/C of the 'lost it's mind' occurences I've had with my setup requiring A4All and JRiver re-installs (and failing memories) I've never quite (yet) chased down all the cases that cause it.
IRCC, setting the ASIO4ALL to 24 bit reduced but didn't elminate it completely?
So I'm still chasing that one down - I dont have a lot of super hi-rez titles, so not a huge concern for me.
For now I've just set JRiver for 24-192 for anything higher res than that?
Pavel was working on trialing firmware upgrades, but I lost track of what became of that.
But I definietley agree - aside from these really minor glitches, it's a VERY impressive bit of equipment - No Regrets, and many thanks to Pavel.
WIll be curious to see if/how you manage to tame the Pops, though.
Thanks!

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @dartinbout,

Congratulations for your successful setup with DA8PRO; it is a really amazing DAC, I fully agree with you.

Mine is SN44 firmware 1.32 working just perfectly fine.

BTW, just for your reference, some (many) of improperly processed/mastered (lack of proper quality control) HiRes music tracks, including DSD, contain rather high level of noises in over 30 kHz Fq range (Ultra High-Frequency, UHF noises). These inaudible UHF noises may or may-not be harmful to your amplifiers and/or tweeters, super-tweeters. You should be careful enough, however, if you have your beloved pet(s) (dogs, cats, birds) as they can hear these UHF noises. Please refer to my posts here (#362) through here (#386) on this issue and my counter measures.

poopy

Never had any issues with the drivers. I use DIYINHK ASIO with JRiver or HQPlayer.

Went frozen two or three times though over the last 6 months, potentially due to Windows forcing my desktop into sleep mode.
Just need to reset the DAC for 10 min or so by unplugging it from the mains.
When this happened the first time and didn’t know what to do (turning off-turning on didn’t change anythjng), I sent an email to Pavel who replied to me within a few hours with a solution. Impeccable.

Top Bottom