• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ok, what about top three female rock vocalists?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Kate Pierson
Annie Lennox
Chrissie Hynde

KP has possibly the most underrated but instantly recognisable voice in the pop/rock thing.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Elizabeth Fraser
Sandy Denny
PJ Harvey

alternatively:

Mary Margaret O'Hara
Joan Armatrading
Lavinia Blackwall

or perhaps:

Siouxsie
Beth Gibbons
Nico

I've never been good at making my mind up ... ;-)

Wasn't expecting a Lavinia Blackwall mention on here, but yes!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be a lot of mentions for distinctive voices over absolute technical ability yet no mention of Joni. Lets not even get into trying to define Rock.

Ill mull on my other favourites but some good shouts throughout this thread, many surprising.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems to be a lot of mentions for distinctive voices over absolute technical ability yet no mention of Joni. Lets not even get into trying to define Rock.

Ill mull on my other favourites but some good shouts throughout this thread, many surprising.
Many people can sing, but if listeners can’t recognize your voice off the radio, you won’t make it.

But yes, you have to have technical ability too.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Joni Mitchel has the best band in this video and she sings excellently too.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Many people can sing, but if listeners can’t recognize your voice off the radio, you won’t make it.

But yes, you have to have technical ability too.

Doesnt get much more distinctive than Chan Marshall/ Cat Power

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Joni Mitchel has the best band in this video and she sings excellently too.

I only recognise Jaco. Know any of the others ? Any of LA Express?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I only recognise Jaco. Know any of the others ? Any of LA Express?
Pat Methaney usually goes for a acoustic guitar sound although here in this video he plays a experimental guitar and lets loose. Jaco Pastorius is a obvious choice for bass and was Joni's boyfriend for some time too and the other musicians I've seen about my travels but they come up rarely in music sources that I frequent.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pat Methaney usually goes for a acoustic guitar sound although here in this video he plays a experimental guitar and lets loose. Jaco Pastorius is a obvious choice for bass and was Joni's boyfriend for some time too and the other musicians I've seen about my travels but they come up rarely in music sources that I frequent.

Ah, only ever heard of not seen pics of Pat Metheny. Not really my cup of tea. But yes, she didnt play with the lightweights, ever.

rgpit

Forum Donor
Janis Joplin
Stevie Nicks
Linda Ronstadt

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, just for tonight these ladies will be my 2 and 3. You wonder what sister on the left brings to the party. Until the 3 minute mark. Ooooft

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm limiting this to singers who are firmly in the ROCK genre (or heavier)

1. Ann Wilson
2. Pat Benatar
3. Tatiana Shmailyuk (Jinger)

Honorable mentions:
Lindsey Hale (Halestorm)
Maria Brink (In this Moment) <- this one is kind of a "total package" pick as I don't think of her as a virtuoso singer (like the others) but is an incredible "front woman" for the band mixing vocals, songwriting, performance, and visual skills.

Top Bottom