• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

OK, you are not really an audiophile if you haven't done this:........... (fun thread)

Wombat

Master Contributor

Too late. Retrieved the almost new HDD and CD/DVD drive and MS license key sticker. I figured the memory cards are probably obsolete. Ditched.
I had an i5 tower system(vs laptop i3) sitting around and thus I am on-line again. What happened to those laptop keyboards with a liquid-proof silicon membrane?
Apologies for OT.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hum... I have few fun facts, even considering my "young" age. :facepalm: :

- Signed a contract with one of my ex girlfriend saying "No Hi-Fi upgrade for the next five years"... I broke it when we broke up.

- Spend a ton of time reading reviews about power chords... Then building myself the ideal one, with OCC connectors and OCC conductor. I still have it.

- Believed the sound was better using XLR, only because the voltage was twice the regular RCA 2V.

- Believed in burn-in for cables (if so many people said it exists, it must be, right?)

- Bought many DACs only based on subjective reviews saying "It sounds better than a lot of products that cost XXX€s more".

- Believed that last sentence for many many things. Now, I get sick each time I read it.

- Then, I have chosen to make a break... few times later, I've been saved by ASR. :)

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It's going to take some time and a great deal of effort before I can trust @restorer-john again..

I was 18 or 19 remember... Maybe it was Wham's The Final, Midnight Oil's 10...1 or INXS's The Swing. All of them probably. :)

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I would put money on a bet that you were single..
I posted that one on behalf of @Sal1950

I remain a free ' man about town' .. I did buy a car for a girl once that (almost ) cost as much as one of my power cables.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In order to adjust and measure my Thorens TD125mkII from below i used 4 full cans of dr.Pepper to raise it up for access. The 40 pound unit fell and one can of soda ripped open and exploded into the electronics and motor assembly.....

Baked Bean cans are less explosive and give a more organic, energy dissipating footing for your TT. The contents however, can produce flammable gases when consumed.

Actually I did something similar to you with a TT many years ago. Suspended it between two dining chair seats and crawled under it to adjust some auto-return functions...

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I did buy a car for a girl once that (almost ) cost as much as one of my power cables.

From this guy?

1562916934854.png

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
This is a true story.

I'd tracked down a perfect (and I mean perfect) example of a lovely Luxman integrated amplifier I'd always wanted since I was young (gloss rosewood and gold etc) and it was on proud display on an oak blanket box near my sofas. My newly minted fiancee and I were enjoying champagne prior to dinner and she was still getting used to the engagement ring on her finger (it was heavy, 18 grams of platinum and plenty of diamonds).

She threw herself back on the sofa with her arms above her head and the ring chattered down the front panel of the Lux amp, leaving a staccato-like diamond scrape on the panel. I was mortified, but quickly said 'it doesn't matter, it's just another amplifier'. She made the point that if I hadn't bought such a big ring it would have never happened and it was technically my fault. I laughed at the time as it was kinda true.

I still have the Luxman amplifier, scratch and all.

Wombat

Master Contributor
This is a true story.

I'd tracked down a perfect (and I mean perfect) example of a lovely Luxman integrated amplifier I'd always wanted since I was young (gloss rosewood and gold etc) and it was on proud display on an oak blanket box near my sofas. My newly minted fiancee and I were enjoying champagne prior to dinner and she was still getting used to the engagement ring on her finger (it was heavy, 18 grams of platinum and plenty of diamonds).

She threw herself back on the sofa with her arms above her head and the ring chattered down the front panel of the Lux amp, leaving a staccato-like diamond scrape on the panel. I was mortified, but quickly said 'it doesn't matter, it's just another amplifier'. She made the point that if I hadn't bought such a big ring it would have never happened and it was technically my fault. I laughed at the time as it was kinda true.

I still have the Luxman amplifier, scratch and all.

My retired Luxman R 1050 receiver(purchased late 1970s) has the gold panel(champaigne to be correct) and rosewood case. It just needs a thorough going over and a pre-out/main-in mod to displace the current Nad integrated. John, give me a quote. :facepalm: It survived all relationships. ;)

Luxman R-1050.jpg

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor

At that point in time you probably failed to notice that from that moment on whatever happens it will always be your fault. But now you know it all too well.. :D

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I posted that one on behalf of @Sal1950

I remain a free ' man about town' .. I did buy a car for a girl once that (almost ) cost as much as one of my power cables.

The girl or the car?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I was waiting for the point when Don discovered sex. :cool:

Old engineer joke:

Engineer 1 (E1) walking to class while pushing a bike meets another engineer (E2).
E2: "Where'd you get the bike?"
E1: "I was walking along and this beautiful girl rides up, stops, throws off all her clothes, and says 'Take what you want!'"
E2: (Nodes sagely) "Good choice, the clothes wouldn't have fit."

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Speaker burn-in, part 2:

Setting up for a live outdoor gig with my infamous Blaze Linear driving a stack of Bose C800's (like 901's in a road case, facing with all the drivers toward the audience, no front driver). Show starts, guy runs in late, grabs a (metal folding) chair, runs up front, plops it down to the side with the leg on one of my speaker cables. No cap so it slices through the cable. Loud boom, dead amp, and smoke from one side of the C800 stack with one or two drivers popping out and one little curl of flame consuming the cone. People stared in disbelief while I shut down, walked to the guy, took his chair and placed in the back behind everybody else without saying a word (he actually sat in it; I figured he'd leave). Repurposed bass amp to run full range, split the left speaker array to mount one on the right, and the show went on.

Amazingly the guy paid for the repairs. I did all the labor myself and let him buy new drivers and output transistors.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Remembered:

Went to a guy with a reputation for genius once to upgrade the innards of my ADC turntable. Didn't have a car, so took the intercity bus two hours out into the sticks, then walked to his place. An exercise in endurance, let me tell you. When I got there his garage sold me on it, with big gutted Audio Research amps and tubes all over. Anyway, I came back two weeks later, again by bus, took it home, and the first thing I heard when I finished plugging it in was: ground loop.

Top Bottom